Scottish independence and The United Kingdom

(This is a serious comment or questioning, it's supposed to be a bit if stupidity)

So if Scotland vote for independence that will leave the United Kingdom as England and Wales, obviously part of Ireland as well is that still controversial as well? So basically are the only countries in the UK that want to be part if it England and Wales? Only 20 people live in Wales, I've been there, some cities but mostly mountains. So are we on the verge of being the United Kingdom of one? Will we have to revert to being just plain English? That could be interesting seeing as it's public opinion that the St Geogres Flag is the EDL logo. Also considering I'm about 40% Scottish can I get dual nationality and rack up the points on my Scotish liecense, just like the toffs from the Channel Islands.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL.. I work in Wales and when you say are the only countries that want to be part of the 'United Kingdom'.. I think you are a little confuses because Wales have a large number of people who also want Wales to be independent from England.

I don't see what the fuss is about myself... and I'm sure they'd have a much better change of getting a good deal with in the UK as going it alone in the EU...

I guess it's all about how you see yourself and the country you live in.

The welsh also say that it wouldn't change the flag if they left because there is no part of their flag in it...

The people of Scotland will have there say and I hope they think long and hard on there future. I as you know live in Northern Ireland and I am classed as an Ulster/Scot as my father is from Scotland and being part of the UK has huge benefits for us. If Ireland was all one country I would find it very hard to survive financially and Scotland could find themselves financially worse of also(when the oil runs out)

So in my opinion I hope they vote No for independence and stay within the Union. Vote with your head Scotland and not your hart.

I was listening this morning to the radio and they were saying about how you can be a proud scot and be part of the UK, Scotland has a rich history with England beyond simply the invasion and occupation which let's not forget is more to do with the occupation of England itself, it's only been a country in it's own right for about 1500 years, before that it was tribal counties as such.

I think you will find that Scotland and England were joined as united kingdoms by inheritance, a scots king inherited the English throne. Equally I find it amusing about them not feeling included when the former PM was Scottish.

Very good and intresting thread Steve but its heaaaavvvvy sh1t atm and for this very reason ime out:rofl::D

Haha, I eat heavy for breakfast. In all seriousness though the best way to discuss anything like this is as a joke, failing to past behind you and embracing history as history is what causes a lot of wrong in the world. Don't worry though, when I'm Grand Emperor of the World, scrub that Grand Emperor of the Solar System il sort these things out.

Scottish King inherited kingdom of England (= countries England + Wales) 1603 hence monarchs of both kingdoms since James 6 of Scotland inherited after QE1. That's why James 6 of SCotland is also James 1 of England. But the two kingdoms were separate legal entities / kingdoms - just happened to be same family.

Scotland went nearly bankrupt due to (amongst many things) failed South American colony in Darien. Union of the kingdoms then followed.

Great Britiain = (England + Wales) + Scotland. Act of Union 1707

Then Kingdom of Ireland and Kingdom of Great Britain became united in 1801 - hence "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" as we have today.

(Don't get me on to the Channel Islands - I have a tractor driver's license for Sark which is one of my prized possessions.)

So 1) that's why I'm a republican :) and 2) how dare the politicians north and south of the border get things so badly wrong that some oily prat thinks they can break up over 300 years of history just to claim the top jobs for him and his cronies? It's not a matter of England vs Scotland, it's more important than that.

(Oh, and, I'm with Gary - my family is part Ulster, part Ulster Scot, part English so up the mongrels and keep the union!)

In algebraic form: The United Kingdom of (((England + Wales) + Scotland)) + (Ireland - Republic)). I think. Sheesh.

Edited by Gio
constituional affairs

:thumbup1: Great stuff Gio, wonderfully eloquent as usual. it just points out how more complicated it is than what most people think, that England took over Scotland and claimed it as its own, its a bit more mutual than that LOL. I think you hit the nail on the head though that its more about lining top brasses own pockets than the best interests of Joe blogs on the street.

Nice to see you dudes taking an interest in this.

I had an interesting discussion with a Marine yesterday at work. He asked which way I intended to vote.

With him being a good friend, I told him I'm gonna put an X in the "Aye" box. His next line was

"I'm disgusted and Insulted" to which I met him with a baffled look.

He seemed to think it was wrong that I was voting yes on the basis that it's an insult to all the men and women

Who died in conflict in the forces. Just shows how ignorant and narrow minded some people can be.

I had an interesting discussion with a Marine yesterday at work. He asked which way I intended to vote.

With him being a good friend, I told him I'm gonna put an X in the "Aye" box. His next line was

He seemed to think it was wrong that I was voting yes on the basis that it's an insult to all the men and women

Who died in conflict in the forces. Just shows how ignorant and narrow minded some people can be.

I know a lot of Scottish people would love independence Mikey but just cant see it working out mate but good luck if the yes votes wins. Scotland is very dear to my hart I love the Country and the people and want the best for them.:clover:

I'm with you mate I am actually originally from liverpool but lived in scotland a long time and I am going to vote yes not going in to the reasons why dont want to ruffle feathers but I have good valid reasons.

I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning as long as you can apply your reasoning as your own opinion, if that makes sense. As in present it in a way that it is your opinion and accept the fact that others may no necessarily agree, debate is enlightening. All we seem to be hearing about ATM is money, how it will effect people economically. Maybe Scottish people's opinions arnt that dissimilar to the rest of the UK, I can honestly tell you for example that living somewhere that couldn't be more different from central London that it often feels the rules are dished out and applied based upon things that have no bearing to us and can be completely illogical. For example the recent focusing on the criminal persecution of the humble pocket knife.

Ok

1/ There is this whole Boris Johnson Trying to change the rules for diesel car emissions which I partially agree with within london but he is trying to have the rule applied through out the uk including scotland and remote areas such as where I live which is just total shit as to start with people where encouraged to buy diesel cars 4x4's etc and where I live pretty much every household there second car is a 4x4 its almost a necessity come winter time if scotland go's independent I am dam sure that this rule would not apply to remote locations if any.

2/ Bedroom tax ok now this has now been abolished and over turned in scotland which is a win but initially when this was brought in by controlling bodies in Westminster it caused terrible distress to countless people forcing old people who had been in there house for years brought up there children in the very same house people aged 70-90 to be forced to move out of there homes with lifetimes worth of memories simply because they can not afford the stupid bedroom tax for the rooms which they were no longer using and lets face it they wouldn't be alive that much longer to put things bluntly to me this was bullying and myself suffered from this also I now live in a local authority house and have done ever since I became ill The house is adapted for me and had a spare room(For my carer when needed) when this rule came in I was served with letters to push me out of my home which at the time were very distressing given the fact that I was in hospital at the time. which didn't aid my recovery any sooner, I know this is a personal experience but i am sure that other people had this and worse and it all could have been avoided.

3/knives ok so I wasn't totally up on the whole knife law but I have had a quick scan and as far as I am aware In scotland anyway you are allowed to carry a pocket knife if you have a genuine reason for doing so i.e you need it for work and you are going to work coming back from work etc I actually have a friend who works on a local estate to me who needs a knife for his work, but in my own personal opinion I do not have a problem with hard crack down on knives as I have a few friends who have been subject of serious assaults involving knives and the damage they can do can be irreversible I do understand that people who go fishing and hunting may need knives but to me a knife is a knife if the blade locks when open its very dangerous.

I have to say none of those issues are isolated to Scotland, the county I live in which is 2 hours from London has no motorway, and many villages where the bus comes on a Wednesday to take you to town for market day and home again that's your lot. Big diesel estates and 4x4s are family tools. It often feels with some the laws and regs they come with sone of these politicians have never left London, never been somewhere where if you fall over and hurt yourself it's a helicopter of nothing.

The situation surrounding the benefits, primarily their improper allocation is a UK wide issue no doubt about that. Which is why so many people get so angry and passionate about it. The differences I wages in different regions is crazy and tbh one of the places to see the divide between the rich and poor is London itself.

The question id like to ask and you don't have to answer it it's for you, how would you be better off? The same fat cars would take the same shares of the pie. Your pie might shrink but it doesn't mean the gm greed of those in charge will change, politicians see common folk as cannon fodder and cash machines, that's not new and it's sadly unlikely to change.

Z32Bolt

(politicians see common folk as cannon fodder and cash machines, that's not new and it's sadly unlikely to change) I agree with you there mate, But being a smaller country is easier to administrate to protect the national health service, free education and a fairer justice system. Because of my various illnesses I am on lots of medications for which Because I am in Scotland I do not need to pay for these England still charge if the rule was Uk spread i.e Scotland also I would not be able to afford some of the medications which I need to make my life easier and my body healthier.