Veilside's work in progress

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after careful consideration and weighing up of financial burdens..... She is being laid up again for the foreseeable future....

I am now looking to refurbish the 2 auto boxes over the winter as the kit is about $299 plus tax and delivery..... and I am off to the US next year for family holiday and goodies buying spree..... lol

• 7 months later...

I am now inspired to rebuild her again....... suspension, brakes, all undercarriage is coming off and being media blasted, treated for surface rust, checked and powder coated or painted.....

I am going to soda blast the rear diff to remove the rust and corrosion.....

I now have a media blaster, workshop, Bilthammer rust treatment, new drop links, new brake pads, Caliper paint and am ordering new brake lines now.

I just need to get new discs all round, top shock mounts, handbrake shoes and bushes....

I am also going to weld up the spoiler holes and rear wiper hole....... replace N/S front wing and fit side skirts I got from Dan........

Then time to change colour............

Oh and rebuild an automatic transmission in my spare time.........

Going to be busy for some time to come.............. lol

I am now inspired to rebuild her again....... suspension, brakes, all undercarriage is coming off and being media blasted, treated for surface rust, checked and powder coated or painted.....

Is media blasting effective to get rid of rust? I have some rust through bubbled paint on my tailgate and was wondering mediablasting vs cutting and welding.

I watched a load of stuff on youtube about using soda as a media and it looks like it is a good option that removes corrosion and does no damage to the metal.....

This shows how it works.....

and then this one on bodywork......

http://www.powernationtv.com/two-minute-tech/2min-159/blast-rust-with-baking-soda

Going to give it a go..........

It won't replace rusted metal..... but it will clean up and show what I am dealing with better than sanding or grinding as it does no damage to the item your stripping back......

Edited by veilside01702

• 2 weeks later...

well I now have the full media blasting setup to try various media, soda, glass bead, aluminium oxide, garnet and a nice rust treatment for after.........

1kg tub deox-C from Bilthammer...... I've had some amazing results from this stuff on a few parts..... so going to strip the suspension and soak the bare parts to start, then some Electrox to coat it all, finally paint coat....

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/deox-c

And best of all they are local to me......

Oh and I bought an easibleed kit, a set of speed bleed nipples for the callipers, calliper paint, and some goodridge brake lines....

Just trying to decide what pads and discs to get now...... I want some nice grooved and dimpled discs, rear handbrake shoes and pads...... suggestions???

All I need now is the enthusiasm to jack her up and remove all the necessary suspension and brakes for refurb.........

• 1 month later...

Right...... where to start..... I bought one of these to strip my suspension back to bare metal and remove all surface rust......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120593509558?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I tried a clarke gun type blaster with soda crystals and found it useless for soda......

Tomorrow I am trying some Garnet on a piece of old metal to test before moving to the suspension pieces....

After the blasting I shall be soaking the parts in Deox-C to remove the rust that remains, before sealing the cleaned bare metal ready for paint or powder coating.....

I shall get some pictures tomorrow.....

Right...... where to start..... I bought one of these to strip my suspension back to bare metal and remove all surface rust......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120593509558?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I tried a clarke gun type blaster with soda crystals and found it useless for soda......

Tomorrow I am trying some Garnet on a piece of old metal to test before moving to the suspension pieces....

After the blasting I shall be soaking the parts in Deox-C to remove the rust that remains, before sealing the cleaned bare metal ready for paint or powder coating.....

I shall get some pictures tomorrow.....

The biggest problem with DIY blasting is having a powerful enough compressor.

a 200L tank and around 20 to 25 cfm is where you need to be in my experience.

The biggest problem with DIY blasting is having a powerful enough compressor.

a 200L tank and around 20 to 25 cfm is where you need to be in my experience.

Yes at the very least pete...look at a blaster as a 100% total loss system and unless the pump keeps up demand OR you have a very very large tank then when its empty take a break:wink: plus you need an air fed mask for using sand as its like putting glass into your lungs. Iff its a one off part then give it to a blasting company or take it to a powder coaters and ask just for the cleaning service..its cheaper than buying a load of Chinese tat and struggling.

Yes at the very least pete...look at a blaster as a 100% total loss system and unless the pump keeps up demand OR you have a very very large tank then when its empty take a break:wink: plus you need an air fed mask for using sand as its like putting glass into your lungs. Iff its a one off part then give it to a blasting company or take it to a powder coaters and ask just for the cleaning service..its cheaper than buying a load of Chinese tat and struggling.

Exactly what i do..:yes:

Hi Pete and Znut..... thanks for the input...... I will check my compressor cfm.....

I have an ulterior motive with learning to media blast as I need to strip loads of guttering at the school I run. The metal guttering has been painted over for years and is flaking off everywhere.

We had a quote of £16000 to do it, so I was trying to see how hard it is for my site team to do it instead. If it is viable I shall purchase or hire a full setup for use at work during summer holiday......:whistling:

I just need to work out what media, how much, equipment, etc.....

I was looking at dustless setup to hire. The school is an old metal clad building (prefab) and has entire exterior to do really..... but no budget nowadays.....

So trying to be creative in what work we can do ourselves....

2 birds one stone type of thing.... school saves money and I get to use equipment for some DIY bits after work....

Edited by veilside01702

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1520.jpg

Stripped the N/S front leg and was left with bare metal part..... It made a lot of mess outside my workshop, so need to build a cabinet to reuse the media so it drops into a container.

Next it was treated with some Deox-C rust killer and wire brushed with small brass brus, finally washed off with clean water and dried.

Next part was to zinc primer it to stop any rust coming back and now painted with satin black to look like this.....

IMG_1524.jpg

Not 100% happy with the finish...... so might be stripping paint off again and rubbing down to get a smoother finish......

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

• 1 month later...

Also received the parts I have been waiting for from CZP.... just too late to fit them before the MOT or Beaulieu......

IMG_1593.jpg

New front and rear shock absorber boots and bump stops, brake calliper pins, suspension nuts + Eccentric bolts and washers

Thanks to Stephen sending me his spare Eccentric bolt I managed to clean that up and use my old washer..... So shall be sending it back all clean to him for a spare when I fit these new ones....:thumbup: