NOT RUNNING -again

Just tested a different MAF/AFM.. Started fine, let it warm up, revved fine.. Thought I would put some boost through it, the BOV'S blow of twice.. Then the engine just dies, engine warning light came on.. Now won't re-start..

Tried the original AFM back in.. Still won't start :rolleyes:

When fitting a different AFM, does the battery need to be disconnected to reset the ECU?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Edited by GUMBALL3000

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dam, well that threw me on that idea, lol

Okay, even if yer AFM is totally knackered or even unplugged, the car would still start, so discount that area completly ;)

Only other 3 main causes of failing to start i can think off is,

1) the ECU temp connector, with the iginition on, unplug this connector and tell us if the electric sub fan comes on.

2) PTU, series 1 ? even after i fitted a series 2 PTU i had the odd occassion where the engine just died, i simply wiggled the connectors andf she fired up.

3) CAS, usually once this goes, it's gone kaput though it is easy to check.

An ECU diagnostics would show up any of these 3.

smithy

Dam, well that threw me on that idea, lol

Okay, even if yer AFM is totally knackered or even unplugged, the car would still start, so discount that area completly ;)

Only other 3 main causes of failing to start i can think off is,

1) the ECU temp connector, with the iginition on, unplug this connector and tell us if the electric sub fan comes on.

2) PTU, series 1 ? even after i fitted a series 2 PTU i had the odd occassion where the engine just died, i simply wiggled the connectors andf she fired up.

3) CAS, usually once this goes, it's gone kaput though it is easy to check.

An ECU diagnostics would show up any of these 3.

smithy

Thanks Smithy.. Will check temp sensor.

I had a non start problem a month or so back, and it just resolved itself.. Strangely, it happens when the car has been sat out in the pouring rain for a week, without being started.. But it's strange how it started first time today, ran perfectly on tickover, and light revs, then boosted it, and it died.

Oh one last thought while am at it, lol

I know with some Zeds if you are just firing them up from time to time or trying to start them and not actually driving anywhere to get to normal operating temps, they can flood fairly easy and just don't wanna fire up.

You can check this by removing the fuel fuse in the small black fuse cover by clutch/brake booster ( clearly marked) once removed, try starting the car, after about the 4th or 5th attempt it should be either started or literally on the edge of starting, you can kinda tell the difference from this and earlier on when it stopped all together.

Whipping the front 4 or 5 plugs out and a quick clean would gaurantee a start up if she was flooded, but take her for a spin around the block!

smithy

Oh one last thought while am at it, lol

I know with some Zeds if you are just firing them up from time to time or trying to start them and not actually driving anywhere to get to normal operating temps, they can flood fairly easy and just don't wanna fire up.

You can check this by removing the fuel fuse in the small black fuse cover by clutch/brake booster ( clearly marked) once removed, try starting the car, after about the 4th or 5th attempt it should be either started or literally on the edge of starting, you can kinda tell the difference from this and earlier on when it stopped all together.

Whipping the front 4 or 5 plugs out and a quick clean would gaurantee a start up if she was flooded, but take her for a spin around the block!

smithy

Will try this also.. Thanks mate :bow:

The aux fan does not come on with the yellow temp sensor disconnected.

Ok good, well in a kinda strange way. This means that the electric sub fan ain't working ( and it should) so my money is now on the ECU temp sender unit connector, clean both parts of the connectors as much as possible even scraping with a screw driver if need be and try it again, but still giving a bit of thought to the flooding i mentioned earlier.

smithy

Guest 300zx_girl
but take her for a spin around the block!

smithy

who know's you might even get a 'was it you' :slap: :D

Hope you get it sorted... I'd offer my help, but think you are safer without it :D

who know's you might even get a 'was it you' :slap: :D

Hope you get it sorted... I'd offer my help, but think you are safer without it :D

The only 'was it you' I'll be getting is.. Was that you trying in vein to get your zed started.. lol

I wish I hadn't bothered testing the MAF now :wack:

Ok good, well in a kinda strange way. This means that the electric sub fan ain't working ( and it should) so my money is now on the ECU temp sender unit connector, clean both parts of the connectors as much as possible even scraping with a screw driver if need be and try it again, but still giving a bit of thought to the flooding i mentioned earlier.

smithy

Just removed the fuel pump fuse, and turned over several times.. Not a hint of starting :( and no petrol smell at all.. I remeber last time it wouldn't start the plugs were bone dry.

I cleaned the two temp sensor connectors with contact cleaner, even though most of it went in my eyes :wack: ..Still nothing :(

Hmm now that ain't good, certainly had the signs of either flooding or the ECU temp.

Righyo, move on to number 2 and 3 next, lol

Are yer a series 1 PTU ? anyone nearby to try a swap with you, tried cleaning the PTU connectors/wires. I know of no way test this except for swapping for a goodun.

We can test the CAS if yer like, but like i said generally once gone that is it, they are not normally an "intermittant" item.

Can you hear the fuel pump buzz up at the back of the car the very second you turn the ignition on ?

smithy

Just refitting the small temp sensor connector.. It broke off, so put a new connector on it.. Really cleaned all the connections both ends on both plugs, but still nothing.

I currently have an S1 PTU, and have a spare from the last non start problem.. I will try the other PTU & check for fuel pump noise, but if the fuel system is pressurised, it won't make any noise will it?.. Although it certainly stopped like it was fuel starvation.

Thanks for your time Smithy :bow:

Don't disregard the PTU completly even though you have a spare, i've seen a few times at zedworld whereby they have taken a known working spare of a scrappie, swapped over and it never worked, just that simple removing after many years seems to dislodge summit, strange as it sounds.

I can remove my series 2 one on monday and send it next day as long as you send it right back, last bloke i sent one to (series 1) kept it and my spare CAS and buggered off, twat!

anyway before a test of the CAS, tried ECU diagnostics to see if there any error codes ?

smithy

Thanks guy's!! :bow:.. That would be very good of you Smithy, and of course I would return it the same day mate.

Just checked the wiring on the fuel pump.. I've got power at the plug, but still can't hear the pump doing anything, but still not sure it would if it were already up to pressure ?? Might be wrong about that..

It's very strange how it decided to die during a boost.. The BOV was mid blow @approx 6K revs when it died.

Thanks guy's!! :bow:.. That would be very good of you Smithy, and of course I would return it the same day mate.

Just checked the wiring on the fuel pump.. I've got power at the plug, but still can't hear the pump doing anything, but still not sure it would if it were already up to pressure ?? Might be wrong about that..

It's very strange how it decided to die during a boost.. The BOV was mid blow @approx 6K revs when it died.

Don't know anyone round here with a conzult :( Well, Rodders, but he doesn't get on here now, I don't think :(

try undoing the fuel line a tad in the engine bay to release pressure and after the fuel has dried a bit then turn on ign and see iff pump kicks in

Yer don't need a consult mate, whip the ECU out from it's frame, turn teh screw on the side and read the lights, only takes 10 mins.

there is a how to on twinturbo.net or even AndyP's site which shows you how.

Am off home now, will check in in about 45 mins to see how you got on.

you gotta have a code, just gotta :D

smithy