Auto box.........

Well we all know it's a case of "when" and not "if" with these things.

I took the ZX out the other weekend and as usual, the car was running perfectly. However as I was almost home the auto box decided not to operate as normal. Kick-down is fine - instant and fast; the trouble is, the 'box seems a little reluctant to change up!

When I overtook another car, the RPM needle just went straight into the red until the rev limiter kicked in. The 'box only changed up when I backed off the accelerator. It was still fast and responsive though.

When I got home, I checked the fluid - it is nice and pink with no unusual smells (oo-er missus ;) ) and the level is spot on. I used the car for work a couple of days ago and from the off, it would not change up under normal driving until I backed off the accelerator. Even pulling away gently, the car revs to 5k rpm, then changes up. However once warmed up the problem does not seem as bad.

Any suggestions (apart from a manual conversion :p ; although if a new 'box is needed I may go for it) it's a stock UK spec car with a genuine 90k miles?

Cheers people,

Richard :confused:

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I would check the connector on the TPS(the 'box one!)-Mine did this and after a Diagnostic it threw up throttle sensor.

cleaned and fine!-fingers crossed!

Sounds like a good place to start......

.....and easier than replacing a gearbox!! ;)

Thanks,

Richard

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Sounds like electrical problem to me try soft reset of ECU.

are you getting any error codes when you swithch on, power light flashing.

my bet is the ecu which you can check for error codes. has it got wet?

I don't have a power light - it's a UK spec car so the 'box operates in a single mode. I'll check the hand-book to see if there is a light for the 'box.

Thanks for all your suggestions chaps - it's a little bit of relief to think it may not be terminal ;)

Richard :smw: