Quiet around these parts

As a daily visitor to this site since it started I more or less know all the trends of posting and chatter, this can change depending on the time of year, holidays, dearer times, quiet times etc. but recently it does seem the topics are less responded to, often threads will get over a hundred views but just two or three replies..... I think what we have is a "new trend" now and basically one I am not too keen on, I guess its been self fueled as many click new posts and then leave as there is only a few, many of the tech threads I have done in the past would get great coverage and responses that in turn would create more banter, with a typical tech thread taking upwards of two hours to take the pictures, change them to suit, size them and write up the thread to then get next to no feedback is one reason I do less now, so I guess I have fallen in with the trend too :sad: is it work life in the 2014 UK become all consuming? this is not a rant just my views, any thoughts?

Jeff TT

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just so I'm not one of those reader type users I would agree with you on that.

This year for me personally has been hard with work and personal items and I find it hard at times to post much.

Now a year ago i was posting loads of build pics and even done a few how toos.

Hopefully this is just a quiet period rather than decline in wanting to participate in the forum.

I think having the 'like' or 'thanks' function has negated the use for a formal reply to say 'thanks'. I am sure that also, traffic is migrating a bit to Facebook. Trouble with Facebook is that stuff isn't really archived so you get more and more 'tards asking more and more retarded questions. There are a few decent 300zx Facebook pages but many of them are full of illiterate half wits with appalling cars and absolutely no clue and little access to searchable information.

Just realised I carefully read your thread, then left without replying, which I exactly the point you're making!! But, being of limited technical knowledge I only tend to reply to the more 'fluffy' threads even tho I'm on here nosying all day

There is less z32's about also so less members and I know I have been not so active putting up threads as my Z is still in the garage so no pics or threads about it plus moving house in two weeks time and this has taken up a lot of my time. So its usually a quick look at the forum and hit the like or thank button. I also know Facebook is taking up some members time. But what we are left with is a strong core of committed members.

Given my limited knowledge of all thing Zed-related, I tend to only actively participate in threads in which I can have a genuine and worthwhile input. :)

But as my knowledge increases, I expect my posts will as well. :thumbup1:

I am starting to have something to say in response to the "my car is stumbling at 3000 rpm" type threads these days but don't want to give out duff info. I feel like there is still good friendly banter about the place on here though :) I'll put my evo vs GT4 thread back to the top, get a chat going on that :biggrin: ... ...

I think you can factor in two main issues.

Mobile phone access, whilst it's easy to read the forum in the go throughout the day, replying can be fussy on a phone. So many don't bother, almost a read only situation.

Facebook, not only do people seem to be migrating further toward it, one of my local clubs literally has no traffic on its forum, it's all done on Facebook! I've noticed an irritating and lazy trend for people to link their latest projects to FB only, simply posting up a FB link to the pics. We don't all wish to have FB So can't view it.

To address your point jeff about work life balance, there was a programme on the other day about how traditionally higher earners did less hours. The more educated you were the fewer hours you did. That seems to have turned on its head. I can't remember the last time I worked a flat 39 hours.

All good points been raised there, 26 views and 10 odd replies is not too bad a ratio.... I think also there is a set level of forum tech knowledge now that did not exist 5 or 6 years ago with the amount of shared knowledge that has distributed on here its become a victim of its own success in a way, just so we are clear I am including myself in this lesser way of viewing the forum so not directing it anyone just wondered what we can do?

Jeff TT

One of the reasons i like posting my mechanical wonderland threads with added pics of what i get upto to locked away in my workshop,zed or none zed!!.I try to help the place with a bit of Iron and cogs type threads for a bit of variety but it seems to fall on peepers from behind the curtains with no fingers so i know what your saying Jeff:sleep1:

I think part of the issue is the number of cars on the road in the UK, or more specifically it's reduction.

3 years ago when I first started looking for a Z32 there were always 10-20 for sale on AT and PH. At the moment there are

A quick add up on Howmanyleft.com shows there are 1217 variations of 300zx on the road or SORNed in the UK.

The original core members have their cars for 5 years or whatever, and then sell up and move on and don't come back. A lot of younger members buy the car, realise they've bought a dog, break it or flog it and we never see them again.

Thus the numbers of core members with a lot of knowledge or friendships within the forum reduce.

Simple fact is less cars = less members = less posts.

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

I think part of the issue is the number of cars on the road in the UK, or more specifically it's reduction.

3 years ago when I first started looking for a Z32 there were always 10-20 for sale on AT and PH. At the moment there are

A quick add up on Howmanyleft.com shows there are 1217 variations of 300zx on the road or SORNed in the UK.

The original core members have their cars for 5 years or whatever, and then sell up and move on and don't come back. A lot of younger members buy the car, realise they've bought a dog, break it or flog it and we never see them again.

Thus the numbers of core members with a lot of knowledge or friendships within the forum reduce.

Simple fact is less cars = less members = less posts.

Correct on all counts mate..

I do notice this, it's not just a case of buying dogs either. We getting a lot of impulse members, but it drive it for a few months a year, then sell it on. The core members stay, but many new members don't stand the test of time. Look how many hands murts car has passed through of late, certainly not a dog.

One thing I don't understand is the amount of non club cars floating about. Who's working on them, who's helping them etc etc. a z33 is not a car you can just drive everyday and never break..

I should clarify I didn't mean they are all dogs. Just a high majority seem to be rot boxes.

And not wishing to drag up an old debate, but there are many cars/owners who for one reason or another prefer not to visit this forum or are no longer welcome. (I think that's about as tactful as I can put it!).

I always say the question you didn't ask is the stupid question, but I think a sense of inexperience to join in on technical threads is a common issue!

I like many it seems, when you read new threads probably entered the ZX scene to enjoy a great car and enjoy the banter from one or two good forums sites, then enjoy the meets and of course the cars.

But it has been noticeable that many buy into the cars having done the best research they can only to find they go wrong quickly after buying , often quite badly, before you get a chance to use them.

Mine is still on the drive, still awaiting my enthusiasm to engage in an engine pull as a result of probably a duff bearing, this has been the case for getting on for two years, finances and time all having a part in this delay, but I often look at the car and feel was it worth it, barely a few months light use and then it's off the road.

I think my point is that more and more threads seem to come up about problems with recently purchased cars that new owners are turned off and bail out of the scene asap. threads therefore are more on recovery of problems than constructive threads (for the scene) covering developments and improvements.

I myself have not responded to many threads, because there is little new or of interest as the issues are often recirculated, it doesn't help when you don't have a car to enjoy and contribute to with your own experiences of course.

As for the Tech threads Jeff, I really find them useful as I am still trying to learn about the car and it's technical attributes and the experience you and others have contributed to this site is for me and I am sure others invaluable. So thank you for that.

I do notice this, it's not just a case of buying dogs either. We getting a lot of impulse members, but it drive it for a few months a year, then sell it on. The core members stay, but many new members don't stand the test of time. Look how many hands murts car has passed through of late, certainly not a dog.

One thing I don't understand is the amount of non club cars floating about. Who's working on them, who's helping them etc etc. a z33 is not a car you can just drive everyday and never break..

Ime not a social media lemming myself at all but i have heard on the drums that a lot of Z discussions are carried out this way and dont even pass these doors. I think disscusion boards and forums are fighting a battle at the moment with all this alternative media stuff on the phones now Steve.

Ime not a social media lemming myself at all but i have heard on the drums that a lot of Z discussions are carried out this way and dont even pass these doors. I think disscusion boards and forums are fighting a battle at the moment with all this alternative media stuff on the phones now Steve.

I disagree with this to a point.

I moderate on the 350z-uk forum and we are busier than ever.

I disagree with this to a point.

I moderate on the 350z-uk forum and we are busier than ever.

Apples and oranges there though, a z33 is a far more common, modern/reliable and cheaper to run. With the plummeting price and soaring availability of the z33 they are becoming ever popular with the younger (read free time and disposable income) owners. They are fast on their way to for filling the placement of a replacement for the 200sx's

I have to agree with you Jeff. I myself have had long breaks where I haven't posted much. Like Si said. the Like and Thanks buttons get a lot of use from me. I guess because of laziness and habit. I'll have to change the way I respond at times, I think.

Apples and oranges there though, a z33 is a far more common, modern/reliable and cheaper to run. With the plummeting price and soaring availability of the z33 they are becoming ever popular with the younger (read free time and disposable income) owners. They are fast on their way to for filling the placement of a replacement for the 200sx's

See my first post about reduced numbers of 300's. That's what I believe is the cause of the downturn.

Reason I said about the 350z forum being so popular was against the comments that social media are to blame for all forums reducing in popularity.

See my first post about reduced numbers of 300's. That's what I believe is the cause of the downturn.

Reason I said about the 350z forum being so popular was against the comments that social media are to blame for all forums reducing in popularity.

Ah ok.

On that subject though, I think many potential z owners bypass the the z32 now. They write of off as expensive heavy dinosaur. You can buy z33s so cheaply now, if your not after big power or aware of the tunability of the vg30.

Z32 are slowly rising and for a extra grand you can buy a newer car without the twin turbo headaches.