1998 LWB NA - the purple project

Lexx

So I've been around the Zed scene in one model or another for almost 15 years now. Last owned was a 1995 Slicktop which I bought on a bit of a whim. Unfortunately it was a terrible time to own a project due to have new born twins when I bought it, doing a huge house extension shortly after, and then having another set of twins. Basically didn't have the time to dedicate to it so ended up selling. 

A number of years later, no more wiser, and a bit of a tragedy later and I ended up buying another Z32. 

Most people here will know this car, and know it's had a hard life. Over 15 years in the UK, never undersealed, and a sketchy service history for the past 5 or so. 

Just about every panel is a different shade of midnight purple. 

After discovering that the ignition barrel had been rodgered and that a screwdriver could start the car it was time to correct that before everything else. 

So a full lock and key set was ordered from Japan. Ignition now fitted. Door locks to follow. 

List of items to do (in no particular order) :

1. Purchase and replace heater pod - Done

2. Replace window upper sliders - bought but not yet fitted. 

3. Source OEM airbox to replace the awful cone filter. - Done

4. Raise suspension up to a sensible height. (need to buy a MeisterR spanner) - Done

5. Fit better size spacers for the wheels - Done

6. Replace front drop links - Done

7. Remove all suspension, soda blast, paint, refit. DONE REAR. Part done front

8. Rear subframe to come off. Soda blasted. Paint. New bushes. DONE

9. Rear diff oil replaced, new gasket, paint. - Done

10. Replace fuel lines front to back. 

11. Clean, treat, paint entire underside

12. Sill replacement both sides (eeeek) (recent investigation suggests only rear returns will need doing. Here's hoping). - Done

13. Repair to front radiator mount (lower) - Done

14. 120k full service to complete. Probably Powerzed, but it's a heck of a journey for me. Will see. - Done

15. Fix clocks ambient lighting. - Done

16. Replace HID bulbs with 4300k - Done

17. Replace indicator bulbs with none chromed ones. DONE

18. Replace/refurb boot struts

19. Full respray. 

20. Rear bumper mount metal work repair. - Done

21. Remove crappy dynomat from boot floor and investigate condition

22. Make new boot plywood cover sheets - Done

23. Repair partial shelf blind 

24. Remove rear tints

25. New Cats

26. New exhausts (double twins) 

IMG_20200829_172144.jpg

IMG_20200830_134217.jpg

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

Small update. 

Got the new ignition barrel in and secured. All the trim refitted. 

Had to order a new AC pod as the current one is goosed. Feels like I'm re doing all the same bit I did on my last one. Bit of a pain but is what it is. 

Did some investigation into the non working dash lighting. Need to pull out the multimeter and check the dimmer switch itself, though I suspect the likely culprit is the timer control unit. Will pull that and inspect the soldering at the weekend. 

New issue to add - extremely grumbly power steering pump. Need to check it is the power steering and not the alternator before committing to buying a rebuild kit and new bearing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lexx said:

Did some investigation into the non working dash lighting. Need to pull out the multimeter and check the dimmer switch itself, though I suspect the likely culprit is the timer control unit. Will pull that and inspect the soldering at the weekend.

Got the relevant FSM pages for diagnosing dimmer (illumination control) system?

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

Got the clocks workings today. Not sure I'm convinced by the red they are so may look at changing that. 

For those wondering, it was a loose wire in the dimmer Loom plug. 

Also got the new boot lock in

IMG_20201001_140044.jpg

IMG_20201001_143124.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

There's a special place in hell reserved for the person who fitted these momo pedals. 

Managed to get 2 of them removed. But struggling to get at the nyloc nut that's been fitted to the back of the 2 bolts holding the accelerator pedal on. Started to drill one of them out, but ran out of time today. Will continue tomorrow. 

All this is just work to put off getting the car in the air and seeing how bad the underside is! Eeeek

IMG-20201001-WA0013.jpeg

Driver door lock changed. Did not enjoy that job at all. 

Discovered that power window amp is likely reason for Windows not raising correctly. The entire card was pulled out of its housing. 

IMG_20201001_171616.jpg

IMG_20201001_165005.jpg

• Like 1

Had a couple of hours on the Zed today. Got the back seat out and a scope into the sills.

They're nowhere near as bad as I feared. The rot seems to be kept at the rear sill return and not spread further fwd than that which is a relief. Caused by the usual culprit of the targa drain clogging up. 

Will look at getting it booked in to get the sill work done before I start stripping the suspension off. 

Image_2020-10-06 13_31_18_408.JPG

Image_2020-10-06 13_16_21_287.JPG

Image_2020-10-06 13_07_54_718.JPG

Image_2020-10-06 13_17_13_974.JPG

Image_2020-10-06 13_07_18_986.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gaz 300 said:

Some good news Lexx but still surprised at the rust on a 99 spec Z. It just shows that in the UK the salted roads are so bad for our cars. Great pictures of the inside of the sills. 

Car has been in the UK since 2002. Only spent 3 and bit years in Japan. Me and Ian G have been comparing pics and we're both in about the same condition for the same year of car. 

6 hours ago, Gaz 300 said:

Some good news Lexx but still surprised at the rust on a 99 spec Z. It just shows that in the UK the salted roads are so bad for our cars. Great pictures of the inside of the sills. 

Not had an easy life this one, glad it’s in the right hands. 

Momo pedals removed fully this morning. 

The brake and clutch rubbers are now on (what a fart on), now I need to figure out how the accelerator pedal pad itself comes off. I have a new one to replace it, but for the life of me I can't see how to get the other one off in situ without removing the entire pedal assembly. Any pointers? 

Oh. And anyone got a foot rest in excellent condition they want to sell? 

IMG_20201008_101647.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lexx said:

The brake and clutch rubbers are now on (what a fart on), now I need to figure out how the accelerator pedal pad itself comes off. I have a new one to replace it, but for the life of me I can't see how to get the other one off in situ without removing the entire pedal assembly. Any pointers? 

Oh. And anyone got a foot rest in excellent condition they want to sell?

Doing the same job Alex. Accelerator pedal has a hinge mechanism with return spring. The white bush needs to be pushed out to allow the metal

bar carrying the spring to slide out and be removed. I can't see how that can be easily done and reassembled without removing the pedal assembly

(just two bolts and the cable end fitting though).

The foot rest is part# 67848-40P00 and super expensive new!

1818174526_acceleratorpedal.thumb.jpg.d5efd2409320cdeeb5b22b12e16d7336.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for that Andrew. I guessed it was to do with the plastic Bush, but can't get any angle or purchase on it to push/pull it out. 

I'll try again this afternoon, after that I'll commit to take the whole thing out if I haven't succeeded. 

Ta for that Gaz. 

I moved on to replacing the last of the locks (passenger door and glove box), but will look at that pedal tomorrow. 

I'm covered in that black butyl crap they put on the doors to hold the plastic in place. Argh. 

Hoping to get the OEM airbox fitted tomorrow - anyone any idea of bolt size? The parts catalogue is of no help. The 2nd hand box I got didn't come with the bolts, so I'm going to put something temporary in place 

Just finished the job. Brake and Clutch pads go on a lot easier if they are heated up first and go soft and malleable. Only needed

to remove the two bolts and turn the pedal assembly around. The only way I got locking bush out was to cut away the outer part of

the old pad moulding where it is secured (arrowed). This enabled the bush to be pushed out with the hinge bar. To relieve the tension

on the spring I cable tied it as shown until the new pad was in place. Rest the pedal against the floor stop and drive the new locking

bush into place with a small round bar.  You can correctly position the upper return spring by hand once the mounting bolts are back in.

PXL_20201008_125722720.thumb.jpg.1b2f163d0182f9e8099c701dc81950f9.jpg

Edited by AndrewG
  • Like 1

Nice, when my Z was imported in the mid 2000s, it arrived with me sporting Razo pedals. Absolutely bloody dreadful things they were. Any of those clip on pedal covers are just awful. I replaced the rubbers as they had compression marks on them and the accelerator pedal all with new items. One of the first things I did. Junk! 

I don't think the accelerator pedal is available new anymore is it? Glad you've found one!

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 14:36, Gaz 300 said:

I've seen far far worse, absolutely shocking condition it is, Alex's is in much better condition. This other 99-spec, the arches have gone, the whole underneath looks like it's been sat in the Mariana Trench for 20 years, just a mess.

Edited by Funkysi

9 minutes ago, Funkysi said:

I've seen far far worse, absolutely shocking condition it is, Alex's is in much better condition. This other 99-spec, the arches have gone, the whole underneath looks like it's been sat in the Mariana Trench for 20 years, just a mess.

When I was a boy my dad took us to the beach at Portstewart  and people still take their car there. Never buy a car from that area lol.

Summer-Sun-Portstewart-6_-Lewis.thumb.jpg.03823c20e38936ab81300bb8231243f8.jpg

30 minutes ago, Funkysi said:

I don't think the accelerator pedal is available new anymore is it? Glad you've found one!

Got a new one from JP car parts so I assume they are still available in Japan. 

@AndrewG Thanks for all that info Andrew. Very helpful and I'll use it do tackle mine tomorrow. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Gaz 300 said:

When I was a boy my dad took us to the beach at Portstewart  and people still take their car there. Never buy a car from that area lol.

Summer-Sun-Portstewart-6_-Lewis.thumb.jpg.03823c20e38936ab81300bb8231243f8.jpg

Seen quite a few late model cars with rot on them. Feel for the owners as there's less rust proofing that earlier cars.

• 1 month later...

Made a start on dropping the subframe this morning. So far I'm about 3 hours behind schedule! 

2 snapped bolts and a feck ton of swearing and I finally got the JapSpeed exhaust off after 3 hours of trying not to snap any bolts. 

Hopefully have the subframe down by this time tomorrow. 

IMG-20201109-WA0008.jpeg

IMG_20201109_111731.jpg

IMG_20201109_120949.jpg

IMG_20201109_121804.jpg

• Like 1