Scottish independence and The United Kingdom

I agree that that is a lunatic idea, healthcare is free along as you don't need medacine to take at home, fine if your in hospital though, it's nonsense. Equally I have never understood why the NHS gives you everything for free unless it's your teeth or eyes, why dentists and opticians are seperate to the rest I have no idea.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's probably not joking as he works for them lol. Whilst I do think there is a real chance you may go independent I personally think the honeymoon period will wear off quick, the same bent self indulgent politicians will be in charge albeit they will be all Scottish prats instead of a mix of British prats who are mostly English prats.

Becoming a part of the EU proper will bring more grief than benefit, let's face it were on the verge of being the country of Europe and the countries being more like states in their composition at which point it will make scratch all difference all this independence buisness. Interesting times ahead, very interesting.

All Salmond has done is divide Scotland down the middle. No matter which way the vote goes half of Scotland is going to be extremely pee'd off. There will be riots on the streets as soon as the results are known.

I was born in Scotland, as were my parents, I've lived in England since the 80's and have always considered myself British first. If the vote goes to the yes lot then I'll be taking English Citizenship and will never go back. I'm NOT going to be a foreigner living in England and want to remain British.

Where do i start lol... Politicians have no concept of reality, ie living in the real world/our world.

Average house prices or wages when announced by the government unfortunately include London, which has probably the highest wages per capita and highest property prices, so we never get a true reflection of any real average throughout the country.

We only ever hear bad news or scaremongering in the media, after all misery sells, so we are also only getting a portion of the info from the media or politicians regarding any benefits or advantages to independence.

I personally couldnt give a damn either way, but you got to ask yourself, has Salmond really thought everything through, with a contingency in place just in case he is wrong.

What if he is wrong and when its too late to change the decision, Scotland is out on a limb and no doubt the country as a whole will suffer, usually financially.

Like most changes though that people are against or unsure of, it might turn out to be the best thing to happen,i hope that if independence does go ahead, then it works out well for us all....

Unfortunately we cant survive on hope alone :scared:

Where does the money come from for Scotland to sustain their free healthcare and free education? It is my understanding that Scotland is mainly subsidised from the uk tax payer as Scotland receive more funding then they receive in Scottish tax payers money.

Their oil I'd imagine!

Like it or lump it fossil fuels are finite resource you cannot base the future of a country on them. They also become out of fashion or superseeded if you had told the miners it was all going to fall apart they wouldn't have believed you I doubt but look how that went. As I say interesting times ahead.

Where does the money come from for Scotland to sustain their free healthcare and free education? It is my understanding that Scotland is mainly subsidised from the uk tax payer as Scotland receive more funding then they receive in Scottish tax payers money.

Wouldn't it be just fab if the subsidised scots just voted yes and unburdened the rest of the UK with the expense of keeping them. Maybe if the rest of the UK had a vote in the referendum they would give the YES campaign a massive boost!

Wouldn't it be just fab if the subsidised scots just voted yes and unburdened the rest of the UK with the expense of keeping them. Maybe if the rest of the UK had a vote in the referendum they would give the YES campaign a massive boost!

It was a genuine question as I don't understand how they sustain themselves financially. It has been mentioned about the oil reserves but I didn't think they had been tapped into yet?

There's loads of things that will have to be paid for you just don't think of. The new Scotland will need a defence service, until then they can't join NATO, there's a real chance the EU will reject them and many other costings for a new individual country. The costs to us will be high too, something about moving the trident missiles and that costing five billion. It's going to be a long drawn out affair, not simply a quick oh now were just Scotland.

There's loads of things that will have to be paid for you just don't think of. The new Scotland will need a defence service, until then they can't join NATO, there's a real chance the EU will reject them and many other costings for a new individual country. The costs to us will be high too, something about moving the trident missiles and that costing five billion. It's going to be a long drawn out affair, not simply a quick oh now were just Scotland.

For Scotland to be a member of NATO they would have to agree to the nuclear sharing policy. That is is a concept in

NATO's policy of nuclear deterrence, which involves member countries without nuclear weapons of their own in the

planning for the use of nuclear weapons by NATO, and in particular provides for the armed forces of these countries

to be involved in delivering these weapons in the event of their use. This would go against the nuclear free

Scotland that the SNP has stated it wants.

As for membership of the EU, membership of a new country has to be agreed to by all existing members. Several

EU countries have their own separatist and/or independence problems - Catalan separatists, as well as pro-independence

Basques in northern Spain; Corsicans who want to break away from France; and Flemish speakers in Belgium demanding

more autonomy, independence or union with the Netherlands. For those countries to agree to an independent Scotland

joining the EU would surely be a green light for trouble at home.

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

There are 28 members of NATO, 20 of those countries dont have nuclear weapons. Although it's a stated aim of the Nats to remove them from Scotland, I think it will (if ever) be a long time before it actually happens. I'm sure politicians (as is their nature) will find a way to both reject nukes and go along with them simultaneously!

The EU might reject Scotland as a member however given that the country has 60% of the EU oil, a huge chunk of the EU gas reserves, 25% of EU offshore renewable energy as well as wind energy. There are 6 cruise lelsewhere currently berthed at Lerwick in Shetland to house the construction workers who are expanding the Sullom Voe oil terminal. UK figures published state that there will be 20,000 new jobs in that development over the next two years and that due to skills shortages, we (the UK) will only be able to fill 8000, the rest will come from elsewhere.

I dont know who/how/when etc Scotland's membership of the EU would be decided, but if resource rich industrial giants like Romania, Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia etc can join, them I'd expect that there's a chance that Scotland might also be considered for membership.

Whaterever happens on Thursday happens, it will at least be interesting to watch.