Radiator

Finally got the rad fitted in the car, just a bit of plumbing an air box, manifolds and an alternator to go!!

Fair play John you have Cahonas. That has been one big undertaking. It looks like a real bitch if you if you gotta get the lump out. still happy to do one for me once you got all the problems sorted ;)

Or do you think i'm better sticking to the Chevy LS7 :slap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thats an interesting angle its at, what are you having for intercoolers? side or front mounts

5 Ltr high compression high reving lump pushing 120BHP per Ltr. No lag and tree pulling torque from low revs. No turbos required.

I think this car is going to be a mental handfull of smiles per hour.

Cheers for the comments!

Spring - hopefully if only I can get enough hours off work to actually look at it again!

Maaark, the chevy will be cheaper, that's a guarantee just seems like a bit of a dinosaur but you can't argue with the power/£ you get from them.

Rad mounted at that angle for 2 reasons really:

1) you can get a bigger core in. It's a pace 3 row with opened up foils for angled mounting. Core is much bigger than a koyo and far more efficient. Being angled also helps with efficiency as the air stream hits the long face of the tubes too, not just the edge.

2) If you mount it straight up then there was nowhere for the air to go, it was far too close to the engine. Will vent the bonnet above the gap now then duct it so there is a good flow path.

Also going to re-locate the oil cooler to below the nose panel and make that into a sealed area so all the air through the (vented) panel will be forced through it. Will then have a seperator below it to stop the air going through from impinging on the flow from the back of the rad and interrupting it.

I'm guessing cooling should be OK as lots of people with big turbo builds seem to use Koyo rad with no problem.

Very interested to see how that rad performs John. My koyo doesnt seem to be very good at all on mine. when going fast it gets very hot, which it shouldn't. I think it's cos the air isn't going thro the rad very well because it can't get out of the engine compartment fast enough. Could be completely wrong tho.

LS7, dinosaur? Wish I'd got one.

Very interested to see how that rad performs John. My koyo doesnt seem to be very good at all on mine. when going fast it gets very hot, which it shouldn't. I think it's cos the air isn't going thro the rad very well because it can't get out of the engine compartment fast enough. Could be completely wrong tho.

LS7, dinosaur? Wish I'd got one.

Might well be, although the koyo core isn't the best really. Might be worth trying venting the bonnet or fitting auxillary rads in the intercooler locations, have that as a standby plan on mine if necessary!

I know it's a good engine, it's just the 2 valve / pushrod thing seems a little quaint now! As I said though, can't argue with the numbers. Guess the yanks stay with that design as they like the sort of lazy delivery of those engines.

Might be worth trying venting the bonnet...have that as a standby plan on mine if necessary!

The angle grinder and fibreglass are on stand by if we need 'em mate....er....that is if I ever get your custom carbon dial fascia finished.... :slap: for me...:D ;)

• 1 month later...
Cheers for the comments!

Spring - hopefully if only I can get enough hours off work to actually look at it again!

Maaark, the chevy will be cheaper, that's a guarantee just seems like a bit of a dinosaur but you can't argue with the power/£ you get from them.

Rad mounted at that angle for 2 reasons really:

1) you can get a bigger core in. It's a pace 3 row with opened up foils for angled mounting. Core is much bigger than a koyo and far more efficient. Being angled also helps with efficiency as the air stream hits the long face of the tubes too, not just the edge.

2) If you mount it straight up then there was nowhere for the air to go, it was far too close to the engine. Will vent the bonnet above the gap now then duct it so there is a good flow path.

I'm guessing cooling should be OK as lots of people with big turbo builds seem to use Koyo rad with no problem.

John. Am still thinking about doing this rad mod to mine while it's in bits.

Is the rad a standard Pace item or did you have it made to your spec?

I'm guessing looking at the angle of the pipes that it was a special.

when you say bigger than the Koyo do you mean thicker or taller or both?

Cheers.

John. Am still thinking about doing this rad mod to mine while it's in bits.

Is the rad a standard Pace item or did you have it made to your spec?

I'm guessing looking at the angle of the pipes that it was a special.

when you say bigger than the Koyo do you mean thicker or taller or both?

Cheers.

It was a custom made core by pace then I had the end tanks made and welded by someone else. I think it's both thicker and taller, can get the measurements easily enough for you. It's certainly higher efficiency too.

Ivan - It was pretty quick but not crazy - 370rwhp, it just handled well and I wasn't scared of it I think!