Projected BHP?

Ok, today I've sent my '93 Auto TT ECU away to Jeff at Zedworld to have a Zedworld chip fitted :D

My car is pretty much stock, apart from an Apexi intake (single), Japspeed decats (inc Turbo elbows) and a Mongoose exhaust, given that the Zed has 97,000 miles on it and is Twenty years old - what kind of BHP am I looking at, after the ECU has been chipped?

The car runs well, boosts well and appears to have been well looked after by it's previous owners, it's never let me down.

On average (if there is such a measurement) - how much power (BHP), is lost over the years and how can it be reclaimed?

I know that this like asking "how long is a piece of string?" but some idea, even a guesstimate would be a start.

I await in anticipation......Andy

ZedRear4b.jpg

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Based on what I've seen, about half a dozen zeds on generic chips. I would estimate at 13 psi you will be kicking out circa 330hp you make more but I'd be shocked to see it pull more than 350hp flywheel figures.

I agree....mine had some similar mods done in the early days and I had a dyno sheet of 340 BHP given to me in the service history :cool3:.

Thanks for the prompt replies guys, looking forward ........what's the next item or items that would need to be upgraded or changed to improve the BHP even more?

I intend to keep the autobox, just in case someone suggests a change to manual, am I looking at better SMICs, larger capacity injectors, 2.5" intake piping???

I would like to aim a wee bit higher - maybe around 350 ~ 380 BHP if possible.

ZedRear4b.jpg

Don't be disheartened by the numbers. In reality your probably putting out about 280hp at present, so it will bet you a gain of around 50hp which is none to shabby. It will certainly change the driving characteristic to a more aggressive one. See how you feel, if you feel after that you still want more, then a it's time to decide what you want to do. The stock tubs with larger piping injectors etc etc is quite an expensive way to gain power and is limited by the tiny stock turbos. If you did all that and retained generic chip you still wouldn't likely make the same numbers as a custom map on the stock system.

Moving on from stock turbos, you can run your oldstockbottom end many have done this with over 500hp, how long it will last is a guess. A good tune will make a healthy engine last, however any flaws in that 20 year old engine will fail proportionality quicker. So if you have the money a full engine rebuild with new tubs will see you shooting for the moon. Probably with no traction haha.