fitting engine

Hey guys

its been a long time coming but im hoping to get the engine in this weekend, not really a problem

however.. when i pulled the engine, im sure i seperated the engine from the box and pulled them seperatly.

ive been thinking about it and obviously its nicer if i can fix the box up to the engine and bolt it all up nice without bashing too many knuckles etc and swearing at the clutch spline with 70kg of box on my chest

so three options

box and engine seperate

box and engine in through the top

box and engine bolted to front subframe on trolly then drop shell over as per factory

anyone got any real world experience, ive pulled two engines but never put one in. ive had lots of experience with other cars and have used all of the above methods

ps ive done a lot of work on the engine bay so keeping it scratch free is essential. oh and its a tt

your thoughts

I took mine out and in with the box on, so much easier than messing about on our back struggling with the gearbox, you will need to undo the steering knuckle and drop the subframe a couple of inches. You will need to take it slow and careful not to damage your new paint lol, in, down a bit, in down a bit until its in, will help if you have another pair of hands with you.

I just about managed to scrape the engine and box in together, without lowering the subframe, the paintwork has a few scars lol

Same lol.

My excuse is my gravel drive, what a pig! Just taken my engine out and had to lift the engine and box as high as possible then roll the car back out the way and lower the engine down. Can't wait to move house and treat myself to a solid driveway lol.

I'll be putting it in with the box on the engine. My hoist can take a tonne, and last time I checked the box and engine dry weight is about 280kg. If the hoist can't take that weight I'd be reluctant to put just my engine on it and look for a new hoist as if it fails you'll have more than battle scars.

Patience and a friend is what I'm using.

i take mine in and out as one unit...take the drivers turbo ellbo off 1st and you dont have to move the steering joint or subframe.Ive made 2 brackets that fix to the 4 holed bracket under each side of top plenum and slide a bar across top of engine..this stops the need for chains or ropes and gives you plenty of controlled height over the front slam.

Last time I sprayed my shell I put engine and box in together, went in but keeping it away from all the new shiny paint was a nightmare and I caught it in a few places.

just respraying another shell, and will be putting box on afterwards, may even leave plenum off, I want to get it in without scratching anything and the smaller it is the better lol. I got gt2560 turbos too so gonna have less room:scared:

I'm terrified that I'll have to take mine out. Knowing me, I'll bounce the bloody block off every panel on the car. Including the tailgate! lol

Lol crazy man, only bled the brakes the other day and kicked mine off the axle stands, im one clumsy f@#ker...

• Trade
Lol it's still well under the 1 tonne most hoists are rated to. Obviously it's personal preference. I split them when taking them out which is why I'd rather them go in together this time around. Plenty of patience and more than one set of eyes, what can go wrong :D

It wont lift a tonne at max extension i bet,most are around 250 kgs,the zed engine is set far back in the chassis.

Untitled-1.png

With it separated, we managed to crane it in from the side. Because as jimmer said the engine is so far back. It meant the front bumper could stay on etc. just gotta be uber careful of the wing, but then you would have to watch front going in from there anyways. Serious tip though don't do it alone, having someone else tere to spot you makes things easier.

I did mine for about the 4th time recently.... I did it separated with the plenum off..... I stupidly forgot to do the egr delete before fitting engine back in....

But I did get all the bolts back in apart from one.... the drivers side one that goes through the transmission dipstick mounting bracket.... I still need to get to this one and forgot about it, till I read this thread......lol

It took me under an hour to get the engine from my stand into the bay on my own.... I wrapped the front upper wings and cross member with old cardboard boxes just to protect it....

Both turbo's on and forgot to undo the steering knuckle..... managed to clear it with some jiggling.....lol

I had a jack under the transmission to adjust the angle..... I think I was lucky as it lined up and slid in place pretty quickly.....

Gets easier with practice....... Wonder how quick Jeff can fit one??...... 5 minutes is my guess......lol