Titanium key...

I really want one, but I don't want to pay a fortune for one shipped from the US, and I don't want to change any of my locks or ignition barrel, Any Idea of any in the UK? there's some really nice silvia ones on ebay with a nice key ring. but no 300 ones.

I know Z1 do them but would be a bit pricy to get it shipped after taxes etc are applied? don't suppose Si would be able to pick me one up when he's over the states? :whistling:

http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=5236

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
That's not good. there's a few places in redcar that cut keys, i'll keep the titanium part quiet though, I'm sure one of them will manage.

There's a shop in Hartlepool that'll cut them. They charge a wee bit extra for it being Titanium but they will do it.

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

Hi Stevie,

ArubaDave here,

I only have the gold and blue anodized keys in stock at the moment,

I can removed the anodizing for you if you are not interested in the blue or gold anodized ones.

To everyone that didn't get their keys cut.

Take it to a qualified locksmith and explain them the following:

Their key cutting wheels are made from carbide which is harder than the titanium keys.

Some of them are titanium coated. If they are don't get the keys cut there.

If you key melted while getting cut, they locksmith treated it like a regular brass or aluminum key.by applying too much pressure.

I always recommend for to use some light passes while cutting the key 2-3 light passes to get a clean cut.

Some of our locksmiths here in Aruba use some cutting oil to help with the cooling down when cutting the key as well.

Thanks

-Dave

Take it to a qualified locksmith and explain them the following:

Their key cutting wheels are made from carbide which is harder than the titanium keys.

Some of them are titanium coated. If they are don't get the keys cut there.

And if he doesn't know the difference, he's not a proper locksmith!

Titanium wheel will cut anything from beryllium, molybdenum downwards. (But don't try to machine beryllium like in The Sum of All Fears because it is very toxic).

Titanium is 6, and steel is 5 which is why titanium coated wheel cuts steel.

Titanium carbide is 9 - 9.5 (also tungsten carbide and carborundum) so will pretty much cut anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness