Veilside's work in progress

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need to go through all the gears slowly to open the solenoid valves and fill the chambers..then let it idle in "park" to take reading

I am going to go and do this now......

Thanks for the advice....

I also received one of these in the post from the US today.....

2012541437353.jpg

Definitely heavier duty than the one fitted to my Z.... a lot chunkier....

Edited by veilside01702

Well I went out and started her.... after 2 minutes my 3 ear old woke up and I was asked / ordered to desist from waking the local children and annoying the old folk in a 3 mile radius with the car running.... lol

I did quietly refit the battery & Battery clamp clamp after painting the clamp and rods gloss black the other day.....

I also received the Lambda bung to fit the centre section of my new exhaust..... Fitted that tonight...... now I just need to swap the centre section with the old one I refitted..... (Different pipe size!)

Looks like I need to jack her up again to fit some bits...

Well posted in other thread that my replacement auto box is same as my old one...... dead.... lol

The replacement box was full of fluid ..... but I had decided to replace this just in case....

I didn't flush the cooler fitted to my Z or their lines when I changed out the old box though..... I am guessing it is full of old black fluid from the old box....

Today I drained the replacement box and dropped the pan off..... the new oil is still red, but is full of black muck and the magnet had lots of magnetic sludge stuck to it....

The filter was clogged up..... so hoping it was just blocked up....

I have found a loose metal joiner pipe inside the box.

On my old box it has 2 metal retainers stopping it dropping out, but the replacement box I fitted has No retainers and the pipe drops out, so going to fit them from the old box....

I know the torque converter was fully drained and refilled with fresh fluid as I did this prior to fitting....

My old box also had a drain plug in the sump, so guessing it is of a pathfinder or similar and was swapped before I got her....

I am going to refit filter now I have cleaned with parts cleaner and degreaser, fit new gasket and the old units sump with the drain plug. I have scrubbed sump and magnet in cleaner.

I will have to flush the cooler and lines to make sure they are clear then refit them....

I was thinking of flushing the box a couple of times with cheapest dexron i can find, before finally filling with some good quality fluid if the box works okay....?

Oh..... I also snapped 2 of the bolts on the sump as they were completely seized and just snapped straight away... rest came out easily.....

I picked up my new transmission gasket from Mike at MJP..... Drilled out the snapped bolts and rethreaded the holes....

I cleaned and sprayed the transmission sump in black metallic pearl paint... as I only had this in the garage.... lol

Looks pretty anyway....

Tomorrow is refit new gasket and sump and refill with fluid..... then testing time.....

I also had a look at my new external transmission filter I got from the states, but need to know which pipe is in and which is out from the auto box?

Anyone know?

Well she is off her blocks and level on the ground....... all ready for me to check the fluid level tomorrow.... I need to warm her up do the gear change and check the fluid level in neutral..... but too late for all the kids in the close.... lol

I am at work tomorrow and going to use some of my leu time owed for a long lunch and test drive....hopefully........ if I get the time........ the advantage of working 5 minutes away from my work.... lol

If she is okay then I shall be changing out the brake fluid before JAE........ as this hasn't been changed for a long long time.......

Well she is off her blocks and level on the ground....... all ready for me to check the fluid level tomorrow.... I need to warm her up do the gear change and check the fluid level in neutral..... but too late for all the kids in the close.... lol

I am at work tomorrow and going to use some of my leu time owed for a long lunch and test drive....hopefully........ if I get the time........ the advantage of working 5 minutes away from my work.... lol

If she is okay then I shall be changing out the brake fluid before JAE........ as this hasn't been changed for a long long time.......

Good luck mate! Feel you need it after reading up on your recent car problems! Fingers crossed all goes to plan this time.

Just a little tip russ, after you have set the level when cold u need to drive the car a decent distance to properly warm up the fluid, idling on the drive will take ages, set the level cold, run engine, go through the gears stopping in each fir a few seconds, back to P, Leave engine running, recheck level, then go for a steady drive for around 10 miles, into P, leave running and check the level hits the hot mark. Good luck mate. :thumbup1:

Just a little tip russ, after you have set the level when cold u need to drive the car a decent distance to properly warm up the fluid, idling on the drive will take ages, set the level cold, run engine, go through the gears stopping in each fir a few seconds, back to P, Leave engine running, recheck level, then go for a steady drive for around 10 miles, into P, leave running and check the level hits the hot mark. Good luck mate. :thumbup1:

Hi Chris, I thought it was neutral to check level?

Or is park okay?

I went through gears tonight after warming her up and she dropped revs to a smooth idle ....... before it got too late... just didn't get to check the level and top her up....

I got the thump as she went into reverse and all gears.... seems to be engaging gears.... just hoping she moves without losing drive or slipping......

Well she did it again.... got a few miles down the road taking it easy...... then all drive went..... now have a horrible noise sounding like the pump has gone in the auto box.......

I have now had enough...... Not going to make JAE...... I feel sick....

No time left to pull the box and find the problem......

Well she did it again.... got a few miles down the road taking it easy...... then all drive went..... now have a horrible noise sounding like the pump has gone in the auto box.......

:( These cars can be Bas$%ds at times as i know all too well...forget about it for a week mate and compose your thoughts then go back to a positive course of action....Like finding another GOOD KNOWN box and get it fitted;)

Ah dude, that's crap.... :(

:( These cars can be Bas$%ds at times as i know all too well...forget about it for a week mate and compose your thoughts then go back to a positive course of action....Like finding another GOOD KNOWN box and get it fitted;)

Unfortunately there is no money left to do anything as saving for family going for surprise Disney land holiday in the US next year....... booked it and now trying to get together the spending money......

So going to be dead for a year or so........