Radiator cross member replacement, day one.

Ironic and saddening with the previous talks of manufacturing your own cross member and yet, here you are now re-manufacturing a previously manufactured manufacture from the bloody manufacturer!

I guess your efforts to "make good" of the defects has removed a large portion of the likelihood of a positive outcome, but fingers crossed they do the right thing and compensate for the troubles. I feel that this responsibility should fall with the vendor, who should then in turn claim from the manufacturer but things are rarely that easy.

Ironic in deed, just can't believe the new one was faulty.

As you say, I too have my doubts about a positive outcome, I can only hope that they have some integrity.

Hope to have an answer by end of play today, one way or another.

Naively, I did tell them about my tight time frame, maybe they will just wait me out and force me into fitting the one I have here.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran my set up welds tonight, my god I am out of practice.

Anyway, I decided to start at the lower end of my mig and work up monitoring the weld height and penetration as I went.

Here's the results, no laughing please.....

Starting from left to right....

(Clarke 135te turbo machine)

First, power at 1 min, wire feed at 5. (poor penetration and spitting/burning back)

Second, power at 1 min, wire feed at 5.5 (as above)

Third, power at 1 min, wire feed at 6 (as above)

Fourth, power at 2 min, wire feed at 6 (as above)

Fifth, power at 1 max, wire feed at 6.5 (as above but with buzzing)

Sixth, power at 1 max, wire feed at 7.5 (better penetration, some spitting)

Seventh, power at 1 max, wire feed at 8 (better penetration, less spitting)

eighth, power at 2 max, wire feed at 8.5 (fair penetration, some buzzing)

ninth, power at 2 max, wire feed at 8 (as above, probably should have tried a wire speed of 9)

tenth, power at 1 max, wire feed at 8 (good penetration, some crackle and some spitting)

eleventh, (as above)

If the welders amongst you would cast your eye over these and make suggestions as to how to improve things, I would be greatful.

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

6 7 8 looks spot on...would be even better with the mill scale ground off too. 10 11 looks like it has good heat/penetration but needs more wire to match.ide go with 678 and get the job done:yes:

Cheers znut, I think I will run some more trials along the lines of 678 as you suggest.

Thanks. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Stop stressing over those few loose spot welds matey...the strength of the part is in its folded construction,the spot welds are just to keep the folds together otherwise it would of been seam welded at manufacturing.Have you drilled the spots and re-welded?? thats all it needs;)

Stop stressing over those few loose spot welds matey...the strength of the part is in its folded construction,the spot welds are just to keep the folds together otherwise it would of been seam welded at manufacturing.Have you drilled the spots and re-welded?? thats all it needs;)

Thanks for the reassurance znut.. :thumbup1:

Yes, I drilled out from one side of the spot welds and re-welded.

Untitled-4.jpg

Agreed.

Looks all clean sweet and dandy but you dont want paint on the inside of holes were your going to weld and all that hard work is going to get burnt too then need painting again:confused:

I agree znut, :thumbup1: I guess I was just doing as much up front as possible in the hope of a replacement, but I think I will have to go with this one.

I will heed your advice and clean away the paint locally on each weld point before I start welding.

I know I will make a mess of the paint locally, but I am prepared for a tad of dressing and touching up post welding.

Just did not fancy finish spraying the whole thing in situ either, not with my history of overspray. :blushing:

Edited by redwine300