Please help

i couldnt wait to have my decats fitted so i am attempting it myself - have taken out master cylinder - dropped straight cat pipe and have removed the pig of a bolt on the pre cat - but i cannot fpr the life of me get to the one nearest to me - its fouled by the heat shield. Have removed two bolts to the heat shield but i cannot get anything on the last one - i get a spanner on it from underneath and cant get my hand with any leverage - has anybody any tricks that i am overlooking - have given up for tonight but would love some ideas to beat it tom.

Cheers

dave

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
IIRC you can get to it from above (remove the battery) and use an "S" spanner

Vijay

In my stupidity i thought i would tackle the drivers side first as this was supposed to be the hardest (damn right) - i havent attempted passenger side yet - i just cannot believe the lack of space - surely there must be a "knack" but i cant find it - so peed off

I'm pretty sure there's only 1 pre-cat and that's on the passanger side and on series 2 onwards.

Vijay

yep pre-cat is passenger side

as you say removing the brake master cylinder helps, ut you can go full hog and remove braker servo gives even more space to move

secondly the driverside as you say is a PITA and you sometimes find 1 bolt breaks from the top, so best thing to do is turn it out slightly then back in and so on and so fourth.

you can remove the heatshield but it can be long winded, but is doable you need to break the top 10mm bolt with a metal chisel, it means you can just get a 13mm deep socket on to it and have a slight leverage on turning

good luck, failing that just take the engine out, its then real easy PMSL