when do u know that . . . ITS TIME!!!

when do you know when you have to give up on the zed?

Its at phil's getting the engine rebuilt at the minute.

The problem i have is that after its sat around in the elements for so long its apparently in bad shape. I believe the main problem is the back arches but having heard from a fellow member on here the car is in a lot worse shape than i think.

I also know i need to check under the back seat to look at the floor etc.

There's the option of buying another zed cheap and putting the engine and any other good stuff into it from my current 1.

What else should i think about doing? I will be going wide arch so if its just the arches then i should be ok.

To be honest im just wondering is it time to give up

Membership No 0780

INSURANCE GOOFA

Datascan, Conzult, ECUTalk and a few others

I have all the rare bits you can't find :tongue::tongue:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest Coopers-SWB

Not being funny but it is a car.

From your sig you have obviously spent a lot of money trying to get it right but if it has gone it has gone.

From the fact that you are asking this quiestion you know it is time to move on to another car, especially if what you suspect is wrong with the body is true.

If you have the time and money to make one good one out of two then go for it.

Darrell

I think you would be better looking for a good shell mate, honestly you could spend loads and loads tidying that shell and it still not be right. Its a UK car with alot of miles on it, if i were you id try and find somthing and transfer all the nice bits (wheels, new engine and gearbox etc) into the clean shell. There ar eplenty about for very little money.

then sell whats left of the pair of as parts, youd probably almost get what you paid for the other shell. (I.e look for one with a dead turbo etc!)

BIRD! I know of no one who has percivered with such a troublesome car as you mate. I take my hat off to you and if I ever win the loto jackpot I am going to give you my car for free. That is a promise, you can mark my words. :bow::bow:

lol. So where do i find a good shell then? Anyone got one? I still want to have a uk car and the fact its a series 2 so if i change bits about is it possible to just change the body over?

Membership No 0780

INSURANCE GOOFA

Think you really need to go and see it first mate, it may turn out to be just arches and they are quite easy to sort out and for not big money.

Go see it, get some advice and take it from there.

Good shells arn't really too difficult to find and some zeds are only fetching hundreds because of engine probs and a bit tatty, as long as they are sound underneath, thats all that matters and yes no matter what model, you can pretty much swap everything straight over.

smithy

Edited by Smithy

could i do it and still class it as the same uk zed under insurance, dvla etc?

Im going to try and cool a day off work to go and see it this week if i can

Membership No 0780

INSURANCE GOOFA

Hat off to you mate - i have followed your battle to get things rolling with astonishment.

Shouldnt be that hard to get hold of a resonably cheap UK model which fits your needs - can I ask though why you want a UK car in particular? If you go for a Jap model you'll find much less corrosion (they use volcanis ash rather than salt on their roads). And why Series II?

Oh, btw I am on my third Zed now - there have been many occasions when Ive thought about giving it up but then when you get it going it just puts such a huge smile on your face!

As well as that, will you be able to live with yourself when you see someone driving one past you and thinking "That could have been me!" - although at the end of the day its just a car I've never felt so connected to any of my previous cars -the spark will always be there - after all there was a reason we bought our Zeds i the first place!!

Lee, you really need to sit down, look at what options are there and work out some prices, for example.

To get your car sorted, how much bodywork, how much engine work, plus the suspension, brakes, tuning. I know you have a lot of parts, but there will be more expense.

Do you really want big power?

Other option is to break your zed, selling all your parts and buy a good clean example, either standard, or if you want a modified one, might be cheaper to find one already done.

I know youve been pushed into some of your decisions by people who have conned you etc. I would take sometime out, work out what you want, how much you can afford. Last thing you want to do is throw all your money into it, then find out you cant afford to keep it and sell it at a loss.

Good luck

Barry

Thanks guys, I won't be looking to sell it once it is done.

I would like a high power output but looking to stick with what I have bought. I am wanting to go wide arch anyway so provided the rest of the car isn't too bad then ill be keeping it and cutting the rust out etc.

As for the ECU/tuning etc, the ECU will be going to Danny jto get chipped, once the engine has been ran in I will then look at tuning etc.

As for brakes and suspension, it is on my list and at present is not a big issue as I need to know whether the car is in good enough shape to start with.

I have made enquiries to get these parts already but need to see the state of the car before I do anything.

Membership No 0780

INSURANCE GOOFA

Hat off to you mate - i have followed your battle to get things rolling with astonishment.

Shouldnt be that hard to get hold of a resonably cheap UK model which fits your needs - can I ask though why you want a UK car in particular? If you go for a Jap model you'll find much less corrosion (they use volcanis ash rather than salt on their roads). And why Series II?

Ive always had a UK one and the insurance for me is cheaper (It might not be now but was at last renewal)

I love the series 2 and the interior of my car.

Basically I love my car and want to fix it if I can.

I have spend thousands keeping it on the road so I don't really want to give up on it now. I will if its not safe of course though

Membership No 0780

INSURANCE GOOFA

what you need to do is work out over a 5 year period how much extra the insurance would be for a jap...lets say an extra £200 a year x five = £1000 then work out how much your going to throw at yours to bring it back to life and you dont have to think hard to work out by buying a cheap j-spec with a goosed motor but a1 body then break yours after swapping the best bits over including the re-built motor and you would still be streets ahead instead of pouring anymore wonga down the drain trying to save a car that would still find it hard to make £4000 atm. thats what ide do in your shoes but whatever you do then goodluck;)

I'm in a similar position, so far I have only spent money on getting the engine running correctly and its going great now, but as I have been doing various jobs on it I have noticed rust all over the place, mines a 1990 UK model, I have been thinking about getting a jap shell and swapping the engine, the rust thats worrying me on mine is at the bottom of the pillars that the door hinges are on, not sure if they are fixable but its got it mot in October so am going to wait and see how it gets on then.