300ZX TT - A18GCK

For info it did used to work, when the car first came to the UK in 2005/2006 or something like that the cruise control was faulty, but was repaired and working solidly.

Hopefully just something daft [emoji846]

Cheers for the info mate and yes you’re right as I do remember seeing some cruise control repair invoices in the stack of paperwork. Not too fussed because as I say I’ve never used the cruise control, but would be nice to know it works. Researched it and it can be lots of little things like switches on brake pedals etc. Will sort it at some point.

The service history got too much for that orange folder so I migrated it to a new folder! That folders been in service for a good decade I bet - I’m assuming you must have bought that. Put each bit of paperwork into a nice a4 pocket file to preserve it all!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0400.jpgIMG_0399.jpg
  • Like 3

On 30/10/2021 at 09:15, Raja93 said:

Cheers for the info mate and yes you’re right as I do remember seeing some cruise control repair invoices in the stack of paperwork. Not too fussed because as I say I’ve never used the cruise control, but would be nice to know it works. Researched it and it can be lots of little things like switches on brake pedals etc. Will sort it at some point.

The service history got too much for that orange folder so I migrated it to a new folder! That folders been in service for a good decade I bet - I’m assuming you must have bought that. Put each bit of paperwork into a nice a4 pocket file to preserve it all!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0400.jpgIMG_0399.jpg

Love seeing people take care of all of the paperwork! It goes to show that the car has been looked after and cared for.

Just out of curiosity, how thick it that?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mister_fcx said:

Love seeing people take care of all of the paperwork! It goes to show that the car has been looked after and cared for.

Just out of curiosity, how thick it that?

It's 8cm thick! Never thought I'd be measuring paperwork haha. 

? It's one of the big factors in me choosing to buy this Zed. Each UK owner also wrote a summary of the service history with dates, mileage etc. as below photo (1st UK owner page 1 summary). The second UK owner - Dazsw who's posted above, started adding who did the work, which I liked and have continued on my own summary doc.

thumbnail_image0-13.jpg

On 31/10/2021 at 19:55, Dazsw said:

Damn that's a thick stack eh!

I'm starting to build up a pile just the same on the C63 I've had for a year and a half, wonder if I will keep it as long as I kept the Zed?

I've added a lot to the stack and Ollie did as well to be fair. 

Good to hear the C63 is getting taken care of. That 6.2 engine is one of the best of my generation - if I could afford the fuel, I'd have one as a daily! Time will tell, but I reckon once you've seen this Zed after the respray and once I'm done with the interior, you'll get the Zed bug again! ?

On 01/11/2021 at 21:04, Raja93 said:

It's 8cm thick! Never thought I'd be measuring paperwork haha. 

? It's one of the big factors in me choosing to buy this Zed. Each UK owner also wrote a summary of the service history with dates, mileage etc. as below photo (1st UK owner page 1 summary). The second UK owner - Dazsw who's posted above, started adding who did the work, which I liked and have continued on my own summary doc.

thumbnail_image0-13.jpg

I agree! I never thought I would ask someone 'how thick is your paperwork?' ?

That's so cool. I've got a similar format with mine too (and previous cars). Every now and again I just read through it and remember what' been done. I guess normal people play games or something? ?

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 23:04, mister_fcx said:

I agree! I never thought I would ask someone 'how thick is your paperwork?' ?

That's so cool. I've got a similar format with mine too (and previous cars). Every now and again I just read through it and remember what' been done. I guess normal people play games or something? ?

When I check through the history to see when certain items were done, it is great to see how well it's been cared for and haha yeah car guys are seen as strange by the outside world ?

Not seen an update on yours - did you manage to get the Veilside wheels sorted in the end? 

On 12/11/2021 at 09:22, Raja93 said:

When I check through the history to see when certain items were done, it is great to see how well it's been cared for and haha yeah car guys are seen as strange by the outside world ?

Not seen an update on yours - did you manage to get the Veilside wheels sorted in the end? 

It's nice to see the history of car ?

Yes, the Veilside wheels got sorted in the end - it took 6 weeks though and there were a few issues. But they're sorted now, so all good,

Other than that, not much happened really. Looking back now, I never really drove her and now winter is approaching ? 

But that means more motivation next year!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

She’d been sat for a few weeks since they started gritting the roads, but no longer, as I got the ok from Jim to drop her off.

The issues with this engine as discussed earlier in this thread are the less than ideal compression figures, sticking hydraulic lifters when engine cold and an almost screwed turbo. It was decided to go for a full engine rebuild and target 500-600bhp, for fast road and reliable use, whilst she is down at Dream Body Works for the respray in the Bristol area also. 

I had some trouble arranging transport initially as some of you may have seen, but managed to sort it thankfully.

Off she went on the transporter on Saturday 11th December, with me following behind, making sure nothing happens to my baby! My boot and back seats were stuffed with the body trim and parts for the respray. Had to stick the bumper inside the Zed. It all only just fit! 
7CB9280E-C158-4D70-842B-1DF7E358586A.thumb.jpeg.0b1c2b880856afbbc65106d860bc069c.jpeg

6EBC0766-C431-4CD6-BEF5-FB7DAF8BBA7A.thumb.jpeg.05f78c81e0134b95ff5af9967568e1ba.jpeg

1459241F-BB23-421C-A358-491DC2A01C71.thumb.jpeg.3912aee5185cb8526f19a6ccca659fea.jpeg
3F123EF3-3710-470B-AF2A-F2E9B73BE342.thumb.jpeg.deb5a242a2750a7a437676a12244c0db.jpeg

Edited by Raja93
  • Like 3

I made a shopping list of engine parts from what I found from our club car builds and a few other sources. 

Rather than go back and forth over email with Jim on finalising the parts, I thought it best to discuss with him in person the day I dropped her off. We must have spent a good 2-3 hours but managed to get a final list together. The following week, funding was sorted and the parts were ordered, all as below;
D77CE3BB-D471-4791-A674-AE4B8D61EC88.thumb.jpeg.0eb21d0b3fbfb316f247d630dace59bd.jpeg

E05D8EAF-0F23-48AD-956C-B25A0AE7B6E8.thumb.jpeg.358986f105505b679ce776bcb3ca4841.jpeg
46862746-8980-44AB-A19E-68C5DD06EE4A.thumb.jpeg.f706e3484e105bb444d4fdcc67102aac.jpeg

307E90DB-336E-472A-946C-0DD413B4BDFD.thumb.jpeg.ef41e1c69c965c1124a947c6e3896b00.jpeg

C81FF608-5BFF-4102-A191-9CBFDC2FB952.jpeg.d516645bf96de643809c3ffbe8a0de4b.jpeg

FCB5C0AF-FC98-40D6-8795-B376909FC4AD.jpeg.f1a7463ef64c34cc6ebb0a3b7e5f0663.jpeg

2B276640-8DE0-4DE7-A9EC-86D02621DDB6.jpeg.fa5543fd58683c113e07f185961e16d3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Now onto the parts selection:-

Aside from the usual array of parts, that most owners going through PowerZed end up ordering, I opted for the following and reasons why explained;

- Full flow oil cooler with thermostat; will drive hard in summer so would like to avoid oil temp issues and wanted to upgrade the stock 28 year old unit and pipe work anyway so made sense to go all out. Thermostat will ensure it doesn’t overcool the oil.

- Cams were decided upon for replacement as I’ve heard the real world benefit they have to the power/torque curve, as well as the head being apart it just made sense as a bang for buck decision. The 400 series cams retain a smooth idle which was key also. The ‘R’ version of these cams which I went for are good for 450-650bhp so ideal really.

- Gates Kevlar belt was selected as the valve springs and cams are being replaced. After reading Nickz32’s build thread, and of him suffering cam belt stretch after replacing springs for more heavy duty items, I thought best to include this! 

- Having read of VTC gears failing, I went for the best aftermarket option - the BDE gears. Jim advised this also. I didn’t go for the BDE exhaust cam gears as they’re apparently overkill for my power target range and wanting to save some cash where I could, I didn’t ignore this advice! 

- CP pistons are known as some of the best out there, so I did have the pistons and rods in my shopping basket. After speaking with Jim and hearing of the high success rates of Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods for my power targets and well beyond, I saved some cash and went for them instead. 

- I was after the Z1 GT525’s as I wanted response and fast road useability etc. Jim highlighted how after the core charge of the 525’s, I could go for slightly bigger ball bearing turbos with fast response that were also cheaper (win-win situation). Looked at the GT535’s and GT600’s. At the last minute we decided to look on the CZP website, where they had the kit as per the screenshot above, which were a happy medium of turbo size. What sold it was they have a billet compressor wheel so more modern than the aforementioned options. To top it all off, they were also cheaper due to a sale, than all other options! Happy days ?

- The exhaust manifold was a funny one. The manufacturer in China for AMS decided to copy AMS’s manifold (karma!!) and sell their own under the name AVS. AMS cancelled their contract with said manufacturer but now have a huge back log of orders, so no chance of parts for ages. My hand was therefore forced to go the AVS route for stock availability. 

- Went for the Koyorad originally but after ordering, I found out they’re on a 4-6 month lead in time. No thanks! Went for the Mishimoto which has 1mm less core thickness but I think I’ll survive! 

Exciting times ahead ???. Can’t wait for it all to be finished. The engine build + respray will be carried out in parallel. Jim will pull the engine and Anil from Dream Body Works will come and collect her to commence the respray. Hoping for it all to be completed by the end of April, although I’m fully aware these things don’t always go to plan due to this, that and the other. 

Edited by Raja93
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Updates to follow as we progress. Cannot wait to have an almost perfect Zed, being worked on by the best of the best. Only things to do after this will be a full interior retrim, replace the alarm and new music system. I think after the engine build and respray, I’m going to take a break from zed spending over the next few years and recoup some cash!! Let’s see how long that lasts though... ?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Out of curiosity, which credit card company are you with? I'm thinking of investing some shares.... ?

Looking good, I wont be able to keep up with you on the summer road trip (that you are doing with me by the way, no choice!). If you have anything left over that you dont need/want let me know. I might be able to part with cash for you... ?

• Like 1

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

[emoji1787][emoji1787] I’m doing some serious man maths to justify all this.

Haha I’ll check out the dates of the road trip and make sure I can go - car should hopefully be done for May.

Yep sure, I should have a load of parts to sell. Once I’ve got a list together, we can run through anything you might want [emoji1417].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Once the key components and performance parts were ordered, I started thinking what other jobs can and should be done whilst the engine is out?

Out of all the parts my car has had replaced over the years, with me and previous owners, I saw no mention of replacement coolant hard pipes or heater core hoses in the service history folder.

With a freshly built engine, I thought it’s only right to replace all the coolant pipes I can get my hands on, in case any were starting to get rusty. I looked at the usual suspects websites and ordered the items as below screenshots (last few items I forgot to add to the main Z1 order).

Another peace of mind job that will be completed ?. Good old preventative maintenance - where do you stop and draw the line though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpg

Edited by Raja93
  • Like 2

It's going to be a masterpiece when finished mate, well done!

There was a few of those coolant pipes changed at the time the first injectors got fitted, weren't on the bill though as it was a late addition as they noticed them when putting the car back together, but with all the time going into this, makes total sense to freshen them all up.

It's always the same with cars, just went to change the rear discs and pads on the C63, which turned into discs, pads, parking brake shoes, brake dust shields, caliper rebuilds and fluid change.....they always escalate lol but no point doing half a job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raja93 said:

Another peace of mind job that will be completed ?. Good old preventative maintenance - where do you stop and draw the line though?

As you are flashing the cash Raja you might want to see if you can still get these OEM pipes from Japan. The originals are usually rock hard. Expensive

but hey...

915535130_vacuumpipes.jpg.542898e48d18d47ebd7a8ea06e2e5c16.jpg

https://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partlist.php?maker=nissan&type=132&fig=470*&part=3086440P05&page=1

https://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partlist.php?maker=nissan&type=132&fig=470*&part=4747140P01&page=1

• Like 1

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

On 08/01/2022 at 21:18, Dazsw said:

It's going to be a masterpiece when finished mate, well done!

There was a few of those coolant pipes changed at the time the first injectors got fitted, weren't on the bill though as it was a late addition as they noticed them when putting the car back together, but with all the time going into this, makes total sense to freshen them all up.

It's always the same with cars, just went to change the rear discs and pads on the C63, which turned into discs, pads, parking brake shoes, brake dust shields, caliper rebuilds and fluid change.....they always escalate lol but no point doing half a job.

And that’s why I’m glad you were one of the last owners ?.

Well you have great memory is all I can say, as that set of injectors were replaced around 7 years ago. 
Tbh I would have replaced them anyway, being part of the coolant system. The rads getting replaced as well. Cooling I am paranoid about on this car. 

23 hours ago, AndrewG said:

As you are flashing the cash Raja you might want to see if you can still get these OEM pipes from Japan. The originals are usually rock hard. Expensive

but hey...

915535130_vacuumpipes.jpg.542898e48d18d47ebd7a8ea06e2e5c16.jpg

https://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partlist.php?maker=nissan&type=132&fig=470*&part=3086440P05&page=1

https://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partlist.php?maker=nissan&type=132&fig=470*&part=4747140P01&page=1

I’d say it’s more making the most of the engine being out, hopefully once and never again! 

Thanks for the tips as always. I have SFS silicone items fitted at the moment, in great condition, so will leave them in place. 

Anything else that you feel I may have missed, I’m all ears!