What did you do to your zed today?

The point is things have moved on. The special tyres of yesterday aren’t as good as the average tyres of today. Sure you might get that that last door of grip but just like £200 won’t make you Usian bolt £200 a corner tyres won’t make you stop like a new 911.

Which makes today's top end tyres fantastic. I still don't get your argument. I agree that tyre technology has moved on......so fit top quality rubber. If I can shave off half a metre in an emergency breaking situation because the tyres I'm running have a higher grip rating than a mid or budget range tyre and that in turn saves the car or my life, then the cost becomes utterly insignificant.

Edited by Funkysi

Stephen maybe your Z has been off the road for so long, but a corsa hasn't got anything on a Z, power wise at least.

On everything. I absolutely DETEST Vauxhall Corsas. :lol:

I'd still fit decent tyres to it even if I was in the unfortunate position to have to own or drive one. :lol:

At risk of being branded an idiot and/or heretic…here’s my two penneth….many years ago I worked for Firestone in a large tyre distribution warehouse…where I reached the heady heights of ‘tyre inspector’…I was trained to inspect tyres that had been returned to identify those which were faulty and award a ‘trade in’ value (percentage wise) for the replacement…so I have worked with, and have formed an opinion on tyres.

The high profile ‘better’ brands are more expensive mainly because those companies spend $millions on R&D which they need to recoup…that R&D results in tyres with consistently better performance characteristics…in respect of dry and wet weather grip, wear rate, rolling resistance and noise suppression....tyres today are light years ahead of those 30 years ago.

Cheaper tyres come from companies that don’t spend their resources on endless R&D…they buy the technology from results of the R&D of the high profile ‘better’ companies…and manufacture them in places where labour is cheap….granted they are always behind the innovation curve…and there may be some that don’t manufacture to the same exacting standards…but that is hard to know.

Tyres sold in the EU have to conform to standard tests and ratings for Fuel Efficiency, Wet Grip and Noise Levels…obtaining an A – G grade for each.

I understand that where cheaper tyres ‘tend’ to differ from the high profile ‘better’ brand offerings is in the wear rate…they don’t last as long (probably due to different rubber compounds…but I don’t know)

When I buy tyres I look primarily at the Wet Grip rating …and won’t buy any with less than a ‘B’…I was surprised just how many of the high profile ‘better’ manufacturers have tyres on offer that do not meet a B rating in this category!

I don’t cover many miles in my Z ….so I’m not bothered about wear rate….but it is obviously horses for courses and I know many people who feel happier buying from the high profile ‘better’ manufacturers....and can respect that.

What I did learn while at Firestone is that tyres are only at their maximum potential when they are new…each mile degrades them slightly ….and a new cheaper tyre will almost certainly perform better than any tyre with thousands of miles on it.

Just my opinion…of course…..

Let the abuse and ridicule begin! :ohmy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] "Exaggeration is the enemy of credibility"

Simon...I am talking about the official rating sticker attached to each tyre (same as you get with a new fridge)....I don't know how or where it is tested and awarded...I just use it as a guide for me personally...based on the assumption that it must mean something...or there wouldn't be any point to it....

Tyre Ratings.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] "Exaggeration is the enemy of credibility"

Simon...I am talking about the official rating sticker attached to each tyre (same as you get with a new fridge)....I don't know how or where it is tested and awarded...I just use it as a guide for me personally...based on the assumption that it must mean something...or there wouldn't be any point to it....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110669[/ATTACH]

Awesome, thanks. I totally forgot about the sticker and just went on spec and review.

My Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 are an A rated. :cool:

Have a look on Camskills website they do various deals from week to week. Ive seen goodyear eagle f1 asymetrics at £125 for a 265/30/19. Which is quite honestly a no brainer. Ive sung the praises of the F1's for some time. They are fantastic in the wet and the dry. If you put budget or mid range tyres on your car you do so at your own risk. We all know how "unforgiving" a zed can be in certain situations so why allow fitting crap tyres influence this. I really understand people have budgets but honestly save up the extra and shop around for deals you know it make sense. I also have uniroyal rainsport 3 265/35/18 on the back of the white zed ive driven in ALL weathers with these tyres and so far im very impressed with them.

The point I'm making Ian is that people shout that something is crap before actually testing it for themselves.

I've been at 70 down a damp cold country lane at night and had to stop real hard to avoid hitting a deer and these tyres have performed well, I've also had no issues with the Korean made wheels I'm using. Never had any problems and I don't expect to have a problem, they're all made in the same place most of the time anyway.

And FYI Si, I may not have run high quality tyres on a Z but I'm not sure exactly what you know of my driving experience or history but I've run a 550rwhp rover SD1 on high quality tyres and various other models of vehicles that are high power.

The SD1 being one of the heaviest cars ever, making the Z look like a real slim machine.

That rover had every conceivable mod done including a 720 wizard of NoS kit installed and made the Z look like it was going backwards.

So, you're not talking to someone wet behind the ears here bud, I'm driving 42 tonne of death machine every night which has a whole lot more importance on grip than anything else on the road.

I don't fit tyres that I don't feel are capable of keeping the car on the road, but I don't need tyres that are made for track style driving on a public highway as I don't drive like an imbecile or ever wish to

Just a decent quality tyre to give enough grip to get you out of trouble if needed and be comfortable to drive on.

I've got stock brakes si, the least of my worries with being able to stop if I drive like a nob, is going to be the rubber.

However I can't afford to fit Brembos to the car either..

Seriously, I think I am doing the right thing selling up now, I haven't been in here much the last year but now I'm beginning to understand why.

they're all made in the same place most of the time anyway.

Incorrect.

Seriously, I think I am doing the right thing selling up now, I haven't been in here much the last year but now I'm beginning to understand why.

Oh grow some balls man! :lol:

This is a constructive discussion on tyres. You seem to think that people are saying that Nangkangs are dangerous. No one has said anything of the sort, the discussion is about tyres that are merely better and offer better grip and better performance in braking conditions from proven testing.

No one has said your Nangkangs are whatever you think people have said.

Linglongs though....I'll draw the line that. :lol:

Edited by Funkysi

I'm not sure that weighing slightly less than 1.5 tonnes = one of the heaviest cars ever.

Meanwhile, back on topic: I currently have Accellera tyres on my back end and, as Jimmer will confirm, they offer surprisingly little grip, even in the dry! They're on because I needed tyres and had a small available budget at that point. My Zed hasn't really been anywhere since they were fitted (aside from a trip to Bristol) and they'll be getting changed for something much better before she comes back on the road properly.

As Funky's said, tyres and brakes are the two areas not to skimp on. Yes, not everyone has the pennies to buy the best tyres available but the money is far better spent on them than on cosmetic or power-enhancing mods. :thumbup1:

Stephen maybe your Z has been off the road for so long, but a corsa hasn't got anything on a Z, power wise at least.

In a straight line you should be able to take a top spec Corsa no problem, but bear in mind a top spec Corsa is lighter has better Brakes and suspension and will tear to 60 in 6.5 seconds. On track, particularly a tight one, the Corsa would eat a stock Z32. Sorry but thats a fact. Stump up 30k for a Leon and you will be seeing 0-60 in less than 5 seconds. If you’ve really got some money to burn there’s more than a few offerings from the Germans that will see you in the 3 second bracket in extreme luxury. There’s plenty out there these days to make 300hp very average.

Incorrect.

Oh grow some balls man! :lol:

This is a constructive discussion on tyres. You seem to think that people are saying that Nangkangs are dangerous. No one has said anything of the sort, the discussion is about tyres that are merely better and offer better grip and better performance in braking conditions from proven testing.

No one has said your Nangkangs are whatever you think people have said.

Linglongs though....I'll draw the line that. :lol:

HaHa...says the man who ran crying down the road with almost threats of suicide over our Jeff giving you some a short while back:yes: I read your threads and posts with constant amazement Simon that even after all these years you just cant help yourself being such a pain in the arse with your over inflated views of yourself of perfection...Grow up and let other members and users have views too without constant putting them down you arrogant small man:tt2:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110669[/ATTACH]

This method of labelling tyres IS totally pointless as the manufacturer self certifies its own products. Granted the testing is carried out inline with EU legislation but that leaves alot of factors that can be decided by the manufacturer.

A Linglong tyre may receive an A rating for wet grip when tested by Shangdong Linglong but may receive an E rating if tested by Michelin.

See my point here?

For any comparison test to yield accurate reliable results ALL test methods must be equal.

The labelling system at best is a general guide for the average consumer.

There is NO argument that a cheaper lower priced product can in any way compare to a better one.

I had a Snapon mig welder at home which you would imagine to be a decent welder.....where was it made? The PRC, it was useless compared to the £1200 new one i have just bought.

Everyone must buy what they feel happy with and if your happy with cheap LOW quality rubber then fill ya boots, but dont compare something like a LongDong to a Michelin.

HaHa...says the man who ran crying down the road with almost threats of suicide over our Jeff giving you some a short while back:yes: I read your threads and posts with constant amazement Simon that even after all these years you just cant help yourself being such a pain in the arse with your over inflated views of yourself of perfection...Grow up and let other members and users have views too without constant putting t5hem down you arrogant small man:tt2:

:lol: :lol:

I agree!!

However I'm not being arrogant in this particular thread. :)

HaHa...says the man who ran crying down the road with almost threats of suicide over our Jeff giving you some a short while back:yes: I read your threads and posts with constant amazement Simon that even after all these years you just cant help yourself being such a pain in the arse with your over inflated views of yourself of perfection...Grow up and let other members and users have views too without constant putting them down you arrogant small man:tt2:

Oh, the irony.....

He's not often wrong though........

hey who woke you up...dont you have a group buy to start:tt2:

Profound. I could ask who woke you up too, seeing as your sole contribution to this place nowadays is to bitch at people.

Usually at Jeff, but it's good to see you're broadening your horizons at last.