Front indicators not working no power

Hey Yall ?

Not been active for quite some time but.......

Recently been working on my almost a decade long project, nearly there, and the front indicators have no power to them.

Harzards are fine both side and rear flash correctly, all bulbs working

Indicator stalk side and rear flash quickly indicating bulb out, no power to front at all.

I have replaced the front bumper, I have installed new larger side mount intercoolers.

After spending time on the car on and off, basically I don't have a clue if I've missed anything.

The ground is OK as its shared with the side lights and both sides light up fine.

Has anybody any ideas please?? 

I'm hoping to get it in for MOT early next month ?

Have you tested with multimeter?    Check at front indicator  12v on b/l    neg is black, if no volts showing  put multimeter neg tem on battery neg and test b/l for 12v if ok you have lost your earth on black , to check this put wire on black cable and touch earth on body or battery

Ps make sure your ignition is turned on. ,and indicator stalk turned to side you are testing.

Having looked at circuit diagram it would seem to be problem between flasher unit or indicator stalk area,

I would look at flasher unit and wires to it , this unit is fed via hazard switch in off position .

Fuse feeds - hazard switch off position-----feeds flasher unit ----feeds indicator stalk which in turn feeds either right or left bulb.

You need to check wires on flasher unit- three wires   1. Feed from hazard switch.2. Earth wire.3.Feed to indicator stalk

Number 3 looks likely to be missing.

Hope this helps.

Well today's progress...........

replaced my hazard switch with another one I had, indicator problem still same.

With a massive amount of struggling (seat out everything wrecked near the pedals.) I have finally got to my flasher unit, which was cable tie up right at the top, all my alarm units are in that place too, I have previously had the dash off and done a manual conversion so I tidy everything up under there ? Its a right mess now.

The flasher unit is making the clicking noise and I can feel the switch inside when the hazard switch is pressed.  I will have to check wire continuity between that and the indicator stalk tomorrow.  and see if there a test I can follow on net tomorrow, thanks for the input, Ill be back with more tomorrow.   

Ok. If you go to stalk  plug side you should have 12volts on pin number 1 ,  if not you will need to back track to flasher unit.

If you DO have 12volts on pin 1   you could try putting a temp link between pin 1 and 2 this should make one side flash.

Link between 1 and 3 the other should side  flash.

If you have 12v on pin 1 and nothing happening when linked you have broken wire between 2  and lights or 3 and lights

Chances are only one will be not working ,you will then need to check wires from pin 2 or 3 to the actual lights

You just need to keep methodically  going though them.

Remember you will need ignition On     so be carefully when linking or you will of course blow fuses.

Like I say multimeter check 12v on pin 1. First

bg16.jpg

12 hours ago, paulbrem said:

replaced my hazard switch with another one I had, indicator problem still same.   

Yes both could work perfectly, I still it's fouling, have you tried it when it's dangling loose ?

Another thing to add, your hazards work without the key don't forget.

Big thank GRMAGMUN

I have 12V on pin one, i have looped wires 1+2 and then 1+3 both times worked as expected but still with no power to either front indicators (the back and sides are OK).

Think I need to find out what the relay does behind the fuse box in the foot well and check backwards from the front bulb connectors. 

The back of the car is jacked up at moment awaiting parts which should come today, tomorrow I'm gonna jack the front up and take the inner wings off to see whats happening with the loom, but the are fed independently from each other one wiring loom per side inside the inner wing.  Blowing my mind lol

Just now, phutumsch said:

Yes both could work perfectly, I still it's fouling, have you tried it when it's dangling loose ?

Another thing to add, your hazards work without the key don't forget.

Yes handing loose still same result.  I check the hazards without key and indicators with ignition on.

Hi, just looked again at circuit , do you realise there are SEPARATE  fuses!!

There is a fuse at battery end that supplies the HAZARD LIGHTS ! Hence why those work.

Now , there is another separate 10 amp fuse in the drivers footwell if this has blown you will not get any turn signals but will still get hazard lights!!!!!!!!

Take yellow 10 amp fuse out and replace with known good one.

I've been replying on my phone an its not come through?

Yep both fuses in foot well are fine.

This is really is frying my brain, and I cant help but think its something ive done in the past.

I've put a vidd up on youtube, as you can see that the end the sidelight is working and the sidelight shares the same earth so not an earth issue.  only recorde drivers side but passengers side asme.

I only noticed this as my car is nearly 'finished' and ready for mot an I was putting my lights back in but I have now got larger front mount intercoolers so the lights don't fit back in with the bulb holders how they are.  Ive decide Ill have to make something, so going with LEDs that shouldn't have to be replaced.

https://youtu.be/cwTUikVNz4A 

It looks like you have lost live feed to indicator , if there is an open circuit because wire is broken or no earth it thinks the bulb has blown.

Is this the same on passenger side?? Video only shows driver side.

Because as you say loom is separate left and right so if both sides are the same you have lost either two live feeds or both have bad Earth !!!

The side indicator should be connected somewhere to the front indicator you coulď try putting another wire in from side indicator to front, this will work , if it then doesnt work you need to give indcator fresh earth connection. Try running wire direct off neg on battery .

Quick test I would do is using your meter,   neg on battery check indicator for 12v if none try reversing put red lead on to battery pos black on indicator earth. This second test will prove you have good earth

Yes video doesn't show passanger side but is same. Well I have put hazards on the with multimeter black lead to negative on battery. The multimeter set on voltage jumped from a signal to zero as it flashed but only 0.02v. When connect bulb holder earth direct to battery it still does not work. 

I connected the side indicators to the front but still used the earth cable from the light cluster and is now working as we knew it would with hazards but flashing quickly with indicator stalk as if there is a bulb out. Going to jack front if car up tomorrow and take it from there. Your help is much appreciated mate.