What did you do to your zed today?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I also managed to dedicate some time towards the super mega detail and got a few panels done on the first cut. Clock is ticking for the NEC show so operation liquid paint is in full swing!

5541f9b13ce47e1066ef5cb025510a95.jpg

083ebc4078bbc34dc2f8b76fda384327.jpg

b7efaea675b65e11d5dd0ee2ff11eb5f.jpg

5cacd94813c381552c868a183d091589.jpg

I don’t know why I put pictures up as in this light it looks no different then it did before!! For those that are interested, I use a DAS6 Pro polisher, Lake Country CCS pads (mostly), Scholl S20 Black compound for the first cut on a light cutting pad and Scholl S40 polish on a finessing pad to smooth it over. When the whole car is finished, I’ll seal it twice, then wax it and on the day of the show after being washed and detailed from the journey, it’ll be wearing an Auto Finesse glaze.

I’m often asked by friends and neighbours why I polish such a clean car! The videos show why; this is a years worth of meticulous cleaning technique to minimise swirls and my wash routine is annoyingly anal!

The pic below was taken before I fired up the polisher but the car had been washed a few weeks ago and clayed just before the pic. Admittedly the paint looks pretty clean, but using the right light source, the video shows how more shine can be extracted by removing the fine swirls on the surface:

f8ba3405c6a48d99b506223f86355e85.jpg

People often ask what wax or detailer I use on the car to make it shine, but the reality is that it’s the polishing out and removal of defects that create the shine, not anything that is put on top. Products with heavy fillers can improve some finishes but they are far from perfect and just mask the defects temporarily, whereas a machine polish and making the top coat perfectly flat is the way to go to make the shine. Waxes and sealants can then be used to protect it and can (to some extent) make subtle changes to the type of shine produced.

One car I’ve been looking forward to transforming on here is Andrew’s lovely blue UK car as with a good level of pampering, the colour on that car is amazing and I think the paint will really pop! What was supposed to be a job to prepare the car for this summer is seemingly going to be a winter project (for next summer!).

Edited by Joely P

It sure is Gaz..... Hell, JP has even taken out the lights before the polishing. THAT'S dedication....:thumbup:

Wow that is stunning JP and it's going to do the club proud at the NEC.

I have finished one side of the Z deep cleaning the wheels the inside of the wheel arches and suspension plus new paint on the stone guard sills.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109230[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109231[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109232[/ATTACH]

....And your car is looking as amazing as ever Gaz.....:cool:

Another contender for the NEC next year....???!!!

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Loving the poster in the background there Gary, the one with the red Z side and top views [emoji41] Is that a SWB?

30097b3bb2a7389923262471b120dc48.jpg

It's a LBW mate.

20171025_233317.jpg

Gary, your Zed should be along side both Joel's and Si's at the NEC mate....

Hopefully one year I will get there.

You take this polishing very seriously, handles out!

Although it makes polishing that area much easier, it wasn’t by choice unfortunately Ali! I’ve had an issue with the paint around the lock barrel and one area had developed into a chip that I decided to touch up a few weeks back. I masked off the little black lock barrel ring to try and avoid getting paint on it, but when I peeled the tape back off it took a big chunk of paint with it, doh!

624592d167f496c026cf6dd9012f4a3b.jpg

The handle came out to go to the paint shop which was an annoyance really as it’s one of my least favourite jobs on the car! I picked it back up from the painters yesterday actually so need to contend with those lovely rod hooks once again when I get a chance!

a0c960cfe4283097b548d4ec901f0a63.jpg

Although it makes polishing that area much easier, it wasn’t by choice unfortunately Ali! I’ve had an issue with the paint around the lock barrel and one area had developed into a chip that I decided to touch up a few weeks back. I masked off the little black lock barrel ring to try and avoid getting paint on it, but when I peeled the tape back off it took a big chunk of paint with it, doh!

The handle came out to go to the paint shop which was an annoyance really as it’s one of my least favourite jobs on the car! I picked it back up from the painters yesterday actually so need to contend with those lovely rod hooks once again when I get a chance!

Ah, the rods really aren't that bad, compared to certain other jobs...

Painted my wiper blades too. Found out my rear wiper arm is now welded to the spindle !! That special weld which involves oxidation of aluminium and zinc plated metal along with a good 22 years of weather ! Mmmmm nice !! Just covered the entire car and sprayed it in situ. sorry no pics yet as I'm on the laptop and the pics are on the iPhone and I haven't uploaded to dropbox yet.