Audio example of engine knocking

Hello,

Previously I didnt know what engine knocking sounded like. I feel its good to know so you know what to look for. Anyway, here is a video of a Toyota Supra, whose engine is knocking!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=166330623163766700&q=engine+knocking

Hope this helps as it did me! I now know I dont suffer from knocking :bow:

Guest v6power

Knocking isnt Detonation - thats caused by running lean and a complelely different sound. The sound your hearing there is either an end bearing or oil pump failure.

Ah right, I stand corrected. I'm no expert in these matters just what I've picked up over the few years. So is the the extra kind of fluttering sound on load the bearing? What would detonation sound like then? My first zed died through running lean but I couldn't hear it happening. I like these posts, there's not enough technical posts on the forums these days!

Says on the side what was wrong with that engine.

UPDATE: I took the entire engine apart and this is what I found: 1) Oil pump driveshaft bearings were bad 2) Oil pump driveshaft collar was severly worn out 3) Cam journals were badly scored 4) Exhaust cam gear center hole was worn out possibly allowing cam gear to move on camshaft

As for detonation sound, put some marbles in a jar and shake it, thats the sound.

Why they are reving it to 3k is beyond me with the oil pressure light on.It might have only needed a new set of big end shells now the crank has probably knakered .Hear that knocking and turn of straight away. :headvswal

hehe I recognise that sound ;) I did the big ends on my S13 and also had to replace them on Z32. As said previously, hear that sound and turn engine off. If you're lucky crank will need a polish up (being nitrided help a lot) and a new set of shells. Dont forget to clean/renew oil pump though.

Oh and Dave/Royal........ you dont need to worry about this noise EVER again in your rex lol :D:D