Repairing the OSF sill and floor!

Well I have now purchased a Lead loading setup to try and make the repair look right without a load of filler.... Old School.... lol

I am hoping that it will come out well and allow me to get the finish I am after. I am hoping years of soldering may give me a chance of actually getting it right..... lol

Tomorrow I will be tackeling the closer panel in place and fabricating the small section in front of it.....

Few more weeks till it is fully welded in place..... No rushing, just getting it right and learning more as I go.... If I mess up, learn from it and start again....

i watched one of the lead loading demos at the NEC last year and they make it look so easy, but the end results are so much better.

i can see why you want to go that way, especially for external facing panels. :thumbup:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday gave me 2 hours to get some welding done.... so I welded the outer rear sill panel in place...

I played join the dots to keep the heat out of any one area to minimise distortion as much as possible.

C5A9CEAA-72D0-41D9-8F18-823A0EA7F45B.jpg

448B9954-153D-4F92-8800-C5DA307A986F.jpg

7A453B91-93AF-4D0D-874E-04424C73E6FD.jpg

EDA8795B-F232-4F77-B583-2858D95E0092.jpg

I ran out of time to grind the welds back, so I sealed it all with some 99% zinc cold galvanising spray to protect it all, till I can get to grind it back another day. It will need some bodywork done to sort out the dents hidden with thick filler that I have uncovered doing this. Going to lead load it rather than filler it. We will see how this plan goes....

I now need to fabricate a small section in front of the new section to close it up fully. I also need to remove passenger seat and carpet to repair the chassis rail section.... all fabricated, but need to move fuel lines and all other flammable items first....

Getting there now....

Edited by veilside01702

So far I haven’t put any heat near the carpet or any flammable parts. So no need to move anything until I do the chassis rail. I did remove rear panel so I could see any smoke or flames.... plus I use my compressor and compressed air to cool down the welds quickly...

I have been using a fire retardant blanket just in case and have a fire extinguisher on hand...

I’m nervous about the chassis rail though as the fuel lines are literally fixed to the side of it....

Need to move them....

I will also be careful when grinding all the welds back with the sparks....

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

The pupil has now become the master.

(When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave)

https://imgur.com/gallery/wq6OYzD

more like.....

http://files.umwblogs.org/peyton.umwblogs.org/files/2015/11/09064433/Assignment-6-GIF-NUMBER1.gif

:lol:

Edited by veilside01702

Well today was quite productive.....

1) Removed kick plate, passenger seat and carpet (laid fire blanket above the area being welded), rear quarter interior panel, harness mounts.

2) Welded repair section across the chassis rail joint section (just behind passenger seat). Ground back welds.

3) Welded the final closing patch in the N/S sill.... Ground all welds back. So just inner rear arch to finish tomorrow.

4) Refitted all interior panels.

5) painted repaired sections with Cold galvanising spray.

Tomorrow:-

1) Jack up rear end higher and remove wheel to access the inner arch to finish welding.

2) Seam seal the inner arch.

3) Spray the passenger side floor pan with underseal.

4) Strip all filler that remains from sill sections and rear quarter, back to bare metal ready to try lead loading....

A few pics of the end of today’s work.....

F95B3D5C-857C-4C7A-998D-2D571B5FE06C.jpg

Damn iPhone...... lol

But you can see how thick the filler was on the rear quarter panel....... looks like it goes right up!

The repair panel looks all dented, but it is the light and grey cold galvanising spray making it look bad.... lol

2D503779-2F3F-422B-95BB-BE2AD6B7BBC0.jpg

381BA6A9-7ECB-4EEF-AF81-C3B6B7339DEE.jpg

81E70CD1-0C8C-4032-A2D9-81576F037297.jpg

53B0F1CA-7C0A-47AB-AC0B-7D1AE24E886C.jpg

Edited by veilside01702

Well after spending the day with the headache from hell.....

I only managed to get the underside of the car full sealed with Tetroseal....

I'm going to try some more painkillers and then jack up the car ready to finish the final bit of welding tomorrow instead...

Aiming for MOT this week and finish the bodywork over the next few weeks in a nice warm workshop....

As long as she is MOT'd I can get to and from the workshop to get the bodywork done..... rather than cold, wet and windy driveway!!

Oh and I have joined a welding course to get qualified..... lol

Cheers Dave, I have watched about 20 videos now on the theory and how old timers do it....

I keep rewatching them and picking up more and more advice and tricks they use before I even think about actually tackling it.

I am currently making some panel slappers / bumpers for knocking out dents. These are formed from files to shrink the metal when knocking out low a dig has spots. Only issue is you can’t get to the rear quarter outer skin to use a dolly as it is double skinned.

So guess that leading is going to be the best solution for me...

Edited by veilside01702

9A5C0532-6A33-4C5D-8ED1-588E47251BA5.jpg

I seam sealed last night so it would be ready to Tetra schutz today...

Just given her a coat in the wheel arch and now ready for the MOT....

The rear quarter panel can be finished once I can drive her to a warm workshop so I don’t freeze my rear end off trying to lead fill her....

Just need to remove the polyurethane adhesive used to fit the side skirt to the front wing and door shut...

That slapper file video inspired me to attempt to remove a small dent from my rear quarter. Here is an actual picture of the results so far...

a09fa1603f6bcd8ad75948dee87bbdb6.jpg

PMSL - just like that Father Ted scene where he tried to hammer out a dent in his car...:lol:

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

I seam sealed last night so it would be ready to Tetra schutz today...

Just given her a coat in the wheel arch and now ready for the MOT....

The rear quarter panel can be finished once I can drive her to a warm workshop so I don’t freeze my rear end off trying to lead fill her....

Just need to remove the polyurethane adhesive used to fit the side skirt to the front wing and door shut...

Great work Russ....:thumbup:

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2: