Thoughts please... EVO or GTR Brembos...

Trying to weigh up whether the cost saving of evo brembos is worth the hassle over the bolt on ease of the gtr jobbies... granted, krsmayo has done most of the leg work so it would be fairly straight forward but are there any gains or losses to be made either way?

For example... i remember when rodder25 bought royals zed with r34 brembos on he said that the master cylinder in the zed was not quite up to the capacity of fluid movement the the brembos required... i believe this was down to insufficient bleeding as i dont see any other reports of this problem from many others with this simple bolt on upgrade.

That said, the evo brembos are HUGE! the gtr variants look small in comparison... it looks good under the rims but is there any way this could cause adverse affects to what is trying to be achieved?

krsmayo has stated that his seem to work fine but he has not used them in anger yet... im just keen to find out whether the rest of the braking system is up to the job to make it a worth while expense over the ye old, stock caliper bracket with bigger discs mod? my concerns mainly evolve around the bmc and the pedal travel/stiffness... maybe im just being anal but if some1 could put my mind at rest, thankyou please!

would be interesting to compare the caliper piston diameters from a stock zed, the gtr brembo and the evo brembo as with some simple math we can get a good idea of clamping forces etc... the evo pistons might be the same diamter as the gtr and therefore just has a larger surface area of the caliper itself, resulting in more efficient, better cooled brakes...

il stop talking now!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The balance will be out anyway, whatever calipers you use as they are from different weight cars with different brakes and different abs computers anyway!

The calipers for the front will be doing most of the work the rears are not as important are they guide the rear wheels and do not do as much work as the fronts!

The balance will be out anyway, whatever calipers you use as they are from different weight cars with different brakes and different abs computers anyway!

The calipers for the front will be doing most of the work the rears are not as important are they guide the rear wheels and do not do as much work as the fronts!

i agree matey... so when chosing an aftermarket brake setup, we would need to weigh up whether setup gives a close match to stock brake bias. if not, it can have an adverse affect on braking performance? alternatively find a way to change the bias.

imo, the brake torque needs to be worked out from whatever aftermarket brake setup is going to be fitted and also the brake torque from the stock setup, then bias adjustments may be needed to be made to retain the correct bias.

or am i reading between the lines or just reading far too much into it?

Trying to weigh up whether the cost saving of evo brembos is worth the hassle over the bolt on ease of the gtr jobbies... granted, krsmayo has done most of the leg work so it would be fairly straight forward but are there any gains or losses to be made either way?

For example... i remember when rodder25 bought royals zed with r34 brembos on he said that the master cylinder in the zed was not quite up to the capacity of fluid movement the the brembos required... i believe this was down to insufficient bleeding as i dont see any other reports of this problem from many others with this simple bolt on upgrade.

That said, the evo brembos are HUGE! the gtr variants look small in comparison... it looks good under the rims but is there any way this could cause adverse affects to what is trying to be achieved?

krsmayo has stated that his seem to work fine but he has not used them in anger yet... im just keen to find out whether the rest of the braking system is up to the job to make it a worth while expense over the ye old, stock caliper bracket with bigger discs mod? my concerns mainly evolve around the bmc and the pedal travel/stiffness... maybe im just being anal but if some1 could put my mind at rest, thankyou please!

would be interesting to compare the caliper piston diameters from a stock zed, the gtr brembo and the evo brembo as with some simple math we can get a good idea of clamping forces etc... the evo pistons might be the same diamter as the gtr and therefore just has a larger surface area of the caliper itself, resulting in more efficient, better cooled brakes...

il stop talking now!

Plenty of Z32's running much larger brakes than the EVO or GTR setup with stock BMC and Im pretty sure the 300zx has the largest Master cylinder of the lot.

Not sure about deciding between the two, I doubt there is a huge difference in performance between them both...there are just as many EVO owners upgrading there brakes to bigger aftermarket ones as there are owners of other Brembo equiped cars (gtr, 350z..etc).

If they end up costing anything towards to £1k figure IMO your better of looking at the K-sports, or a 2nd hand set of the more expensive big name brands (AP racing, Rotora, Stoptech..etc) if lucky enough to catch a set coming available (keep an eye on oversea clubs too).