bobgenie rebuild

Looking good, hopefully I'll finally make totb next year, would like to see this run in person, maybe even line up alongside ( I know I'd lose but would like to see how close i could get)

I've not had issues off the line, my zed flies through first, but normally end up pedaling into second as it has a habit of getting out of shape.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan the z32 doesn't have a light rear end. The weight distribution is near perfect on 2+2s and slightly a few % heavier on 2+0s. The reason for poor off the line traction relates back to a large amount of anti squat built into the rear subframe assembly and the oil filled bushes it floats on. Plenty of info on Google.

Sorry to spam your thread Bob.

I notice you said to Ali you have the NA rear end, do mean an actual NA rear end or NA ratio, r200 diff and axels or an r230 with leader gears?

Was a lazy answer to be fair. Yes got Richmond gears n/a ratios and with a Quaife LSD :)

Looking good, hopefully I'll finally make totb next year, would like to see this run in person, maybe even line up alongside ( I know I'd lose but would like to see how close i could get)

I've not had issues off the line, my zed flies through first, but normally end up pedaling into second as it has a habit of getting out of shape.

I will definitely be there in the zed next year :) I'm there in the Evo this year but it won't be the same.

Guest dan300zx
Unfortunately the zed will not be ready for TOTB. As this deadline can't be met I am going to give my wallet a rest for a little and let it recuperate. In the meantime here are a couple of pix and I think they show we are going to the next level. I think it will be worth the wait. I will pop a couple of engine shots later when I get it off the trailer.

i see you have r888 on there how you finding them when cold is the grip bad say worse that a regular tyre or better when cold?. and how hard iis it to heat them up. how do you feel they would be as a road tyre well say a weekend only road tyre that is ?

i see you have r888 on there how you finding them when cold is the grip bad say worse that a regular tyre or better when cold?. and how hard iis it to heat them up. how do you feel they would be as a road tyre well say a weekend only road tyre that is ?

They are OK as a road I have used them a lot. Not very good cold or wet but manageable. A better tyre these days is the Trofeo a brilliant track tyre also good in the wet. Don't know how good in normal road conditions but likely to be pretty good. I'm going to try both at totb on the Evo will let you know which is better

Guest dan300zx
They are OK as a road I have used them a lot. Not very good cold or wet but manageable. A better tyre these days is the Trofeo a brilliant track tyre also good in the wet. Don't know how good in normal road conditions but likely to be pretty good. I'm going to try both at totb on the Evo will let you know which is better

what would you say was the best street tyre on sale to day for zs in and around 600bhp mark.i was looking a r888 but like you say when cold thats part puts me off the car is only going to be uses for a weekend blast at the odd blast here and there not used every day

what would you say was the best street tyre on sale to day for zs in and around 600bhp mark.i was looking a r888 but like you say when cold thats part puts me off the car is only going to be uses for a weekend blast at the odd blast here and there not used every day

Dunno don't really use street tyres. The R888 are fine that's what I been using for about 5 years without any problems. The Trofeo is better in the wet definitely.

Guest dan300zx
Dunno don't really use street tyres. The R888 are fine that's what I been using for about 5 years without any problems. The Trofeo is better in the wet definitely.

i know the r888 work better when up to temp, but what am trying to work out is if you had say a mitchlin ps2 and r888 from cold would the r888 be less sticky then the ps2 when both cold, or even cold would the r888 out perform the ps2 of the likes, if you get me had a look round but cant get the info

i know the r888 work better when up to temp, but what am trying to work out is if you had say a mitchlin ps2 and r888 from cold would the r888 be less sticky then the ps2 when both cold, or even cold would the r888 out perform the ps2 of the likes, if you get me had a look round but cant get the info

The PS2 is a good tyre and would be far superior cold or wet however are not as good for outright grip when up to higher temperature. In fact I have delaminated PS2 on track a few years ago (too much tread) but it did grip pretty well. All tyres work best when they are in their optimum operating range. The R888 is made to work better and not fail at higher temps like after a few laps of the track. The PS2 is a compromise for all round use. So unless you use the car mainly for track or if you only have the odd fast blast on a warm day then the PS2 is the better choice.

Guest dan300zx
The PS2 is a good tyre and would be far superior cold or wet however are not as good for outright grip when up to higher temperature. In fact I have delaminated PS2 on track a few years ago (too much tread) but it did grip pretty well. All tyres work best when they are in their optimum operating range. The R888 is made to work better and not fail at higher temps like after a few laps of the track. The PS2 is a compromise for all round use. So unless you use the car mainly for track or if you only have the odd fast blast on a warm day then the PS2 is the better choice.

that makes sense also been looking at the mitch super sport a p zero to oem fitting on some lambos and 911

• 1 month later...
Starting to look to good to race Bob :thumbup:

Some testing first Gaz and if the dry sump works OK we put the new engine in :)

How much extra power from the NOZ Bob?

Up to 300BHP with what we have installed but I have only used 200 so far and that with the engine on it's way out so was useful. For the new engine I am expecting around 750rwhp without the NOS so will use the NOS mostly for anti-lag and drag racing. We have progressive control so it's pretty flexible.

You really must let me sit in for a blast down the track at TOTB bob

No problem Ian as long as it's a Saturday - next year no compromise on the Sunday if the car is right we will be going for it :)

750rwhp + 200 nitrous? wow, glad to hear your aiming for totb next year, aiming to take mine too, well below your level though :( would like to see it run, what the new engine fitted with to get that sort of power?

I do TOTB every year it's just this one was with the Evo not the zed :)

Power wise we have been anywhere between 725 and 450 at the hubs over the past four years. I have had the new engine built by TDI South to sustain 1000bhp and with the extra work to the heads am expecting 750 rwhp easily enough. Whether all that power is necessary is another matter. All I care about is performance and reliability so there will be a balancing act which will only become clearer during testing.

But on the other hand how am I going to beat 1700bhp GTR's and high power Evo's or Scoobies at TOTB with only 750rwhp? Maybe I will have to up the NOS to 350 shot and cross my fingers!

We will find out in July next year I guess lol

Guest dan300zx
I do TOTB every year it's just this one was with the Evo not the zed :)

Power wise we have been anywhere between 725 and 450 at the hubs over the past four years. I have had the new engine built by TDI South to sustain 1000bhp and with the extra work to the heads am expecting 750 rwhp easily enough. Whether all that power is necessary is another matter. All I care about is performance and reliability so there will be a balancing act which will only become clearer during testing.

But on the other hand how am I going to beat 1700bhp GTR's and high power Evo's or Scoobies at TOTB with only 750rwhp? Maybe I will have to up the NOS to 350 shot and cross my fingers!

We will find out in July next year I guess lol

how are you pulling all the power down with out just spinning up

how are you pulling all the power down with out just spinning up

Its a combination of Hoosier Drag tyres and Driver Skills.

Bob has honed his launch skills progresssively on the quarter mile over several years with many many runs.

His 10.9 run at Santa Pod is without doubt the fastest recorded 1/4 mile by a 300ZX in the UK.

Nobody else is even close.

Its a true skill that needs to be learned by practise and analysis. Many normal road going drivers never get it.