300ZX TT - A18GCK

On 19/09/2023 at 20:45, Raja93 said:

That stock reliability is exactly why I said not to modify it! Thankfully I’m now at that stage that it just always works - hurrah! I’d look at doing injectors, series 2 PTU and maybe a new fuel pump, purely for reliability reasons. Nothing else needed on yours. 

UK spec wheels will be the icing on the cake, will fill out those rear arches nicely. Your interiors in much better condition than mine so I’d leave well alone for a good couple years at least. 

Its starting to show age. The dash is starting to lift by the windscreen vents, although @AndrewG told me about a trick involving tennis balls and glue. The quarter panels by the rear bench seats is starting to peel so will need re-glueing and on the A pillar trim and door cards im starting to get bubbles where the glue has failed behind. 

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

11 hours ago, TheRealNips said:

Its starting to show age. The dash is starting to lift by the windscreen vents, although @AndrewG told me about a trick involving tennis balls and glue. The quarter panels by the rear bench seats is starting to peel so will need re-glueing and on the A pillar trim and door cards im starting to get bubbles where the glue has failed behind. 

Ah yes I’ve got that problem and Andrew explained to me this same process 2 years ago but still not done it! My rear quarter panel has shrunk and given way mostly, drivers door card bubbles, b pillar major bubbling, targa handle surrounding vinyl all crumpled/shrunk, drivers seat big rips, bolster wear, gaiters nackered, list goes on…   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Z has been parked up since late October when we had constant torrential downpours. The usual winter hibernation prep ensued and checking in here and there to make sure all ok. Was very busy last year, moving home etc but still managed to do 4K miles which was brilliant fun. Will do much more this year now I’ve got less things eating up my time. 

Picked up a replacement fuse box cover for the engine bay - the old one was all scraped to bits. Fitted an AMS brake stopper which has been on the list for years! When I did the engine bay tinware powdercoating last year, I couldn’t do the cruise control end cap, which has bugged me since so sourced a beautifully made Z-Spec cover in black. 

Got the retrim booked in for end of the driving season this year (end of Oct 2024), so will be getting done whilst the car would be off the road anyway, so not losing any dry weather driving time 😃.

Need to get the sound system replaced as mine is abysmal (only one side speakers work). Going to order a Z spec double din fascia soon then work out what to do with the speakers. Would also like to do the reverse camera in the boot key hole that Vig did. Last thing to do is replace the ancient alarm system. 

D7005645-B4D1-421A-B8A0-DB5B85CC3631.jpeg

98ACC810-5822-464A-9E89-EAA7940F1A74.jpeg

7B93F74E-F057-44E3-8A5C-F9D5AA695A91.jpeg

D7C5A2A9-FCCB-462C-8976-C2107A97EB47.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Found a black SFS Performance engine bay hoses set to replace the blue ones currently fitted. Just need to get around to ordering. I believe they’re the only properly lined hoses that don’t seep. Heard the Z1 hoses aren’t properly lined, from a couple of forum posts on here over the years, otherwise would have just got their set. 

Jimmer gifted me a harness bracket for the left of the plenum - will get this powdercoated in black and fit. Final thing in engine bay to complete the tidying up will be to paint the power steering reservoir as it’s started to corrode and pit - nasty looking! 

C1D4517E-74A1-4F12-B7E0-A981E95D5693.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

As we near the end of winter hibernation for sir Zed, I got my act together and started sourcing some more parts on the wish list. Inspired by Richards find of the new OEM windscreen washer pumps from Amayama, I started searching and found them in stock and at really reasonable prices (around £25 each). Whilst I was there, I noticed various other washer components which tend to get clogged up over time like the nozzles, check valves and hose clips were dirt cheap. I wasn't going to buy them until I saw Z1/CZP were charging around $30 for the check valves compared to £2.77 at Amayama! I thought whilst they're still available and since my washers are shocking and the rear nozzle clips are broken, may as well overhaul the system.

thumbnail_image1.jpeg.361fbf045a4f4bf4c778ff2e585f29d8.jpegthumbnail_image0.jpeg.cf5827f3243b36e622048a4601b1c512.jpeg

Whilst I was at Amayama's website, I sourced the coolant overflow cap and windscreen wash cap which have been on my wish list for a while, as they're both aged, stained and brittle on my car.

Next up was to source a used power steering reservoir from Banzai Breakers and take to the powder coaters for the gloss black treatment, to suit my engine bays theme. I also took for powder coating the harness bracket for the left of the plenum which Jimmer kindly gifted me. That will sort out the loose hanging harness in that part of the bay. They didn't mask the reservoir very well so I found tonnes of sand blasting media inside, which was an absolute ball ache to clean out. 3 cans of break cleaners and tonnes of water later, I think it's now fully free of sand inside! Looks stunning though so worth it, especially as my current reservoir has gotten rusty all over.  

thumbnail_image5.jpeg.14cdee16b085b495729c07271707cb3d.jpegthumbnail_image4.jpeg.b2998a2cea1d711e71fd71a330b2041b.jpeg

Edited by Raja93
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

As per previous posts, the major plan for this year is to get the retrim completed during winter hibernation, and before that to replace the sound system and alarm. I was impressed with the Cerwin Vega spare wheel subwoofer that Vig got for his Z, since it fits inside the spare wheel well, takes up zero boot space and requires no timber housing - the best solution I've seen for a Z. I got ahold of a Z Spec double din bezel in preparation for the new head unit I'll be fitting. Again inspired by Vig's install, I'm currently looking at the Atoto head unit which seems to be a well rated android system with the ability to download the RealDash app - this app can connect to my Link ECU to display all the engine data. This is my loophole to avoid having to install tonnes of expensive gauges on the A pillar and getting rid of my current boost gauge on the A pillar. 

thumbnail_image1.jpeg.2c9231ab078d63e7decc82147cf1811c.jpeg

thumbnail_image0.jpeg.55c1df2e69e1acca75dd9eaeca653efd.jpeg

I've been discussing the install with a brilliant local shop and have now agreed all the speaker and amp specs. The ancient alarm system on its last legs will also be replaced for a modern one at the same time. Looking to complete over a week in May. For the first time for the Z, I'm using a place 10 minutes down the road, rather than hours from home! which is a nice touch. After 4 years of ownership, I will finally have all 4 speakers working and a head unit I can connect my phone too! I don't need the music so much when I'm travelling with my other half, but very nice to have when using it for work site meeting travel and the early morning blasts I do on every dry weekend. The google maps on the head unit will mean I don't have to have a Halfords air vent phone holder which I'm very much looking forward to (mostly because it would occasionally slide out when going fast!).

I had asked @AndrewG to make up some of his beautifully crafted tweeter housings for the door sails but due to the lack of time from now until install, I will try and take a stab at it myself. If I fail, I shall be in touch again Andrew! 

Edited by Raja93
  • Like 1

I'm going to fit those engine bay bits this weekend, get the battery charged up and get the car back out on the road hopefully. In the next few weeks, I'll be heading down to Jimmer for an oil change, brake fluid flush as its hit the 2 year interval I always stick to, fitting the power steering reservoir, raising the front suspension a little as it rubs on the arches on bumpy roads and at speed, fit the washer pumps and refitting of my AC pump; as unfortunately the pump leaked soon after install, so Jimmer had them replace it under warranty I believe. I will finally have a fully functional AC system 😃.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Raja93 said:

As per previous posts, the major plan for this year is to get the retrim completed during winter hibernation, and before that to replace the sound system and alarm. I was impressed with the Cerwin Vega spare wheel subwoofer that Vig got for his Z, since it fits inside the spare wheel well, takes up zero boot space and requires no timber housing - the best solution I've seen for a Z. I got ahold of a Z Spec double din bezel in preparation for the new head unit I'll be fitting. Again inspired by Vig's install, I'm currently looking at the Atoto head unit which seems to be a well rated android system with the ability to download the RealDash app - this app can connect to my Link ECU to display all the engine data. This is my loophole to avoid having to install tonnes of expensive gauges on the A pillar and getting rid of my current boost gauge on the A pillar. 

thumbnail_image1.jpeg.2c9231ab078d63e7decc82147cf1811c.jpegthumbnail_image0.jpeg.55c1df2e69e1acca75dd9eaeca653efd.jpeg

I've been discussing the install with a brilliant local shop and have now agreed all the speaker and amp specs. The ancient alarm system on its last legs will also be replaced for a modern one at the same time. Looking to complete over a week in May. For the first time for the Z, I'm using a place 10 minutes down the road, rather than hours from home! which is a nice touch. After 4 years of ownership, I will finally have all 4 speakers working and a head unit I can connect my phone too! I don't need the music so much when I'm travelling with my other half, but very nice to have when using it for work site meeting travel and the early morning blasts I do on every dry weekend. The google maps on the head unit will mean I don't have to have a Halfords air vent phone holder which I'm very much looking forward to (mostly because it would occasionally slide out when going fast!).

I had asked @AndrewG to make up some of his beautifully crafted tweeter housings for the door sails but due to the lack of time from now until install, I will try and take a stab at it myself. If I fail, I shall be in touch again Andrew! 

I've asked @AndrewG the same so I shall be very interested if he starts to offer this service!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Ride

8 hours ago, sumshiftyguy said:

I've asked @AndrewG the same so I shall be very interested if he starts to offer this service!!

He’d get a tonne of orders! I did actually come across a 3D printed housing on FB, but it’s not well shaped and looks very much stuck on, whereas Andrews looks perfectly moulded and OEM. Will send you the link so you see what I mean. 

2 hours ago, Raja93 said:

He’d get a tonne of orders! I did actually come across a 3D printed housing on FB, but it’s not well shaped and looks very much stuck on, whereas Andrews looks perfectly moulded and OEM. Will send you the link so you see what I mean. 

I saw the same one and decided to make me own as well! Haven't gotten around to it yet though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Ride