Alternative front seats

I've seen Zeds with 350Z seats in a fair few times but wondered if it's that difficult to adopt seats from another car ?

The seats in my Mrs BMW 1 Series are full leather (non-electric but heated) and pretty comfortable, and are low too. Would these go in a Zed ? My drivers seat has lost it's shape and I've been looking around. 300ZX leather interiors are like rocking horse s**t ! Can't afford a retrim at the moment.

Merc E Coupes have some nice seats too and obviously much more modern. I would of course avoid electric controlled from the door and airbags.

Anything can fit with a bit of bending, cutting, welding and drilling. I think bmw seats would look way out of place in a z32. I think finding decent second hand ones would be a the best option. If you insist on different seats. Try looking for cheap recaros, honda civic type r, vauxhall corsa vxr, renault megane 225 recaros come to mind. Being recaros you could buy the rails for 300zx and fit them straight... i think. But dont take my word for it. Orherwise i kind of like Chrysler Crossfire seats and i think they wouldnt look too much out of place, but they would definately need custom fabrication to fit.

22 minutes ago, Markyb300 said:

The lower bolster on the drivers seat and also I think the lower back of the same seat.

You can replace the drivers side foam parts with the corresponding parts from the passenger side which usually don't suffer from wear. A good

trimmer can do that for you without difficulty using a s/h donor seat.

• Like 2

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2021 at 22:33, AndrewG said:

You can replace the drivers side foam parts with the corresponding parts from the passenger side which usually don't suffer from wear. A good

trimmer can do that for you without difficulty using a s/h donor seat.

I'd be looking at this option too.....

Car seats may have evolved over the years, but I still think the original Z32 seats are pretty much the most comfortable of all the cars I have had. I can drive the Zed all day and step out without pain or stiffness (ooer mrs). Can't say the same for all the new cars I've owned!

• Like 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

11 minutes ago, RichardS said:

Car seats may have evolved over the years, but I still think the original Z32 seats are pretty much the most comfortable of all the cars I have had. I can drive the Zed all day and step out without pain or stiffness (ooer mrs). Can't say the same for all the new cars I've owned!

Couldn't agree more. Seat comfort for the Z32 is incredible. I was always surprised how well I felt after a long drive, especially a trans continental drive. I never ever felt uncomfortable, not matter how long the drive yet much more modern cars, seat comfort is nowhere near as good. My 2 year old Mercedes, not as comfortable, my Aston Martin, not as comfortable. Both are comfy though, just not as comfortable as the seats in a 300zx - I'd personally never change them from the original design.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardS said:

Also agree with you tbh, and I think they look great too with all the different padding/sections to them. They might have stopped selling OEM foam replacements nowadays but I do know Interior Innovations USA do sell their replica foams - I will 100% be buying them when I get the re-trim done or OEM if I can find them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RichardS said:

Completely agree, I can drive all day in a Zed and not even think of my bottom. However 2 hours in the wifes Audi TT and I need a leg stretch and don't even get me started on bus seats!

• Like 1

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)