What did you do to your zed today?

I think the shadows created by my house have affected the images. There's no tint on the lenses at all. 

Thanks for info on the centre panel. I'll hopefully get around to it soon. 

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a couple of hours yesterday evening and a couple of hours today removing underseal from suspension components. 

Absolutely horrible job. 

11 hours ago, Gaz 300 said:

A big job I believe Richard. 

Subframe off job. 

I'm going to change all mine whilst I've got the frame off. Not a fun job on Acle stands! 

10 hours ago, Lexx said:

Subframe off job. 

I'm going to change all mine whilst I've got the frame off. Not a fun job on Acle stands! 

Hi Lexx,

It's worth speaking to Jimmer - I thought that too, but Jimmer says he can (just) get to them by removing the drive-shafts.... Perhaps these short cuts are best left to the experts, as no doubt us mere mortals would balls it up.?

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Hi Lexx,
It's worth speaking to Jimmer - I thought that too, but Jimmer says he can (just) get to them by removing the drive-shafts.... Perhaps these short cuts are best left to the experts, as no doubt us mere mortals would balls it up.[emoji6]

He knows many shortcuts like this. When I mentioned we took the bumper off to fit my 99 headlights, he said no need to remove it, you can get to the screws using this extension and so on. I’m sure there’s tonnes of tricks he knows on our cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, RichardS said:

Hi Lexx,

It's worth speaking to Jimmer - I thought that too, but Jimmer says he can (just) get to them by removing the drive-shafts.... Perhaps these short cuts are best left to the experts, as no doubt us mere mortals would balls it up.?

Good to know. 

But too late for me as the subframe is already off and in bits! 

• Like 1

Today, I had my front tyres replaced.....

......Two Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5s in 235/40/18 for £206 fully fitted, at home, by Kwikfit mobile service - can't fault that!

The fitter had to use Nissan's OEM jack though, as his super-compressed-air jobbie would not slide under the car LOL!!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

I’ve recently given the Z a small amount of much needed love and attention whilst it sits quietly, poised and ready for action, on standby, awaiting deployment!
A drop of fresh oil and a replacement battery was on the cards. [emoji41]
ABA1A0CC-888D-4890-A041-D2FB3972A160.thumb.jpeg.034a382a6eb4370d16d511b05cc58b6d.jpeg

I really wanted to use millers oils when I first got the zed this year, since I had previous cars and it really smoothed out the engine idle noise - mind you on diesels this was. I couldn’t find a non competition spec oil from them though, as I was worried the competition spec wouldn’t be suitable for road use in terms of cold temp protection.

Assume you’ve had good experiences with it? Would you recommend considering when I use my zed it’s either to go for a blast or to pop to town etc so mixed use really.

On 04/12/2020 at 12:16, naz27 said:

I really wanted to use millers oils when I first got the zed this year, since I had previous cars and it really smoothed out the engine idle noise - mind you on diesels this was. I couldn’t find a non competition spec oil from them though, as I was worried the competition spec wouldn’t be suitable for road use in terms of cold temp protection.

Assume you’ve had good experiences with it? Would you recommend considering when I use my zed it’s either to go for a blast or to pop to town etc so mixed use really.

It’s been perfectly fine in my experience but I think you’ll be fine with any decent brand oil within the correct spec range. I would suggest that the “competition” title is just fancy marketing and would probably be named as such because it contains expensive ester based synthetics (that need to be replaced more often). I’m not aware that this offers any less protection from a cold start but I will generally bring the engine up to temperature before bringing under too much load regardless of the oil type.

There is an argument to be had regarding the use of fully synthetic oils in older tech engines with higher build tolerances, but with the amount of people using fully synthetic oils in older engines these days, I’m not sure how valid it is. I like the relative comfort offered by the oil when giving it some beans for extended periods on a hot day or on the very few occasions that I have used it in anger on a track!

Its probably a discussion that we’ll be having for many years to come until we start discussing the best fuel cell or what uprated stator windings to use!

Edited by Joely P
  • Like 2

It’s been perfectly fine in my experience but I think you’ll be fine with any decent brand oil within the correct spec range. I would suggest that the “competition” title is just fancy marketing and would probably be named as such because it contains expensive ester based synthetics (that need to be replaced more often). I’m not aware that this offers any less protection from a cold start but I will generally bring the engine up to temperature before bringing under too much load regardless of the oil type.
There is an argument to be had regarding the use of fully synthetic oils in older tech engines with higher build tolerances, but with the amount of people using fully synthetic oils in older engines these days, I’m not sure how valid it is. I like the relative comfort offered by the oil when giving it some beans for extended periods on a hot day or on the very few occasions that I have used it in anger on a track!
Its probably a discussion that we’ll be having for many years to come until we start discussing the best fuel cell or what uprated stator windings to use!

Interesting to know, thanks for the feedback, it’s appreciated. Good point about warming up - I do the same always, even on my daily, so I guess not as much need to worry about cold temp performance.

I’d quite like the high load protection and do love millers oils, so sounds quite good to be honest.

The fact the oil needs to be replaced often due to the expensive Ester based synthetics, is probably suitable for us as we all change oil so frequently. I’ve been sticking to the 3k miles interval or every 6 months.

Today I drove mine down to Bristol - and left it with Jimmer, so he could sort a couple of bits....?

I'm impressed with Jimmer's new unit, plus it's so much easier to get to - only two minutes from M4 junction 18!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phutumsch said:

No wonder he can never get round to doing mine ?.

I saw yours there Andy - both the old and new versions.... New body looks good mate and I love that larger incarnation of the OEM spoiler, it really suits the car!!

1 minute ago, RichardS said:

I saw yours there Andy - both the old and new versions.... New body looks good mate and I love that larger incarnation of the OEM spoiler, it really suits the car!!

You keep your mitts off my spoiler you !!!

It'll all fall into place in 2021 and I'll have a nice thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1