Old tw@t on A19 caused accident

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the A1 onto the A19, loads of spray/rain etc. Me, in my volvo, and another driver in new Saab estate. We were doing 75ish, hes in front, just as we come around a shallow

you should be driving to a safe speed in poor weather conditions you have all ready

admitted excessive speeding

I have been watching this thread build and i have to say i agree with Nick.

The fact that you have stated you saw the hazards in the distance but failed to slow down, you also admit you were speeding in adverse weather conditions (we've all done this) if you saw the hazards in the distance and being in the second car would state that the Saab driver had a better view so why did he not slow down, this would then have caused you to adjust your speed also, then the fact that you couldn't avoid the debry would indicate your stopping diststance between you and the Saab was too close.

Bud,

I didnt admit I was speeding. Its is a 70 limit on the A19.

I did adjust my speed and start to steer clear but I cant help it if I ran over debris. And I do agree with nick overall.

If you look at the thread I didnt actually crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ran over what was thrown over the road.

Also nick its highly unlikely her car just plain stopped dead. I presume even if it cut out, clutch engaged and she even applied the brakes she could have easily made in onto the verge...is fairly large area.

As I said, theres no excuses for the saab driver he was in front and had a better view than me, but I still realised something wasnt right so I slowed up and pulled to the right.

I wonder how many of you driving along and being in the same position would do as I did. I saw the hazards and watched them, its only as I got closer that I realised the vehicle was out in the road....very unexpected!!

Then also immediately the saab hit it. The direction I was travelling I cleared the mess easily because I had altered my driving position earlier...lucky I did.

Why the saab driver didnt see I dont know. All I know is that I avoided any collision but unluckily or whatever it is...I ran over something that punctured my tyres. I didnt panick I just slowed the car and stopped.

I agree prepare for the unexpected, which I did, the saab driver didnt and neither did the older woman.

If you werent on the A19 last night please dont bleat on about weather conditions you didnt see!!!

As far as Im concerned the fiesta was in a stupid position in the road and was therefore the contributing element to the accident. I can understand the point that the saab driver. You just dont expect a car to be out in the road like that but that still doesnt excuse him for not paying due care and attention as well. Even I saw the hazards and I was behind the saab!!

she could have, should have, ought to have.......................... its ok for people to preach after the event but ffs it was an accident she probably was in that much shock she did not know what to do.

Sure old uns should have re tests after 60!!

if everyone adhered to the speed limit and stopping distances then there would be less accidents, if those criticising her do adhere to the rules of the road please carry on dictating what others do, until then practice what you preach imho

It must be nice being Judge, Jury & Executioner in your armchairs.

Of course I forgot if I was doing 140 in my zed i'd be a star :xxx:

I read the forums too and see all the comments etc etc when most of you guys speed you think its bloody great cos you've got an old sports car :rolleyes:

FFS its just a post about a woman who was in an accident with a saab, I avoided it....big deal.

Im sure its nowhere near as interesting as to what type of coilover should I fit to my zed cos I lost it on a roundabout and the cars fooked!!!!!

Its just a post about being made aware that sometimes the unexpected happens.

It must be nice being Judge, Jury & Executioner in your armchairs.

Of course I forgot if I was doing 140 in my zed i'd be a star :xxx:

I read the forums too and see all the comments etc etc when most of you guys speed you think its bloody great cos you've got an old sports car :rolleyes:

FFS its just a post about a woman who was in an accident with a saab, I avoided it....big deal.

Im sure its nowhere near as interesting as to what type of coilover should I fit to my zed cos I lost it on a roundabout and the cars fooked!!!!!

Its just a post about being made aware that sometimes the unexpected happens.

its called voicing opinions thats all love, its what makes society colourful!

[quote name=deve8uk

If you see hazards you are suposed to slow down, failing to do so leads to? If you had limited visability and you where doing 70+ then your lucky youo got away with a wrote off car.

QUOTE]

Bud

My car is ok cos I slowed down when I saw the hazards.

Its the saab driver who wrote his car off.

The vis wasnt that bad, I think the prob in situations like that is the disbeleif factor.

You can see whats going on but your mind says...that car shouldnt be there. And in that moment some valuable time is lost.

I dont know about all you perfect drivers out there but it defo took me by suprise and I dealt with it without losing it.

like i said, i didnt want to come across as criticising your driving, and i wasnt there so i dont know the road layout conditions etc, so i was trying to give an point of view that the investigating officer MAY take.

At the end of the day everyones alive, there are bits of driving that sound like could have been improved on, but every one, and i mean EVERYONE makes mistakes in which they could have done something differently, but surely thats whats called being human. As long as we learn from our experiences and adapt what we do for future references, then all is good.

I dont think we should be criticise marc, we've all made errors of judgement in the past, and i have no problem saying ive made some HUUUUGE errors in my life, but like i said be live and learn. Just because he puts a thread up telling us about an experience he's had doesnt mean we should slate him

Anyway, ive said it once, and ill say it again, glad your ok mate.

Nick

I agree with you nick.

I know I wasnt involved in the accident......I just ran over some bits that punctured my tyre.

I just happened to observe an accident from behind.

I cant see how I was the cause of it because I was behind everyone and avoided any collision :mad:

I repeat

I DID NOT CRASH, I WAS BEHIND A CAR THAT CRASHED INTO ANOTHER

As I said I had kept my distance from the saab driver cos of spray etc but to find a car in front of you stationary kinda takes you by suprise. As im sure nick would be able to testify..its in those moments that actual reaction time is lost as the brain tries to work out what to do.....obviously the saab driver was not driving with due care and attention because he hit the other car.

But I was there and to find a car in your way is a shock, i was paying attention to the situation so I didnt hit anyone. But I count myself lucky....Im sure if I was doing 50 it would have been a very close call.....but then I would have had all the tw@ts that like driving up others exhausts behind me.

I repeat - I missed hitting anyone cos I slowed down and moved over ahead of time.

Adverse weather conditions. This is the first indication to any driver that the speed limit of 70 dosen't exsist anymore and a safe speed ie: 50MPH should be observed as a maximum. I am glad you slowed down at the last minute Marc as if you hadnt mate you could be dead now and that would be horrible for everyone left behind. It sounds to me like the Saab driver was overtaking you and in doing so he was taking a big risk that never paid off. It isnt just the fact that the old lady was stationary the fact that anything could have been there. A biker might have come off he's Bike (just as an example) the old lady should never have been there but she was and that just goes to show what can happen at any time on any road. I aint going to lay blame because it seems everyone was at fault the stationary car and the two speeding cars. Lets just say a harsh lesson was learned here and everyone who has read this will have a insight into this fact

"What can go wrong, will go wrong"

be safe everyone............

it seems a lot of people read this and thought mark was in the wrong, i think given the circumstances he reacted well to the situation and came out of the accident quite unscathed

as he said he DIDNT HIT ANYONE, and was NOT THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT

and he also said if it was a chav it would be a different story, it would be like "fookin chav scum should all be burnt at the stake" and it would turn into a chav hating thread

marc has obviousely had a shock and posted this expecting (maybe) a little sympathy and a pat on the back for handling a situation like that

granted he shouldnt have been going as fast as he was, but he did manage to avoid the collision, he done everything correct in my eyes (apart from speeding slightly lol)

give the guy a break, no ones perfect

glad to hear you are ok bud

Exaclty vinni,

What I posted about was that no matter what or how we drive its the unexpected thats catches us out.

I did slow up which helped, the whole incident was a suprise for me tho.

As for speed limit...the problem there lies with the other cars/trucks that came past....as we all know they sit right on your bumper.

I dont know about you lot but i was doing the same speed as most traffic along there. The last thing I wanted was a truck up my pipe....which unfortunately happens everywhere.

Should I have gone slower, maybe.....but not likely with the trucks that were going along there. I drive the A19 regularly and quite a few truckers get real close, so I generally keep pace with the traffic.

I cant beleive any of you would have deliberately gone slower in the situation.....even though you may say you would have.

The fact remains that driving these days is very unpredictable and I just wanted to point out how suddenly these events can happens.

This one was start to finish in a few seconds.......

Im just glad that no one was killed.

I think i just said, "christ hope you get it all sorted soon" come back and it's world war bloody 3 here! :rofl:

they're ganging up on me bud :tongue:

Lucky I have a very quick zed so I can make a fast getaway in the rain (up to the speed limit minus 10 - 30 mph depending on conditions).

Lucky I didnt actually witness 9/11 cos Id get the blame for that too :shock:

Lucky I have a very quick zed so I can make a fast getaway in the rain (up to the speed limit minus 10 - 30 mph depending on conditions).

I saw a blue zed in New York. Was that you?

Glad you are ok Mark and yes its easy to critise, you did do well to come out unscathed, i've known many people to panic under similar situations.

Wasnt that you hanging back a bit in the Cessna then. :shock: :tongue: :cool:

Guest Coopers-SWB

I think you should change the title. In my opinion the accident was caused by the sabb driver not driving within the conditions and his own limits. The car could have been stopped in the outside land because there my have been a que of traffic. I'm sure there was a large que afterwards.

You did well by the sounds of it to avoid hitting another car in what was a difficult incident.

I am glad that you are OK and lets hope that the woman in the car makes a swift recovery.

Just my two pennies worth.

Darrell

I think you should change the title. In my opinion the accident was caused by the sabb driver not driving within the conditions and his own limits. The car could have been stopped in the outside land because there my have been a que of traffic. I'm sure there was a large que afterwards.

You did well by the sounds of it to avoid hitting another car in what was a difficult incident.

I am glad that you are OK and lets hope that the woman in the car makes a swift recovery.

Just my two pennies worth.

Darrell

There was no queues cos me and the saab got our cars well off the road and the fiesta was shunted up the embankment.

The saab driver was not driving badly at all, I think he was taken by suprise more than anything. I admit he could have been more observant of the road and could have avoided the fiesta as Im sure I would have.

With hindsight tho....he was in a position to avoid her...maybe!

If she had genuinely broken down then theres not a lot she could have done either.

Unless you were there you cannot beleive how quickly it all happened

A series of very unfortunate events.

Guest Coopers-SWB

I'm not saying there were any ques but that there could have been. Just a reason why someone would be in the outside lane wth there hazards on.

Darrell

Guest scoops
You do get retested but I think its at 70 or something then every 5 years after? Just ban the bloody coffin dodging oxygen thieves and banish them to the bus so they can all have a good sniff of each others collostemy bags :rofl:

Classic, you not planning on being old mr duff?