I want a 240z but why so expensive????

i seen a feww pictures of the 240/260z (im sure there is a diffrence) and i want one, so i thought with the price of 300's i would be able to pick one up for a couple of grand, how wrong i was, i cant seen to find one for any less than about 15k, am i looking in the wrong place or is this the going rate for these cars and if so why????

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A couple of grand?? LOL. Mate, they are a classic car, not a bargain banger. The 240Z is very sought after. Hardly any in the UK. Good ones still go for good money and rightly so, just like any other classic.

Edited by FunkySi

They are a very rare and desirable classic car.

I looked into 240's a little while back, from what I could gather you can pick up non-runners as projects for a few grand, and usuable but rough ones for around £5k but you can expect to pay up to £10k restoring it properly.

I believe they can be had for around £8/9k upwards for tidy examples ?

The biggest issue with them is definatly rot. A lot of people seem to import the shells from california then restore them here and convert to RHD.

Slick Pete is the man to speak to on here about them, and Zclub.net ofcourse.

Edited by Yowser

I said to Andy the other week:

"Im going to buy an old 240z, Ill pick one for a couple hundred quid and you can restore it" :rofl: how wrong was I, couple of hundred quid indeed!!

They are a very rare and desirable classic car.

I looked into 240's a little while back, from what I could gather you can pick up non-runners as projects for a few grand, and usuable but rough ones for around £5k but you can expect to pay up to £10k restoring it properly.

I believe they can be had for around £8/9k upwards for tidy examples ?

The biggest issue with them is definatly rot. A lot of people seem to import the shells from california then restore them here and convert to RHD.

Slick Pete is the man to speak to on here about them, and Zclub.net ofcourse.

Not far out on those prices generally

You can get basket case non runners for less but whether they are in a sate to be restored is another matter

And the restoration costs are like a bank overdraft once you start all depends on how bad and how far you want to go

Even if you do all the work your self work out what you want to spend on it and then have another half of that amount sitting in your bank account because you will find you will need it once you start

And then the big issue is the time scale of doing it most of the guys who do it themselves spend on average at least 18 months doing it

My advice if you are lucky enough to see one you want pop over to the other side post up asking if one of the knowledgeable ones would come with you and help you look at all the nasty quirky little (or not so little) Places that would make it a compete waste of money

I am sure SlickPete will put it all better into words than me

Guest Coopers-SWB

Not to steal people away from this site, but there's lots of 240/260 info over on the Z Club if you want to search through.

I have a 240z project I might sell, £1k for the stripped shell and most parts, cost me £3k before I took it apart. Needs lots of resto work :)

Just need to remember, Datsuns weren't made of virgin steel, nor were they properly weatherproofed, so just about every single one has had a bit of welding at least or really needs it :)

Oh and do a youtube for Darius 240z, he's the reason I got into Zs, blown SBC in a 1000kg car? Yes please :)

Guest Lee 7S

I'm collecting that blue 240Z this weekend that was on ebay, car has a great spec including forged pistons, uprated cams, etc, etc, also had a lot more work done to it than was listed on ebay but will reveal all soon, I think I got a bargain!!

Amazing!

I started with a 240Z in 1977- horrendous crash cartwheeling across a field in 1978 (both of us walked away without a scratch!!) and then rebuilt my second- putting the front end from my crashed one onto another one I bought in Liverpool while still @ uni!

So my boy started his life riding in a cot looking out through the back of a 240Z, and later with his car seat strapped to a bespoke Roll Cage I built for the same car.

I still have this car among my Z'ds, still love it although it needs another rebuild now and I've collected all the panels necessary over the years.

I have debated selling it over the years and my fantastic, long suffering wife has always prevented me- never realised they had reached such heights in value.

California examples are still good- there was someone who imported them for parts & conversion- can prob find details if someone wants.

Regards

Dave

I'm collecting that blue 240Z this weekend that was on ebay, car has a great spec including forged pistons, uprated cams, etc, etc, also had a lot more work done to it than was listed on ebay but will reveal all soon, I think I got a bargain!!

That looks like an awesome buy there Lee. Is this for yourself or for proffit?

Guest Lee 7S

Don't know yet, depends how it drives really, but i'm planning on some new rims for a start!! some nice 19" Image rims would really suit the car!!

Guest Coopers-SWB

Glad I could be of service, or had you already spotted it?

Does look nice and a very good price judging by what the others are going for.

Darrell

Guest Lee 7S
Glad I could be of service, or had you already spotted it?

Does look nice and a very good price judging by what the others are going for.

Darrell

Yeah had seen it on ebay and had it on my watch list, but like a lot of others I suspected it would fetch far more, so I really didn't expect to win it!! about 7 years ago I had a 1972 Toyota Celica Coupe, I owned it for about a year but lost heart with it, I sold it for £600:headvswal, I reallly should have kept it as they are worth a small fortune now!!