Rust holes in Floor / Sills...... Help.....Please...

Redwine's thread on the MIG welding forum helped me no end, if not just for a boost of motivation now and then...until I eventually gave up that is! lol

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15465

From your pics I'd say it your Zed doesn't look too bad, and is totally repairable, but I really would check everywhere. Even when I thought I'd finally finished finding rot, I'd find more, hence why I gave up trying to repair it, there was baely any good steel left...plus a shell turned up locally.

As for your question about using angled steel for the jacking point, I had the same idea when looking at my rear subframe mounts, but drilling holes and bolting it on, as well as welding. I never got to that stage though.

• Like 1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks for the support redwine300, mastercookieman, ruishy1, I appreciate the support, advice and experience you are all giving me....

Been off work, in and out of hospital and classed as disabled for 10 years, so unfortunately haven't been able to look after my Zed the way she deserved.....lol

Been 6 years sitting waiting with absolutely everyone telling me to just get rid of her..... been determined to get well enough to get her back on the road.....

and I am getting there finally..... Nice to have your support.....

Thank you all.....

I am so glad I came back to the forum......

Russ

Well had a few issues with welder, namely finding out the regulator is leaking badly..... Replaced it with clarke one temporarily.... but has no flow gauge...

This is my first attempt setting up power and wire speed.....2013-06-27-201.jpg

This is my 2nd attempt that seems okay.... but going to have another practice tonight....2013-06-27-202.jpg

Second picture is not bad at all for a first attempt.

Mind you, I would need to see the opposite side so as to see the level of penetration.

Ideally, the back should look the same as the front.

How thick is the plate? The reason I ask is that it would be worth using a 1.5mm to 2.0mm thickness just to get the hang of things.

That way you will not have to worry about blowing through so often. Once you have then developed your technique, you can the look at thinner material.

Keep up the good work.

Second picture is not bad at all for a first attempt.

Mind you, I would need to see the opposite side so as to see the level of penetration.

Ideally, the back should look the same as the front.

How thick is the plate? The reason I ask is that it would be worth using a 1.5mm to 2.0mm thickness just to get the hang of things.

That way you will not have to worry about blowing through so often. Once you have then developed your technique, you can the look at thinner material.

Keep up the good work.

This is 0.9mm.....

the back is like this.....2013-06-27-203.jpg

I was practicing on the piece I bought to do the work and then decided to use for practicing instead.....lol

Going to have another practice when kids in bed.....

This is 0.9mm.....

the back is like this.....[ATTACH=CONFIG]71480[/ATTACH]

I was practicing on the piece I bought to do the work and then decided to use for practicing instead.....lol

Going to have another practice when kids in bed.....

Those vapour trails are from impurities, nothing to owrry about too much really for what your doing. it also look like your holding the torch at 90 degrees to the surface your welding, angle it over to 45 and you will find it easier to see what your doing and the gas will cover the weld better. definite improvements though.

Those vapour trails are from impurities, nothing to owrry about too much really for what your doing. it also look like your holding the torch at 90 degrees to the surface your welding, angle it over to 45 and you will find it easier to see what your doing and the gas will cover the weld better. definite improvements though.

I will try that later......thanks for the advice..... But then again I am stupid.........lol

So as for a reference point, what settings were you using?

If I were you I would make notes of every combination you try and the effects they had.

This way you can always revert back to the ones that gave you the best results.

I have tried different settings tonight and blew holes a lot......lol

There is a switch for high or low power setting only..... So tried high and that is when the piece turned to swiss cheese....lol

Put it back to low setting and wire feed at about 1/2 to 2/3 seems useable for me.....

I tried the 45 degree angle and it worked nicely.....

I am going to put some stickers on settings so I don't forget and can mark what works..... thanks for the tip....

Is it best to push or pull the weld?

I was working from left to right pulling the weld across... I did try pushing from right to left and it seemed harder but the gas seemed to shield the weld better....

I am going to watch a few more youtube welding films....lol

Edited by veilside01702

Im down the unit tomorrow mate, il make a very quick video on a good way to weld and can email it to you. It wont be great quality but it will cover all the basics and should hopefully give you the start you need to get practicing

• Like 1

i never actually thought about youtube lol

The video i made is not as good as those mate, as im trying to hold my ipod and weld at the same time !

You bloody amateur.........ROFL

I can't stop giggling now...... the thought of you balancing an iPod and trying to weld.....lol

I just bought some more steel sheet, anti spatter spray, some magnets and my star buy...... An auto dimming welding mask.....lol

NO more trying to work out where the hell the piece of work is and having to keep lifting up the visor......lol

New skil grinder will be here tomorrow..... so going to get on tomorrow.....yayyyyyyy

So where's the video you made then??

I was looking forward to seeing how much better your welding is than mine.....lol

Edited by veilside01702

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Russ, Any progress?

I wish there had been.... I have made a small section to replace the front floor corner and will post a pic in the next few days....

Have had some issues with an emergency placement with the fostering, so have had lots of police visits and disruption in the past few weeks.... and lack of sleep.....lol

Will be officially out of work as of tomorrow with no more fostering till my son is 2 years old..... so have loads more time to work on car, but no money to do anything now....lol

I have 1 argon bottle left, so going to make panels at weekend and try and get work done next week. If my wife lets me touch the car during the school holidays....lol

I have a neighbor that is from poland. He is currently takling to 2 shops outside gdansk that repair old veteran cars about a complete change of the sills. I haven't got a price yet, but as soon as I do I can post it. I'm going to buy all the replacement sill parts I can. Makes the work for the welder easier.

Since the cars are as old as they are, and I think they are worth repearing then the best solution is to get rid of all rust (inside) the sills, and hopefull it'll last another 10-15 years. And to extend the hoses inside the sill!!