What did you do to your zed today?

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted above suspension yesterday.... Well managed to fit the fronts. The backs put up a fight. I couldn't even get the first 17mm nut off. Tried for three hours...Resigned to the fact that my tame mechanic will have to do it....To make matters worse, found the diff and rear subframe bushes are completely shot. They look like originals, so they have done well, but they need changing. Had a dig around my garage and found some poly bush ones I bought a few years ago. Ill derust and Kurust the body while the sub-frame is off, replace the brake and fuel lines that are around that area too. It will end up feeling like a new car, although the wife is less than impressed.... ?

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

1 hour ago, TheRealNips said:

Fitted above suspension yesterday.... Well managed to fit the fronts. The backs put up a fight. I couldn't even get the first 17mm nut off. Tried for three hours...Resigned to the fact that my tame mechanic will have to do it....To make matters worse, found the diff and rear subframe bushes are completely shot. They look like originals, so they have done well, but they need changing. Had a dig around my garage and found some poly bush ones I bought a few years ago. Ill derust and Kurust the body while the sub-frame is off, replace the brake and fuel lines that are around that area too. It will end up feeling like a new car, although the wife is less than impressed.... ?

Borrow an impact driver. Be off in about 5 seconds flat. 

They’re quite expensive for a good one, one suitable for automotive works. You can hire one from HSS for about £30 for the day, you’d get the whole back end sorted like that. 
The nuts that hold the drive shafts on the hub are a pain without one and getting them out the way makes life much easier. I assume you will be removing/fitting the rear subframe assembly in parts? The diff alone is far heavier than you’d guess, I recon it’s heavier than the gear box. 

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

I keep a 4ft bar in the corner for when the going gets tough

I broke the locking mechanism in my big rachet. I snapped the end off of my bar, used a whole can (small) of WD40, bent a 2m long metal tube (my bar replacement), taught my next door neighbours a whole host of swear words (English and Chinese) and then admitted defeat...

• Like 1

I broke the locking mechanism in my big rachet. I snapped the end off of my bar, used a whole can (small) of WD40, bent a 2m long metal tube (my bar replacement), taught my next door neighbours a whole host of swear words (English and Chinese) and then admitted defeat...
Aching muscles today then! Is it a nut your stuck on? Could try a (hilariously named) nut cracker, I've had a lot of success with them. Splits the nut in two but doesn't damage the bolt. Need a new nut if course, but very handy when you can't stop ball joints spinning for example

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Trouble is with the nut splitter, if it’s the nut im thinking it is, it’s flanged so the flanged portion would remain.
I’d say throw some heat at it but the bush and strut could suffer. 
In my experience, even if you only split some of the nut, the friction is massively reduced and then it's easy to spin it off as normal

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

As I was cramped under the car held up by two axle stands on the road at the top of my drive, I decided that my mechanic will suffer the stress and pain. My wallet will suffer the stress instead. I could have done the rear suspension if I could get that nut un-done, but as the subframe needs doing, there is no point fitting the suspension and then having to un-do it all for the subframe to come out. I don't have any ramps or lifts or things to hold heavy items, so I think this is the safest way. He said he will charge me £150 to take the subframe out, fit the new bushes and fit the suspension (I have already taken the rear interior apart). Im also allowed to de-rust and protect the car while he is working on the bushes which is a plus.

I was thinking of getting one of these when I can afford it:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee-m18-fid2-502x-fuel-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-redlithium-brushless-cordless-impact-driver/713fj

As I was cramped under the car held up by two axle stands on the road at the top of my drive, I decided that my mechanic will suffer the stress and pain. My wallet will suffer the stress instead. I could have done the rear suspension if I could get that nut un-done, but as the subframe needs doing, there is no point fitting the suspension and then having to un-do it all for the subframe to come out. I don't have any ramps or lifts or things to hold heavy items, so I think this is the safest way. He said he will charge me £150 to take the subframe out, fit the new bushes and fit the suspension (I have already taken the rear interior apart). Im also allowed to de-rust and protect the car while he is working on the bushes which is a plus.
I was thinking of getting one of these when I can afford it:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee-m18-fid2-502x-fuel-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-redlithium-brushless-cordless-impact-driver/713fj

Seems like very cheap labour and money well spent to me! I had to change my diff and it is really really heavy. I lifted it into my car with the breaker I bought it off. You’d need two guys to lift it out if your car is jacked up on the side of the road (for safety) when you undo the bolts or a transmission jack but that’d be difficult when the cars that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yes, that's why I decided I didn't have the tools to do it safely. I have known the guy for years and he did his apprenticeship at nissan in the 90s. He does give me a good rate, so it is worth it to get him to do the difficult bits I can't do

• Like 1

Sounds good to me. The car will be transformed when you replace the rear end bushes. Changing bushes and worn suspension bits is probably one of the best things you can do to an older car in terms of driving feel/confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stephen said:

On your back with hobby tools, it is. In a proper garage with a lift and all the toys it’s gotta be far, far easier. 

I will find out on tuesday as ill be there first hand to watch/hinder ?

Today, I drove mine..... A little 250-ish mile round trip!

We were supposed to be on holiday - after postponing yet again.... But this time, Julia and me decided I would have this week off work; and instead of going away, we'd do a few day trips. So for the first one, we took the Zed down to Dover and did the White Cliffs walk back and forth to St Margaret's. Then on to Deal, to wander along the sea front to Walmer and back.

T'was a nice day in the sunshine - not to mention the thrill of giving the Zed a good blast :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

11 hours ago, RichardS said:

Today, I drove mine..... A little 250-ish mile round trip!

We were supposed to be on holiday - after postponing yet again.... But this time, Julia and me decided I would have this week off work; and instead of going away, we'd do a few day trips. So for the first one, we took the Zed down to Dover and did the White Cliffs walk back and forth to St Margaret's. Then on to Deal, to wander along the sea front to Walmer and back.

T'was a nice day in the sunshine - not to mention the thrill of giving the Zed a good blast :classic_biggrin:

Ash and I are in the middle of our two week holiday at the moment. Was meant to spend a week in the Isle of Wight and a week camping in the South West. We are doing little day trips here and there, Its been good so far apart from the weather. 12 weeks of lockdown sun for everyone to enjoy/boast about, then me (keyworker) gets two weeks off and its pisses it down.... Im not bitter..... honest....?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheRealNips said:

Ash and I are in the middle of our two week holiday at the moment. Was meant to spend a week in the Isle of Wight and a week camping in the South West. We are doing little day trips here and there, Its been good so far apart from the weather. 12 weeks of lockdown sun for everyone to enjoy/boast about, then me (keyworker) gets two weeks off and its pisses it down.... Im not bitter..... honest....?

Hate to say it, but it was mostly sunny in the Dover area yesterday.....

….Although a little overcast in Stratford upon Avon today, but at least it remained dry. I left the Zed at home this time though :classic_wink:

• Like 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Not had a chance to drive the car much, battery died the other day so new one has been installed. I noticed an oil drop where I park the other day, so my nice clean engine and gearbox is covered. On investigation it looks like the rear of the left hand intake cover, extremely hard to see. I did not replace the crush washers so hoping it’s going to be that. Having deleted most of the plenum stuff should be an easy pull, apart from the stupid clips on the injectors. I still have to change the LH O2 sensor.

Diag from the other day

ADA3FCBB-A71D-41E3-BF51-D0C07A890AB9.thumb.jpeg.7f4b2b134697ee5e21a7e3ca4c15e411.jpeg

Purchased a new battery for my laptop so will log data next time I have a long run.

• Like 1

2002 Porsche C2 996 3.6 
1991 Nissan 300zx TT Project

1995 Nissan 300zx TT Crashed 🥲

1997 Jaguar XK8 Scraped ☹️