What did you do to your zed today?

My original radiator finally gave up the ghost last week and has started leaking. Only small though and it appears to be leaking from one of the end tanks.

Decided on an original replacement as the stock radiators are fairly good and wanted to keep all the bracketry etc. OE originals are around £400 but I did a bit of research and found out that Koyo do OE replacement radiators and I believe Mishimoto do too. We all know that Koyo are decent quality so bought one just to see what it was like.

After having a good look around it and counting out the core numbers, I was very impressed. End tank castings are high quality and so is the core. All the fixings and mount points are 100% identical.

I'm not one for pattern parts, I'd rather buy original, but this is made by a high quality manufacturer to a great standard and thought I'd get one just to see what it looked like. Very impressed.

Nice! I bought the Mishimoto (in 2016, I think).... Yours looks a more OEM fitment though; as the Mishi is definitely a chunkier upgrade. Plus, I searched everywhere for a Nissan OEM - but the UK spec auto version is no longer made. It wasn't worth buying a pattern J-spec auto rad, as I'd have lost the better auto-box oil cooling facility. I ended up installing a Mishimoto 'box cooler too - another expense, but probably worth it:wink:

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

I am happy with the workmanship as the company I am using do work on all manor of classic cars and I had to wait four weeks for an appointment.

I had a guy lined up to do my respray 18 months ago (used him before several times) but i was recommended a classic car restorer which sounded good and a man i thought would care and be tremendously thorough, and to be polite and brief he was a joke, don't know why i ever paid him, car has been in my garage ever since, back waiting for my first guy, who i embarrassedly deserted and this time to do a proper job.

Read of that what you will :sad:.

I had a guy lined up to do my respray 18 months ago (used him before several times) but i was recommended a classic car restorer which sounded good and a man i thought would care and be tremendously thorough, and to be polite and brief he was a joke, don't know why i ever paid him, car has been in my garage ever since, back waiting for my first guy, who i embarrassedly deserted and this time to do a proper job.

Read of that what you will :sad:.

Unfortunately there are many "classic car restoration" people about that are just time wasters and happily quote big bucks to do a very poor job.

Its hard enough to find decent bodyshops for modern cars let alone classic ones.

It takes time and skill to do a proper job like cutting out all the corroded metal and fabricating new panels to weld in.

Then you have the job of painting and protecting the work after which is not easy to do correctly.

Poorly tack welding bits of scrap metal over a rotten piece of metal is just pointless whatever it costs.

If and when you find a bodywork company that does a proper job stick with them whatever the cost.

If funds are tight just wait and save the money to do it right so it lasts and yields many years of satisfaction, dont just blow it over because it was a cheap quote and be back facing the same problems in short time.

Unfortunately there are many "classic car restoration" people about that are just time wasters and happily quote big bucks to do a very poor job.

Its hard enough to find decent bodyshops for modern cars let alone classic ones.

It takes time and skill to do a proper job like cutting out all the corroded metal and fabricating new panels to weld in.

Then you have the job of painting and protecting the work after which is not easy to do correctly.

Poorly tack welding bits of scrap metal over a rotten piece of metal is just pointless whatever it costs.

If and when you find a bodywork company that does a proper job stick with them whatever the cost.

If funds are tight just wait and save the money to do it right so it lasts and yields many years of satisfaction, dont just blow it over because it was a cheap quote and be back facing the same problems in short time.

Wise words there Chris.....:thumbup:

You must see your fair share of "sticking-plaster" jobs, being in the trade - especially at MOT time....!!

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Been working all day yesterday and today on the Zs.

The shorties snapped boot release/fuel flap cable replaced (took about 4 hours what a pita) with a lwb one, it doesn't really fit (rear is too short between flap and boot latch) but I made it fit because I had no other choice.

All shorties interior correctly put back together, and all boot plastics back in.

Whole interior of breaker is now removed and brakes/exhaust/suspension leaving only the drivetrain left.

Odd wiring jobs on Dad's car, wiring in the 3rd brake light as the loom for the 89 spoiler is not long enough for the perspex strip, waiting in the tail lights and lighting up 300zx.

Tapped a hole for the water temp sensor on the upper water pipe.

Still lots to do, power steering pump on my impul, replace tie rod boot, install the oil and water sensors.

So shortie is now 90% done and practically roadworthy.

Edited by Alic

Got an update from the garage on the welding progress! good news its going well and on schedule. Rust free very soon!!! OEM UK wheels fully restored and awaiting new rubber. Just want to get the correct size and want to try and get factory tyres! or as close as I can! hope the MOT went well!

Hiya I'm new to this forum, only got my 300zx tt convertible yesterday, so what did my zed do? Lol got drenched coz of the dodgy roof! Which brings me on to my next point, I'm based in Blackburn, anyone direct me towards a new roof? Or someone who can install one? Lol need to have it fixed ASAP! Only had her a day haha also not sure I'm posting in the right place?

IMG_20180403_200835.jpg

IMG_20180403_195739.jpg

Hiya I'm new to this forum, only got my 300zx tt convertible yesterday, so what did my zed do? Lol got drenched coz of the dodgy roof! Which brings me on to my next point, I'm based in Blackburn, anyone direct me towards a new roof? Or someone who can install one? Lol need to have it fixed ASAP! Only had her a day haha also not sure I'm posting in the right place?

IMG_20180403_200835.jpg

IMG_20180403_195739.jpg

Convertible roof would be pretty rare. They're probably not available new - your best bet would be the US for a used one. This place seems to make reproduction soft-tops, at a reasonable enough price.

Just to be clear, you mean an actual convertible as opposed to t-tops?

Just to be clear, you mean an actual convertible as opposed to t-tops?

There was a Turbo vert on ebay, local to us in the North West, safe for me to assume he has that one, welcome anyway - tis the wrong place....hint hint could just do with someone moving you to your own thread especially if you subscribe :biggrin:.

IMG_20180403_200835.jpg

IMG_20180403_195739.jpg

Welcome to the club Ali and nice convertible plus a turbe one at that.

One of our members "Sudesh" bought a new roof for his convertible a few years ago and it was from America but cant find any links except this one.

https://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?164096-For-the-convertible-owners-oem-jdm-hood-operation-instructions

Welcome to the club Ali and nice convertible plus a turbe one at that.

One of our members "Sudesh" bought a new roof for his convertible a few years ago and it was from America but cant find any links except this one.

https://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?164096-For-the-convertible-owners-oem-jdm-hood-operation-instructions

Hiya everyone. Thanks for the replies, and yes it is the one from ebay, I have managed to source a roof just trying to source someone local to fit it. Rang few places waiting on one place in Cheshire, not having any luck so far... And yes it's a turbo, gone straight in to the garage to be looked at.... :)

Hiya I'm new to this forum, only got my 300zx tt convertible yesterday, so what did my zed do? Lol got drenched coz of the dodgy roof! Which brings me on to my next point, I'm based in Blackburn, anyone direct me towards a new roof? Or someone who can install one? Lol need to have it fixed ASAP!

Welcome to the Club! Where is the canvas roof leaking?

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

IMG_20180403_200835.jpg

IMG_20180403_195739.jpg

new roof will cost £444 from a company in England.. if your roof is leaking near the windows and running into the cab then it's new rubbers and you get them from CZP in the states, in total you will be close to a 1k to fix.

new roof will cost £444 from a company in England.. if your roof is leaking near the windows and running into the cab then it's new rubbers and you get them from CZP in the states, in total you will be close to a 1k to fix.

Yeah that's the company I've spoke to, going to go see someone local Tommorow so he can give me thr go ahead and order the roof... Oh damn! The water is coming from passenger side window... Hmmm :sweatdrop:

The water is coming from passenger side window...

Is the rubber seal which the window presses against when closed damaged/deformed or is it a case of the window glass

being loose and not pressing properly against the seal?

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.