Another Example of RIP OFF BRITAIN

Guest Chutney

Guest Chutney

The GT-R, fully loaded in the US is $76K dollars or at todays currency conversion rate of 1.91 dollars to the pound = £39790.

Honestly, why do we bother living here. All the good things in life are cheaper pretty much everywhere else.

Guest deve8uk
The GT-R, fully loaded in the US is $76K dollars or at todays currency conversion rate of 1.91 dollars to the pound = £39790.

Honestly, why do we bother living here. All the good things in life are cheaper pretty much everywhere else.

but in the US its $76K so if you moved there that would be what you pay for it. So whats your point? doesnt matter what the exchange rate is, that only applies if youo bring it over here.

Guest Chutney
but in the US its $76K so if you moved there that would be what you pay for it. So whats your point? doesnt matter what the exchange rate is, that only applies if youo bring it over here.

The point is, we systematically pay obove the odds for vehicles, fuel etc... The parts of a car don't cost the american market anymore they do here.... If they lowered the cost, more would be sold, market share would go up meaning more profit for the companies making the cars. It's the same with Evo X. In the states its £18K here it's £30K.

I understand your gripe - it is true, we pay over the odds here in the UK - but the reasons behind it are more complicated than so far discussed.

It costs car manufacturers different amounts of money to produce the same car for different markets (hence you get JDM, Euro, US, Canadian, Gulf, OZ-spec cars). The R&D costs will be different, component manufacturing costs will be different, test and type approval costs are different, dealer costs will be different, advertising costs will be different, so on and so on.

Furthermore, Chris (aka deve8uk) stated that the cost of the car is relative to your income. Using very rough estimates found on various government sites on the internet,

Median income in the US (2007) = £23,000( = $44k at today's exchange rate)

Median income in the UK (2007) = £31,000

Therefore, if you look at the cost of the car in both countries (US = approx. £40k / UK = approx. £60k)

That means that the GT-R costs 1.73x the median US income and in the UK it costs 1.93x the median income. That is not really that much more in real terms.

* I used Median income as this figure is not influenced directly by ultra-high earners and extremely-low earners - it is better to look at this than average income which can be distorted quite easily*

So in "real" terms it hurts just as much to buy the car in the US as it does to buy it over here PROVIDED you earn your income in the local currency.

Disclaimer - I am not an economist, mathematician or clairvoyant - I therefore take no responsibility for the accuracy of the figures discussed above. ;)

Cheers!

Dan

Edited by DTA (UK)

I understand your gripe - it is true, we pay over the odds here in the UK - but the reasons behind it are more complicated than so far discussed.

It costs car manufacturers different amounts of money to produce the same car for different markets (hence you get JDM, Euro, US, Canadian, Gulf, OZ-spec cars). The R&D costs will be different, component manufacturing costs will be different, test and type approval costs are different, dealer costs will be different, advertising costs will be different, so on and so on.

Furthermore, Chris (aka deve8uk) stated that the cost of the car is relative to your income. Using very rough estimates found on various government sites on the internet,

Median income in the US (2007) = £23,000( = $44k at today's exchange rate)

Median income in the UK (2007) = £31,000

Therefore, if you look at the cost of the car in both countries (US = approx. £40k / UK = approx. £60k)

That means that the GT-R costs 1.73x the median US income and in the UK it costs 1.93x the median income. That is not really that much more in real terms.

* I used Median income as this figure is not influenced directly by ultra-high earners and extremely-low earners - it is better to look at this than average income which can be distorted quite easily*

So in "real" terms it hurts just as much to buy the car in the US as it does to buy it over here PROVIDED you earn your income in the local currency.

Disclaimer - I am not an economist, mathematician or clairvoyant - I therefore take no responsibility for the accuracy of the figures discussed above. ;)

Cheers!

Dan

Wise words, Dan:bow:

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

There are two factors at work here, what it costs to produce and what people are prepared (or expect to pay). Obviously, the higher the second figure, the happier the manufacturer will be. Going back to the UK/US discussion, there will be higher volume sales in the US, even with fuel at $4.50 per gallon.

Guest Chutney
The reason this country is so expensive is because they have too much responsibility to the people that live here. Stiffer imogration laws would have sorted the problem out a long time ago.

Here, Here Aligned with that the benefit fraudsters, who can't work due to having an ingrowing toe nail...

I can't wait for the government to instigate the "What can you do, as opposed to, what can't you do" and get these people back to work, no matter how degrading the job might be.

I am an angry young man today aren't I ??? I'm going to shut up now.

Here, Here Aligned with that the benefit fraudsters, who can't work due to having an ingrowing toe nail...

QUOTE]

I'm not too sure how it works here in the UK but for some time during the late '90 the Dutch government didn't exactly offer an "incentive" for people to get off their lazy benefit arse and get a job. Basically, they got a monthly allowance, say £X; If they got a job it was likely that the pay rate was less than £X; Whats more, if they then left this job (for whatever reason) their benefit allowance (£X) was cut by 50%! So what incentive is there for them to get a job?

There are countries a lot worse off, I know where I rather be.

But what really adds insults to injury, we have the technology, the democracy the ability to be different, yet the people in power keep mucking it up!

At one time I would have argued it was dearer but we had a better standard of living in this country, now we do not. We pay over the odds and get nothing in return.

The streets are dirty and riddled with crime, you are not safe in your own home and you have to struglle to just financially survive.

Not bad to say at one time Great Britain owned half the world!