Just Killed my engine

With my tempoary engine a little rattley from the bottom end it was obvious the bearings were going but I hoped it would last the summer. I was then going to drop in the new one and finish the engine conversion but after a night out on Friday in her I have killed the engine. Sound like a bag of spanners even at 800rpm! Had to nurse it home at 20mph this morning, even then I didn't think I would make it.

It's a complete arse becuse now no driving it in summer :mad:

The only thing I considered was trying to change the bearings in situ (depending on crank condition) anyone tried this before??? It would be tempoary to last until October.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Changing bearings in situ is'nt a problem. Get the car in teh air, drop the front subframe so it hangs low and unbolt sump.

The trouble is crank condition, usually the damage is done and considering you have been driving it I'd say there is very little chance of the crank being any good.

The last set I did lasted about 3 miles and the crank looked/felt fine :(

Changing bearings in situ is'nt a problem. Get the car in teh air, drop the front subframe so it hangs low and unbolt sump.

The trouble is crank condition, usually the damage is done and considering you have been driving it I'd say there is very little chance of the crank being any good.

The last set I did lasted about 3 miles and the crank looked/felt fine :(

Best thing is to polish all the journals with at least 2000 wet and dry.

I did mine on our lathe at work, but I guess I'm spoiled having such machinery at my disposal.

Then it won't be off the road all summer then will it! ;)

Have you seen my diary for August!!

Seriously though, I wanted to get the manual conversion done at the same time and the single turbo conversion which I recon will take me at least 6 weeks so say goodbye summer :cry:

It had crossed my mind to just put the new engine in and run it for a month or two then take it back off the road again and do the above but not sure I can face two engine outs:confused:

Why are you bothering with a single turbo conversion?

No one else is runnng one on the forum so fancy the challenge

The last project car I did was a supercharged MI16 peugeot dimma 205, I just like the enjoyment of doing something fairly unique. Beside if I blow the turbo then I won't have to take the engine out like you lot :tongue: