Battery keeps draining overnight!!

Guys

Have a slight prob with the battery being drained right down to nothing overnight, Happened last week twice so I thought it must be the battery and got a new bosch one put on. It's doing the same though. I have tried leaving the alarm turned off etc but it still dies overnight.

Anyone know of any usual faults with the electrics or ways to see what is draining the battery??

Cheers

This sort of problem is a right b*****d to sort. What I have done in the past is with the battery fully charged and installed in the car, disconnect the positive lead and lift from the terminal. Touch it back on to the terminal and it should spark if any current is being discharged although everything is supposed to be off. What you do then is whilst repeatedly touching the terminal with the battery lead, also touch the relays to see if any are clicking, vibrating etc,. which means they are being energised and probably faulty. If no success here, remove the fuses, one by one, in between touching the battery lead back on the terminal, if it suddenly stops sparking you have found the circuit causing the drain. Its a long process but well worth it before you take it to an auto electrician and get a bill.

Yeah my boot light comes on when bonnet is open so goes flat at shows! I added a switch on the bonnet stick switch thing to turn it off.

Also check your headunit, leaving the facia on can drain it?

what you could do is put a voltmeter on the battery etc and pull the fuses one by one, the voltage should go up slightly when you remove a fuse from a circuit that is draining power.

Ideally, you want to measure the current, not the voltage, that way it will be far more obvious when you identify the culprit.

true but the fact its going down over night shows its drawing volts as opposed to slight current drain iff you know what i mean,and dont say "but its 12 volts anyway" :D

Guys

Have a slight prob with the battery being drained right down to nothing overnight, Happened last week twice so I thought it must be the battery and got a new bosch one put on. It's doing the same though. I have tried leaving the alarm turned off etc but it still dies overnight.

Anyone know of any usual faults with the electrics or ways to see what is draining the battery??

Cheers

Put meter on it mesure the current if its drawing any amps start with the

obverse then start taking the fuses out if no joy then start with relays.If you have no joy PM me

Depends on the age of the battery, some are only garaunteed for a year, some 3 years, you could have a naff battery with dead cells, i just had the same problem with my 05 iveco, not being run enough during daylight hours and cold nights can kill a duff battery, just a thought

Cheers all, looks like I will be enjoying an evening stuck in the footwell then lol...

I charged the battery up full last might but left it disconnected from the car afterwards. If it's a duff battery (no pun intended Andy lol) will it still lose charge with nothing connected?? Maybe not much but it should lose a bit shouldn't it??

Cheers all, looks like I will be enjoying an evening stuck in the footwell then lol...

I charged the battery up full last might but left it disconnected from the car afterwards. If it's a duff battery (no pun intended Andy lol) will it still lose charge with nothing connected?? Maybe not much but it should lose a bit shouldn't it??

Yes it will lose charge if Battery is Knackered, and this time of year is when a dying battery is more likely to show up.

Cold and Dark nights I would bet Diamonds its the Battery

Cheers Nick, appreciated!! Do you drive a black Zed by any chance? I work in Hook and have seen one going out towards the motorway a few times now..

Great link retro!!

No mate, i sold my zed about 2 years ago. But i have seen the black one about.

Im off work till friday, so im available till then. Let me know fella