What did you do to your zed today?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Managed to get my headlamps rebuilt and reinstalled, quite a rewarding job to see them back in as they’re such a nice design feature of the car. [emoji41]

Both units were stripped down and cleaned internally. All the glass areas were deep cleaned with isopropanol and finished with an anti-fog glass treatment, the insert plastics protected with Aerospace 303 UV protectant and the units reassembled with desiccant bags secured inside. All the rubbers (which are only a few years old) were also treated to a lovely dose of Gummi Pfledge.

Managed to get it all done without being busted by the wife putting “dirty car parts” in the oven! Of course they were sparkly clean anyway as the bodies had another deep clean with a 10:1 solution of AS G101 apc.

Thanks to Simon for the replacement headlamp as I had a glass mismatch due to a previous rock smash incident a few years ago! Also thanks to Andy for the halo inserts; as nice as they are I couldn’t bring myself to do it but they will live on in a fellow members car. [emoji106]

5a65d8e43644601ff7316c458c6d8485.jpg

cb5148e860e357dc2a0e2e3491d58b6b.jpg

Swore at it some more. Then I went and bought a naff old Micra to spite it and drove that to work instead. It at least has a functioning starter, heater and doesn't douse my left foot in clutch fluid.

Then I felt bad seeing it sat there all forlorn, mirrors folded, axle stands and tools littering the interior, bird dirt down the side, like something off the Unloved Classic and Retro pages...

So I spent lots of money on stuff it doesn't need like four OEM wheels, an OEM steering wheel, a centre console facia (which I don't need but it has those little screw covers still in it!) and.... and a starter, which it really needs. And sponged the turds off.

So when I get back from ZE GERMANY, I shall throw spanners at it until it works again. Then, if it starts and runs and behaves itself, I shall treat it to the shiny bits and maybe even clean it. I shall even consider torturing myself with 988cc of knackered K11 Microbe to save it from the winter salt.

If it was human, I'd sue it for emotional trauma. Stupid old thing.

On that note, has anyone else had a starter motor housing shatter?

Also, anyone know if the electrical guts of the starter motor are removable and swappable between casings?

Whilst tinkering I noticed that my wheel nuts were getting seriously shabby! So last night I took them into work for a spruce up. They’re not perfect but certainly better than the weathered, oxidised finish that they were.

c822e4a6afe94b31ab4b78fd1ed883a6.jpg

I’ve literally been flat out all day on the car today and ran out of light and time. The car is still more than presentable but I only managed to do the final cut of polish on one side and seal that side, the other is slightly swirly from the course cut (hopefully is doesn’t hologram). I’ll be slapping some glaze products on in the NEC tomorrow to fill all the imperfections so fingers crossed it’ll look good.

I managed to get a lot done which is lucky as there was a lot to do and put back together, it has a “wheely” good detail!...

d8da7dc07276aa425e995735a271f93d.jpg

92ef7efaa18ac03f26bb7c32b3f4b7d4.jpg

I’ve been putting the final bits and bobs together this evening for the show plates and my plinth (which is new for the year) and I’ll be setting off nice and early tomorrow morning.

Hopefully see you over the weekend if you’re coming along to the Classic Motor Show [emoji41]

Whilst tinkering I noticed that my wheel nuts were getting seriously shabby! So last night I took them into work for a spruce up. They’re not perfect but certainly better than the weathered, oxidised finish that they were.

I’ve literally been flat out all day on the car today and ran out of light and time. The car is still more than presentable but I only managed to do the final cut of polish on one side and seal that side, the other is slightly swirly from the course cut (hopefully is doesn’t hologram). I’ll be slapping some glaze products on in the NEC tomorrow to fill all the imperfections so fingers crossed it’ll look good.

I managed to get a lot done which is lucky as there was a lot to do and put back together, it has a “wheely” good detail!...

I’ve been putting the final bits and bobs together this evening for the show plates and my plinth (which is new for the year) and I’ll be setting off nice and early tomorrow morning.

Hopefully see you over the weekend if you’re coming along to the Classic Motor Show [emoji41]

Top work Joel ill be down with zebedee next week

Just buy a replacement starter motor :lol:

I do have a new starter, I just don't see any point in binning a cracked case with strong internals if they can be swapped into a starter with knackered internals and sold for profit or kept in reserve for the day the inevitable happens. Old car life tends to bring out the thrifty hoarder gene more strongly than most other pursuits.

Gone in for a full 3m under seal and all box sections re waxed. I’m also having the lower wings straightened out and the rails knocked back into shapedue to some dubious jacking. As soon as my new spoiler arrives, that’s going on too, then a full clay and polish. Will look brand new in a couple of weeks!

Was told it doesn’t need doing. So more reason to get it done me thinks!

4606501b0413973edc964873451f8a4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went for a drive to Ian Greenfield's house for a brew and a catch up. It was great to take the Z on a decent drive:)

I also managed to pick up some new door glass as mine is scratched along with a couple of different air filters to try out.

All in all, a nice day!

Went for a drive to Ian Greenfield's house for a brew and a catch up. It was great to take the Z on a decent drive:)

I also managed to pick up some new door glass as mine is scratched along with a couple of different air filters to try out.

All in all, a nice day!

You are welcome any time buddy good to see you

Perfect, Joel..... Just perfect mate.....:thumbup:

You'll do us proud at the NEC for sure. See you tomorrow!!!!

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Gone in for a full 3m under seal and all box sections re waxed. I’m also having the lower wings straightened out and the rails knocked back into shapedue to some dubious jacking. As soon as my new spoiler arrives, that’s going on too, then a full clay and polish. Will look brand new in a couple of weeks!

Was told it doesn’t need doing. So more reason to get it done me thinks!

4606501b0413973edc964873451f8a4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good, just swap your front wheels left to right. It's bugging me......:biggrin: