HELP GUYS! Possibly going from 200SX S14a to 300ZX!

Hello guys, this is my first post and hoping for a little help on the world of 300ZX's! :D

Love the look of them, but i think id like to go for a '96 or '97 model for piece of mind/gadgets...can anyone tell me the difference in equipment between '90 and '96??

Also, id like to know a little about their performance! How quick are they realisticly? I drive a stage 1 (soon to be stage 2) 200sx, how would they compare? Plus how cheap are Zed's to tune from stock to get some pretty decent power?

Finally...the dreaded MPG question! Just how bad are they!? lol. i KNOW you dont buy this kind of car for mpg, but would be nice to know what im in for!

Thanks for any help guys, and lets hope you can pursuade me to become a member of the community!!! :wack:

P.S - sorry for the long post! Oh, and have a Guinness! :duffer:

they are about 300bhp standard and for under a grand you can get very close to 400bhp but don't expect 40mpg. difference from 90- 96 is trim really and seat belts are in the car instead of the doors which is alot better IMO. The biggest difference from 200sx too 300zx is the size and power delivery and top speed is over 170mph so be careful !

Thanks for the weclome and the help so far! :D

i know you lot probably HATE questions like this, but how do they compare realisticly to TT Supras? Straight line speed wise?

Do these have 5 or 6 gears?

I used to get about 80 miles from 20 quid with mostly very reserved driving.

Does anyone know their real world 0-60 and 0-100 times in standard form?

Also, what gets them to 400bhp? filter, turbo back exhaust, upped boost, chip and

fuel pump?

Also, anyone got any ideas on the best sounding exhausts, as i understand these things have a pretty mean soundtrack?!

Later models lost the Variable Valve timing so were unofficially slower (due to jap emissions laws, doubt you'd notice much compared to an old one mind).

Ps - If you do consider an older ( 93 ) one and are looking to get rid of a 200 let me know because I am looking to swap the Zed for either something that will tow or a drifty car.

got any pics of yours mate?!

Fact is, i cant get anything slower than a supra as my mate has just got one! Or a bloody scoob for that matter! Anyone any ideas on how they compare?!

Is there any guide to what needs to be done for 400bhp?!

Thanks for the weclome and the help so far! :D

i know you lot probably HATE questions like this, but how do they compare realisticly to TT Supras? Straight line speed wise?

Do these have 5 or 6 gears?

I used to get about 80 miles from 20 quid with mostly very reserved driving.

Does anyone know their real world 0-60 and 0-100 times in standard form?

Also, what gets them to 400bhp? filter, turbo back exhaust, upped boost, chip and

fuel pump?

Also, anyone got any ideas on the best sounding exhausts, as i understand these things have a pretty mean soundtrack?!

Hi Mate,

Very similar to a TT supra

5 speed. Standard TT 0-60mph is about 5.5 secs and 0-100 is about 14 secs. Exhaust, flter, chip, 1 bar boost will see a 0-60 in under 5 secs and a 0-100 in under 12 secs.

No need to change fuel pump, its got a 255lph pump as standard.

mpg is usually low 20's, will drop to low teens when playing but can be as high as high 20's// low 30's on motorway.

Power delivery is differnent to a SX. The zed less lag, more torque and a better power spread...and much longer legs.

93/94 is probably the best spec for the money. It has the better interior material , seatbelts on pillars, electronic hicas..etc In later years 96 on you lost VVT and Nissan started scimping on costs you get thnner carpets, less insulation and many dont have electric seats or Digital climate, where it was previously standard spec.

thanks legrath you have been a big help!

Royal, that makes me more interested in yours! Can you send me some pics/ spec please?

I have a Emerald Green, 1999, V reg, S14a with stage 1 mods (minus chip) 9.5j deep dish alloys all round (my keep these depending on the spec of yours!) with very good condish cream leather interior.

I have also sound deadened the rear, to compensate for Nissans bloody money saving scheem!

Is VVT rattle a big issue on these cars?!

DSC01268.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

DSC01278.jpg

DSC01279.jpg

DSC01282.jpg

DSC01286.jpg

eeds a clean to

Its not a modded one, I used to have a heavily modded one but sold it and bought my Rex for thrashing. Its a decent standard one and I've been spending money on keeping it that way.

New reconned turbos

New clutch

New stainless steel exhaust

Excellent dealer history with thousands spent. New oem rad, lots more.

All engine bay fuel hoses replaced

Heater matrix just died so currently bypassed. Will be repleced soon or open to offers as is

New rear bushes

New brake pads all round

All tyres new or nearly new

Clear side lights

Apexi (I think) air filter, but also have original air box

Flip up DVD player

Excellent like new interior (apart from drivers seat bolster has a hole)

Are you on the sxoc mate? just trying to find some details of your car

You can contact me on david at dmonaghan dot co dot uk if you want.