Brake upgrade

Nice find Jeremy. These certainly look like they could turn out to be good...if my "man in Japan" can't turn up a decent 2nd hand kit, I may have found my new brakes... :

http://www.d2racingsports.com.au/gpage.html

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=56726

Apparently the official UK importer of these is K-Sport...

Nice find Jeremy! These certainly look like they could turn out to be good...if my "man in Japan" can't turn up a decent 2nd hand kit, I may have found my new brakes! :D :

http://www.d2racingsports.com.au/gpage.html

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=56726

Apparently the official UK importer of these is K-Sport...

Do you think they would need a lot of modification to fit ?

Heading out now, so will do a search later but I "believe" a Z33 kit will fit with minor modification. Myself, I'd need to double check and make 100% certain before going forward.

EDIT: found time for a quick search and it appears that the Z33 fitment is pretty much a straight swap...only thing needed is the holes in the hub must be drilled out to a larger diameter, since the caliper bolts of the 350Z are larger. And you'd probably need an 18 or 19" alloy to get them in (I have 19s so not a problem)

what other kits can u get apart from these D2's?

Depends on how much cash you got,

Rotora

Stoptech

Greddy/Alcon

Brembo

KAD

Endless

Smithys :p

Am hoping to be offering real soon a complete new kit using 330mm discs and 6 pot calipers from a well known company, just waiting on confirmation and i'll be needing a test pilot too :)

cheers

smithy

Depends on how much cash you got,

Rotora

Stoptech

Greddy/Alcon

Brembo

KAD

Endless

Smithys :p

Am hoping to be offering real soon a complete new kit using 330mm discs and 6 pot calipers from a well known company, just waiting on confirmation and i'll be needing a test pilot too :) cheers

smithy

Me me i'll do it :) :) :) :)

Been in touch with the supplier off Ebay and they can do the 356mm kit for £1295 all in to your door. Smithy, are there any other similar spec kits that you supply that go for around the same price? Would be good if there were as I'd prefer to give the money to you! :)

Been in touch with the supplier off Ebay and they can do the 356mm kit for £1295 all in to your door. Smithy, are there any other similar spec kits that you supply that go for around the same price? Would be good if there were as I'd prefer to give the money to you! :)

Arr thanks mate ;) It's worth reading the thread on these on the skyline GTR forum, about 3 pages long....

I run the KAD 6 pot 356mm kit myself, costs around £1500 as a complete kit and well happy with it ;) but generally no mate, for the cash it appears alot of goodies, how long the discs last and how good they perform is i think a bit unknown on this ebay one, other than that all the ones i listed earlier are certainly more dosh. Appreaciate yer asking though bud :cool:

cheers

smithy

ps, just found out g4/d2 are made in taiwan, if that amkes a difference...

No worries mate, thought I'd ask just in case. ;) Yep, I read the thread before I posted it and there seem to be people both for and against, like most things on t'interweb!

I'm not so certain the "made in Taiwan" or (indeed China) thing is so much of an issue anymore (remember the "Jap Crap" days? Lol! How things change! ;)). Apparently the calipers for Grex and Rotora are also made in China! I'd definately look into the spec more before going any further though. Will be interesting to see how the Skyline boys get on with them.

Yep if it pleases the skyliners, you know yer on a winner bud ;)

JFYI, the kit am working on is 330x34mm 2 piece discs, 6 pot calipers, lines, ceramic pads, brackets/hardware all for a grand hopefully, i'll also possibly be able to offer the next size up disc too for those with big wheels :D

cheers

smithy

JFYI, the kit am working on is 330x34mm 2 piece discs, 6 pot calipers, lines, ceramic pads, brackets/hardware all for a grand hopefully, i'll also possibly be able to offer the next size up disc too for those with big wheels :D

cheers

smithy

Sounds spot on mate, nice one! Well, if you need a test pilot for the next size up let me know bud :D ;)

cheers

smithy

Smithy,

you KNOW I will be first in the queue to upgrade my calipers mate.

My R33 spec DBA 5000 discs are so awesome :bow: they now need some calipers to do them full justice. Jus make sure they will fit in my Nismo 17's :nono:

Out of interest listers I got a 350z disc upgrade kit for sale that allows you to use your existing calipers on bigger 350z discs

first £80 secures

Chris C

IMHO i think a mod as important as the brakes should never be taken too lightly. i use ebay for less important things such as cosmetic mods, accessories, second hand OE parts etc- NEVER anything as vital in a car as the brakes, turbos (or even second hand cars for that matter!)

Ebay has a well deserved reputation for the products advertised to be lacking in quality, i have found this through personal experience.

my rule for ebay is never spend more than £100. every transaction is a gamble, and when things do go wrong there is very little support from ebay, or the sellers (if they dont feel like it).

i have also read all the for and against arguments on the gtr forum, and i have to say, common sense is screaming out "the against arguments are justified, and the for arguers are in need of a lesson in common sense". too willing to trust, and missing the point that ebay is a site where people sell products with the intent to make as much profit as possible from each sale. this means cheaper quality materials, less involved manufacturing processes etc.

i can guarantee that ANY 'buy it now' auction where they have large quantities of stock to move, no matter what the product, will be of a lesser quality than advertised.

the guys that have already installed the kits are saying they have noticed good improvements over their last set up... but what i would be interested to know is where these 8 pot kits stand when compared to other 8 pot kits from the competition.

and who will notice the difference between an 8 pot kit and a 6 pot kit from a company with a distinguished reputation?

as much as i hate to admit it too, bigger isnt always better! (anyway those pistons look tiny tiny tiny)

for that much money, there are other upgrades possible that have next to no risk involved (already well proven in performance and reliability)- such as evo, gtr or 350z brembos (as i have), and you can get a full set (front and rear calipers and discs) for the same money and retain the factory brake bias! surely a bonus for a track car.

the argument goes on, but to finish this post, as a fellow 300zx enthusiast, please dont place your life in the hands of an ebay product- buy from a well respected trader on a club site (or smithy lol :p :D just joking dude) and have the confidence that a face to face transaction with decent customer support after the sale gives you.

it just isnt worth the risk at the end of the day mate.

Agree with everything there. I wouldn't get anything without looking into them 100%. I already run a GTR set-up and don't take things like this lightly. If they aren't an improvement I wouldn't bother, full stop! D2 stuff isn't exclusively Ebay only though and you can purchase them from reliable sources in the UK. It still remains an interesting alternative and one that may prove viable once the guys who have them have tested them long enough to give a better opinion. I'm keeping an open mind on them for the time being.