Search

Yowser

whats the deal with the forum search. Ever since the Upgrade several months ago it no longer works properly. Im wondering if its only me, since I have bought the subject up several times but not seen others complaining.

The search is surely one of the most used features on the site and I cant get any results newer than 2008.

ah...I think I found the issue I was having. The search defaults to sort by "relevance" rather than "date". So Im seeing older posts that may contain more entries of my keyword first, rather than the newer posts Im looking for which are on the third or fourth results page.

This seems to be a different sorting method to how the search usually works on forums.

ah...I think I found the issue I was having. The search defaults to sort by "relevance" rather than "date". So Im seeing older posts that may contain more entries of my keyword first, rather than the newer posts Im looking for which are on the third or fourth results page.

This seems to be a different sorting method to how the search usually works on forums.

gotta find new ways to keep people on their toes lol

ok, no I take it back...there is definatly something wrong still.

if I search for "autobox" by user "yowser" it only finds 7 results and the newest is from 2007. Thats definatly wrong ! :blink:

I have slagged off the z autobox far more times than that and far more recently ! :p

if I search for "autobox" by user "yowser" it only finds 7 results and the newest is from 2007. Thats definatly wrong ! :blink:

I have slagged off the z autobox far more times than that and far more recently ! :p

Agreed.lol I'll let Jakai know mate..

i might have to have a search now lol

i might have to have a search now lol

Finds other results, but there is definatly something wrong.

here is an example :http://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?162738-Automatic-vs-manual&p=1657083&viewfull=1#post1657083

In that recent post I used the word "autoboxes".

But if you do a search for autoboxes and username Yowser, it will not appear.

if you search for autoboxes without specifying my name it finds it though.

Finds other results, but there is definatly something wrong.

here is an example :http://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?162738-Automatic-vs-manual&p=1657083&viewfull=1#post1657083

In that recent post I used the word "autoboxes".

But if you do a search for autoboxes and username Yowser, it will not appear.

if you search for autoboxes without specifying my name it finds it though.

:lol: the search engine doesnt like your name, ill let jaikai know, might be something in the search engine its self doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think its broken but rather its the default search method thats not showing what you think should show !

If you do as suggested on defaults searchig for 'autoboxes' then your right the thread mentioned does not show.

However :

if you search for the keyword again and change the search to date rather than relevance it shows.

It however wont show that particular thread you mentioned "Automatic vs manual" when filtering by your name as you did not start the thread.

I dont think its broken but rather its the default search method thats not showing what you think should show !

If you do as suggested on defaults searchig for 'autoboxes' then your right the thread mentioned does not show.

However :

if you search for the keyword again and change the search to date rather than relevance it shows.

It however wont show that particular thread you mentioned "Automatic vs manual" when filtering by your name as you did not start the thread.

Yep, it only shows the threads I started with that keyword. Even though I told it to search all types, including posts.

I don't believe its me mistaking how it should work, I believe its broken. It should show all posts that match like very other forum out there.

I've posted a lot of stuff over the years, its frustrating not being able to refer back to it because I cant find it when members ask questions I've answered before.

Edited by Yowser

• 8 months later...

Hi, has anything been done with this?

I'm only asking because I have been doing various searching recently and the zed has lots of small 3 letter words for everything which is often a main culprit of problems.

For example:

TPS

CAS

AIV

MAF

ECU

BOV

Etc etc

Just think it would be worth changing.

Membership No 0780

INSURANCE GOOFA

Datascan, Conzult, ECUTalk and a few others

I have all the rare bits you can't find :tongue::tongue:

• 2 months later...

OK,

The reason for the issue is related to version 4 of the forums and the way it uses MYSQL in its searches.

In MYSQL which is the main database software the is a minimum word setting which currently we cannot change and its now set at 4.

This word setting is preconfigured and is related to our ISP's server which they will have to change for us, unfortunately the change also

effects other users using the same system as far I'm aware so they won't just change it at the wisp of our request.

But I will put it forward and see what they will do for us.

Lee