How muh paint?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 7 years later...

I realise this is from 2006!

I'm hoping to paint my Z this year. I gather the above is talking about unmixed? So using celulose, this would be about 6-8 litres after thinned / mixed?

I'm looking at this, with is ready for use (pre-thinned) -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-LT-Viking-Purple-Pearl-Basecoat-Car-Paint-Solvent-RFU-READY-TO-USE-FREE-POST-/221344059533?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item338922508d

All depends on how it covers. The black I just used on my respray of the current Zed, took 2.5 liters cos it covered really well. I sprayed a BMW recently it hellrot red (a BMW colour) and the coverage was piss poss so it took 5 liters.

What colour are you spraying over? Or has the whole car been primed? Is it a standard car? Or are there aftermarket items on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a standard car, two of the bumpers are silver, as is the bonnet, the rest is white. After some research , I planned to skip on the primer, and just rub down the white paint, use that as the ground coat. I may prime the bonnet and bumpers white, just for even tones. I expect that purple RFU paint is 1:1 ratios, as they do sell un-thinned paint and recommend 1:1. From what you're saying, I think 6 litres of that Viking Purple RFU, should do it, but I'd want to confirm how much it has been thinned. I just don't want to run out! Lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

the paint on the car is about 20 years old, so is a good base. its hard and wont move at all. So your theory there is sound. I wouldnt bother priming it if youve got no filler work done, scotch the whole car and your good to go.

id prob give the bumpers 2 coats, then put them back on the car and spray it all in one go. as its a pearl, like my one it all need to be together to get the finish, or the pearl will sit differently if the panels are sprayed separate from the the car.

6 liters should be enough, with some spare.

The BMW wasnt thinned when we got it, and was mixed 1:1 but the paint just wasnt covering very well at all. We got it from our normal supplier and have never had an issue with quality before. but we had to get more and that was the same.