Knife edge crank

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its one of the things done to the engine while it was rebuilt.

Had 3.1 bore, pistons, rods and the crank knife edged. Im really sure I would have noticed the knife edges. I did have a good look cause I've never seen one before, just read what its spose to be like.

All done by a previous owner.

Well it depends allso on what amount has been taken off,theres a case for too much causing more larger counter weights neede to be added,material can allso be taken off in other areas of the crank but again theres a relibility issue.When i bought it (some time back now)i had no reason to doubt him,as why bother saying it was done if it was not,would be no gain from him,but then it depends how much was removed when edging it,best thing to do is to get a pic or an old crank off some one to compare,as to the bigger picture of things,knife edging the crank may make it cut through oil better causing slight less drag/windage/oil splash,but,does not mean its as reliable compared to stock crank.To be honest unless i was running huge power and looking for very quick 0-60 its not worth doing,and as by the time you try getting every ounce of power out of it it would prob break sooner or later,defo sooner than stock.

Tony

I might be wrong in this, but arent crank counter weights used to drag and splash oil into the piston bores to lubricate them. So if you knife edge them, you might gain 1-2 H.P., but won't the lack of oil in the piston bores cause premature failure of the piston rings and damage to the bore.

I might be wrong in this, but arent crank counter weights used to drag and splash oil into the piston bores to lubricate them. So if you knife edge them, you might gain 1-2 H.P., but won't the lack of oil in the piston bores cause premature failure of the piston rings and damage to the bore.

the block is fitted with squirters that direct oil to the underside of the pistons and bores ;)

the counter weights are also used to keep the crank/rods/bearings lubricated, aswell as the bores etc

i dont think knife edgeing a crank will gain any HP all it means is it will cut through the oil better and cause less drag

Also did you manage to strip down the oil pump to find out what was causing the noise??

I have stripped two down this week too only to notice just like Greg said that the alloy back plate seems to wear alot even on low mileage pumps!

It looks like they are able to pick up any dirt from the sump as they only have a strainer to block large deposits but not fine material from damaging the pump!

The Pump then sends oil through the Oil filter!:(

It maybe a good idea to do an engine oil flush every now and then to make sure all the crap is removed from the Engine and Sump.