What did you do to your zed today?

Today, I swapped out my ABS ECU, inside the rear offside interior panel - only cost me £15 from Banzai Breakers and it does seem to have reduced the groaning sound somewhat. There's still some intermittent creaking noises coming from the ABS pump area, but they are much less frequent now.

Whilst I had the rear seat out, I gave the whole interior a nice deep clean - including behind the interior panels - I also used a liberal quantity of Autoglym interior shampoo on the carpets and over-mats. They smell nice and fresh now:classic_biggrin:

Then I gave the leather another treatment with Gliptone conditioner......:classic_cool:

• Like 4

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

• 2 weeks later...

Today, nothing.... I wanted to have a nice, relaxing BH Monday in the sunshine. However yesterday, after a week of Zed-usage, I gave it a nice wash and a coating of Purple Haze wax. I thought I'd try this Dodo Juice product - I mean, any wax named after a Jimi Hendrix track must be worth a punt:classic_wink:

It's lovely stuff - a soft wax, made for blue, black and purple cars. I was pretty impressed after trying it on the Merc last weekend, so treated the Zed yesterday.

I took a few picks of my Blue Babes in the sunshine, so will share on a separate thread.

But if you have a blue, black or purple Zed, then give it a go - I highly recommend it:classic_cool:

• Like 3

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

well today I had one job..............nailed it! only thin I changed was the supplied "anti rust" bolts were just standard bolts, so I used stainless fittings instead. it now means I have a brand new oem rear under tray which I will advertise later. 

IMG_0606.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpeg

Edited by Black-zed
  • Like 4

Been having a bit of an interior spruce. Removed all the interior panels and dyed them, using an Autoglym product. Now all nice and black instead of smokey blue/grey. Also been chasing through a bunch of audio cables from a previous owners “ICE” instal. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Been having a bit of an interior spruce. Removed all the interior panels and dyed them, using an Autoglym product. Now all nice and black instead of smokey blue/grey. Also been chasing through a bunch of audio cables from a previous owners “ICE” instal. 

Love to see pics of your dyed interior ?

Decided to treat the car to a wash and a polish yesterday. My poor bonnett is going pinker and polish does less each time, might have to bite the bullet and get it painted. I also tried my aerosol skills by painting the windscreen wipers with satin black and clear laquer. All in all took me 5 hours to do everything and I managed to sunburn myself in the process. Pretty well spent day off!

IMG_20200602_131018.jpg

IMG_20200602_131028.jpg

IMG_20200602_131035.jpg

IMG_20200602_131051.jpg

• Like 3

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

1 hour ago, TheRealNips said:

Decided to treat the car to a wash and a polish yesterday. My poor bonnett is going pinker and polish does less each time, might have to bite the bullet and get it painted. I also tried my aerosol skills by painting the windscreen wipers with satin black and clear laquer. All in all took me 5 hours to do everything and I managed to sunburn myself in the process. Pretty well spent day off!

IMG_20200602_131018.jpg

IMG_20200602_131028.jpg

IMG_20200602_131035.jpg

IMG_20200602_131051.jpg

You need to give the bonnet a good t cut or paint renovator like the one I use in the picture mate then a wax after that.

g cut.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gaz 300 said:

You need to give the bonnet a good t cut or paint renovator like the one I use in the picture mate then a wax after that.

g cut.jpg

I have the red version of T-cut and although it looks good for about a week, it quickly goes pink again and seems to get worse? Maybe I am doing it wrong! I will have to give G3 a go, I have heard good things about it.

• Like 1

I have the red version of T-cut and although it looks good for about a week, it quickly goes pink again and seems to get worse? Maybe I am doing it wrong! I will have to give G3 a go, I have heard good things about it.

Well polishes are a very light abrasive to take off the naff top layer of paint which has been scratched over time or sun damaged in your case. The wax should be applied following the polish treatment as Gaz300 has said, as this will seal the paint against the suns UV rays damage - two coats would be good.

The best product however from what I’ve heard (not personally used) is ceramic coating which is harder and more durable than wax. That should hopefully protect your red paint. Wax is cheaper, easily sourced and to be honest, it’s done the job for me for about a decade so don’t be worried about ‘only’ forking out for wax.

I’m not too clued up on red paints but that should hopefully do the trick for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, TheRealNips said:

7 hours ago, naz27 said:

Well polishes are a very light abrasive to take off the naff top layer of paint which has been scratched over time or sun damaged in your case. The wax should be applied following the polish treatment as Gaz300 has said, as this will seal the paint against the suns UV rays damage - two coats would be good.

The best product however from what I’ve heard (not personally used) is ceramic coating which is harder and more durable than wax. That should hopefully protect your red paint. Wax is cheaper, easily sourced and to be honest, it’s done the job for me for about a decade so don’t be worried about ‘only’ forking out for wax.

I’m not too clued up on red paints but that should hopefully do the trick for you.

Agreed, make sure you protect it afterwards

Replaced my steering rack bushes. Came up as an advisory last MOT so bought some to do it when I had a chance, and now it's summer and I've been driving it again I realised my steering wheel wasn't always returning to centre. Found it not as easy as some say, but not as hard as others say so consider myself lucky!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Agreed, make sure you protect it afterwards

Thanks Chris. On all my cars I pre wash them with autoglym polar, then wash with conditioning shampoo. I then use the autoglym polish followed by a ceramic polish and it works well. The bonnet is do the same, but occasionally (more often than not) T-Cut it first before doing both polishes. I think it's at the point where it can't be saved. I'll give the G3 a try before I give up and get it sprayed! The ceramic polish is brilliant, I love it and it makes the cars look amazing once it has had the 24-48 hours to dry. 

• Like 1

I had a friend with a paint thickness tool measure the car and the rest of the car is 80-90 microns, however the bonnet was 250-290. He thinks that its been respray (maybe several times) and thats why its fading. Ill give the G3 a go, I dont think there will be any cars shows this year, so hopefully can get it sprayed before Simply Japanese 2021 ?

I had a friend with a paint thickness tool measure the car and the rest of the car is 80-90 microns, however the bonnet was 250-290. He thinks that its been respray (maybe several times) and thats why its fading. Ill give the G3 a go, I dont think there will be any cars shows this year, so hopefully can get it sprayed before Simply Japanese 2021 [emoji16]

I was going to say has the bonnet been resprayed as it sounds like your detailing process is bang on. The rest of your bodywork looks great so it only really points to that.

If the paint on the bonnet is that thick, it could be saved with a professional wet sanding etc and deep repolishing but to be honest, I’d only go that route if you can do it yourself. If you pay someone else to do it, you might as well respray the bonnet. I get charged approx £150 per panel for small respray jobs so probably better going the respray route.

• Like 1

weirdly i received the new nissan decals from japan and find that the two sides of the badging are different sizes? 

Is the twin turbo part of the lettering slightly larger than the nissan fairlady Z part on the left? 

I imagined that nissan wouldve made both sides the same size? 

14 hours ago, Gabor Z said:

...today's offering to the Z Gods:

I changed these 19" fake Rotas for a set off immaculate OEM wheels. Special thanks to Ray for the wheels. 

101021130_2593527410749349_898962966022455296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQmSuiSLbD0mBGVQXvQhW8P1LpblkILVFwnO7zA-jkCVPYAhstUIfnJWf9eVxP4zyqI&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=156a43a6c72825892fda3f238ea63ad9&oe=5F00BDC4
101940871_615751235708106_8419596992199524352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQmI0OQPtVQdnPzVYk5YfNDoN-60ITZ28bvtEg8LysjNhGscPH8Qnr56FLoTDPQpqBE&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=fd57ae3c5e9d2ed7b5344074c6a021cb&oe=5EFDFF97

I dont hate those black wheels, but OEMs are excellent!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, NemesizX said:

weirdly i received the new nissan decals from japan and find that the two sides of the badging are different sizes? 

Is the twin turbo part of the lettering slightly larger than the nissan fairlady Z part on the left? 

I imagined that nissan wouldve made both sides the same size? 

hi, mine aren't from Japan, but I believe the sizing is correct (well I hope it's correct), word "fairlady" looking smaller then the others.

20200605_101331.jpg