Radiator cross member replacement, day one.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hats off to you matey for doing this yourself

Cheers bud. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Hopefully I will make some serious progress tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Weld that box section in, cut out the other one and put it all back together [emoji13]

Simples. :lol:

Errrrmmmm, just my tuppence worth mate but I wouldn't weld that there.

Those legs won't move with the front subframe still in place,I personally would drill that angle iron and bolt across the front of the legs.

:ninja:

I agree with you Mantav8, but I am going to have to compromise I'm afraid.

Two reasons really,

1. I will have better access when welding, and 2. more importantly, I think it is a matter of bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Looking at the existing crossmember, it looks as though it has collapsed inwards already due to its weakened structure.

If the crossmember has collapsed inwards how will you correctly fit the wider replacement if you have welded in the support bar?

Fair question Andrew,

I figure that welding in the support bar is just for damage limitation really, it may move even more, I just don't know.

Once the old piece is out, I will offer up the new one up and see just how much it has moved.

From there I guess I will have to spread the chassis rails somehow after first removing the support.

And?-did the legs move?, looking good mate.

No movement at all when I cut through the middle of the crossmember, thankfully.

Just hoping that there hadn't been any movement when the initial collapse happened.

I guess I'll know for sure when I offer up the new one.

Admire your resolve, but if you had taken my advise of a repair in place it would have been done in one day and no hassle at less than your paying for the trouble of doing it the way you are, and after the repair it is actually stronger than the original, but hey ho good luck anyhow.

Jeff

Admire your resolve, but if you had taken my advise of a repair in place it would have been done in one day and no hassle at less than your paying for the trouble of doing it the way you are, and after the repair it is actually stronger than the original, but hey ho good luck anyhow.

Jeff

But let's face it, a complete new section is a better choice, i would rather spend a week repairing something properly to last the life of the car instead of a day repairing something to last a couple of years, and remember redwine isn't paying labour so it matters not how long it takes him. :thumbup1:

• Like 1

But let's face it, a complete new section is a better choice, i would rather spend a week repairing something properly to last the life of the car instead of a day repairing something to last a couple of years, and remember redwine isn't paying labour so it matters not how long it takes him. :thumbup1:

Yes very true, lets face it owning and maintaining a zed it is a labour of love rather than cost anyhow, but fair to say it is far from complete yet, Summer in the UK is short enough as it is without wasting any part of it, I do wish redwine 300 well for his venture into zed repair though.

Jeff

Yes very true, lets face it owning and maintaining a zed it is a labour of love rather than cost anyhow, but fair to say it is far from complete yet, Summer in the UK is short enough as it is without wasting any part of it, I do wish redwine 300 well for his venture into zed repair though.

Jeff

Very true, I know a lot of bodyshops that would shy away from this job just because it's a "300zx".

I think redwine deserves much respect for doing this himself and making such a good job of it, it will make a great repair thread for future jobs like this, let's face it how many other Zeds have this exact problem lurking underneath??