What did you do to your zed today?

On Thursday, mine was dug out of the garage to find that the Japanese battery had finally given up the ghost. Honestly who would have thought that keeping a car for 5 months in a garage would kill a 15+ year old, original Japanese battery?! Things are not made the same anymore....

Anyway, after car was jumped (auto, cant bump it!) and the oil had stopped the lifters making that cringing noise, I drove it to the garage to have the new wheels and tyres installed and a new battery. The cars parts guy took just over 2 hours to find a correct replacement, but Yuasa do make the correct size battery with the terminals on the correct side. £97 with 5 year warrenty.

I then had a good look underneath to see what was what. Car is pristine underneath. Everything black from the factory, no dings/marks/dents on chassis, just a couple on the cats heat shield from an enthuastic sleeping policeman. There is the tinyest of oil weeps, that left a 50p sized puddle on the garage floor over the past 5 months. Its coming out between the back of the engine and the gear box, so I suspect its the main rear seal going. I will get this done on the next service.

I then, on Saturday, drive it to and from a friends house with the roof off and remembered exactly why I love it so much 😄

Picture is of car up on ramp having wheels replaced. If you look (very) carefully in front of the "mustang" tool chest you can see the new wheels...

image.jpeg.4ab9067ccf4c13f40a7ece017784cdf9.jpeg

Picture of original Japanese battery that let me down after 15-ish years....honestly who would have thought it....

image.jpeg.ea1cc51d2c22f058b401715633a705c9.jpeg

Looking forward to the AGM now!

• Like 3
  • Love 3

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

12 minutes ago, JaiKai said:

Started up Spare Zed number 2 for the first time in over a month, still sounds great but has a slight tick on the lifters that wasn't there last time, shame I can't take this one for a spin. 😢

20240414_102716.jpg

The tick will be from the oil falling down the engine while it's been sitting for a long time. Run it on idle for about 20mins and as the oil gets moved to the top of the engine the tick will disappear. Mine did it on Thursday after five months of not being run

• Like 1

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

Started to break the black zed today as the sun was out.

Stripped the front of the interior to get the dash out, plan was to transplant this dash to better zed but 

unfortunately the condition of the dash wasnt great and the plastics on it are very brittle and lots of cracks.

image.jpeg.13cdc46e224be251dab836e46d49a033.jpeg

image.jpeg.6a5ab8ea99dd7bfe64debf96733c455a.jpeg

• Like 1