Tyres - Is this true? Bridgestone S02/S03/S04 / Goodyear F1s

Guest Jez

Can't afford new wheels at the mo, so getting some tyres.

Phoned up and found the Bridgestone S02s are now replaced by S03s as I thought. Apparently S03s are not as good and will be replaced by S04s soon anyhow. He said a lot of people complained about S03s being not so good.

Anyone tried S02s, then changed to S03s?

Also tried bridgestone vs Goodyear F1s?

Also he also tells me, you can no long get goodyears for the 300. As the rears are no longer made in the new pattern F1 GSD3 (and fronts you can get). Pants huh?

BTW - prices I got quoted were:

Bridgestone S02 - can still get some old stock, luckily.

Rears - £149 all in each.

Front - £120

Jez.

------------------

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They claim that S02s are better tyres and technically the same spec so the same price. However I think that they know I need them so they charge the same.

Where is Micheldever and do you have a tel-no. I really would like to get just 2 rear 245s for now, in the SP2 pattern.

I'm around High-Wycombe, so Slough, Heathrow, M25 -> M40/M4 junctions are all good places to reccomend any tyres places for me!!!??? please!

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Jez (edited 08-07-2002).]

Guest 300z

yeah i went form so2s to so3s and i cant notice any difference to be honest.

they seem the same and if anything the so3s seem grippier in the dry.

Guest Nico

After this weekend - I wouldn't buy Michellin lol biggrin.gif

------------------

Z ya

Nico91TT

smlerZlogo.jpg

God is coming ...and he dont have stock turbos . . .

Guest jvnewcomb1961

Definately recommend Toyo Proxes T1-S, so much better then Pirelli PZero Assimetricos

------------------

jn300tn.jpg

"Before it blew up"

156mph.jpg

"Dirty at 156mph!"

---------------

Z first and anything else is secondary and live life a quarter mile at a time!

John Newcomb (NukeEm)

www.geocities.com/jn300zxtt

Guest 300z

If you havent had Bridgestones you havent had tyres yet biggrin.gif

Im converted and will never turn back, by far and away the best tyre ive had yet, although i hear that goodyear have come out with some good stuff now.

Guest Jezz_S13

Originally posted by Nelson MainFella:

TOYO's kick ass !!

Yep they do. smile.gif

The S-03 wasn't a replacement for the S-02, the S-04 is/will be.

I've heard they are scrapping the S-03 cos it's not too good, could be wrong though.

[This message has been edited by Jezz_S13 (edited 08-07-2002).]

Guest Ay3388

so3 quite literaaly ARE the replacement for so2. hehehe. its like that, and thats the way it is. Theres no denying that fact, the so2 were taken off market, and the so3 were put on the market. That says to me, *replacement* smile.gif dont know about you.

Whether they are the 'spiritual successor' is another thing. I think the idea is not that so3 are bad per se, just that some people who were used to driving the so2 have a new tyre and have to adapt to the way it drives. Some people I know have said it wasnt as good as the so2, but its still probably the best tyre on the market. I had heard the so4 rumour since so3 were released, ask srrae, ive been saying it for ages! but alas, bridgestone are no show with the goods.

Its just a case of the fact the tyre feels different, not that it doesnt have as much 'grip', and people were set in their ways with dricing the so2.

having said ALLLlll that, id still like a nice set of so2! hehehehe biggrin.gif theres just a bit of ethos about them smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Ay3388 (edited 08-07-2002).]

Guest Ay3388

Totally awesome double post!

and for the money toyos are probably the best tyre to have! *for the money* smile.gif

I can vow for that.

Ay3388 has been saying to me, even before the S03's came out that Bridgestone are developing the S04. The S03 really was just an inbetween tyre with no reall difference in performance.

The reason I think people still want the S02's is because they look the part when on a sports car. The S03's look like a normal tyre.

Staurt

Guest Ay3388

Hey,

do you mean the rim protector? That stops your wheel hitting the kerb, yes it has them. Its got s super duper all singin all dancing beading to make sure the tyre is ultra round too! hehehe smile.gif

http://www.bridgestone-eu.com/english/bs/range/psr/product/s03.htm

these arent bad tyres by any stretch of the imagination, I think a lot of people have been put off cos it doesnt look as cool as the so2 smile.gif not that it matters when you lay £20 worth of tyre on the road though, hehehe.

But each to their own, looks do mean something of course smile.gif

edit:

ooh this is nice, just tried this link: http://www.bridgestone-eu.com/english/bs/range/psr/product/s02.htm

and it works, for a bit of a comparison to the so2

Guest Ay3388

Oh and they will charge the same price too, most places will, cos tyre places dont particularly care about simply stock turnaround, they will have bought for a particular price and will want to sell at the same price as when they were sold *officially* if you get me. It makes no odds to them, cos theyd be selling you the so3 or so2 at one price.

Anyways, you'll be more than happy with any of the tyres you mentioned (at least you bleedin well should be happy!) apart from the so4 cos they dont exist smile.gif hehehe.

It does all depend on what you want to spend and what tyres you wanna tell people you have in the 'pub talk' (admittedly that would be a reasonably boring pub conversation smile.gif) but its about bragging rights too, and you can say you have bridgestone so2 or so3 and you know the story behind them smile.gif

But check out the toyos too - you'll be suprised, they look good and perform well, i havent heard many - if any - bad words about toyos.

Guest TopSquads

Originally posted by Jez:

Also tried bridgestone vs Goodyear F1s?

Also he also tells me, you can no long get goodyears for the 300. As the rears are no longer made in the new pattern F1 GSD3 (and fronts you can get). Pants huh?

This seems pretty strange as I have just taken delivery of a nice new set of Eagle F1's......378.93 delivered to my door then 20 pounds to get them fitted by the guy's at Quick Fit.

Job done.

Less road noise, more grippy that's for sure.......

biggrin.gif

Matty.

------------------

CG596.jpg

Guest TopSquads

Originally posted by Jez:

Where did you get the Eagle F1s at that price?

That can't be a full set of 4? Or is it?

Yes for a full set of 4........directional rubber boots!!!

From micheldever www.micheldever.co.uk

The site is down at moment for some reason but the number is; 01962 774437

They are a friendly bunch, good service and very good price too!!

biggrin.gif

Matty.

------------------

CG596.jpg

Hmmmmm - site suddenly disappearing? I know it says "closed for refurbishment" but sites going off-line always makes me a little nervous.

Wasn't there another tire place which suddenly went off-line and caused some forum guy(s) problems?

Not saying these are related - I went round to the Protyres place in Slough on Leigh's recommendation and found them big slick and professional. A pleasure to talk to and afaik knowledgeable.

Just be careful, is all.

Guest TopSquads

Gio,

Deffo no worries mate, I asked and they are upgrading the site, no more no less.

They don't just supply tyres they do;

Tyres

Exhausts

Batteries

Shocks

Brakes

Alloy Wheels

And they have been around for a long time (30 years to exact) Also approved members of the NTDA.

No fly by night people there me thinks, I can only go on what I have found and the excellent reputation they have on the forum, alot of people on here use them.

They are the cheapest I have found, service was top drawer.

biggrin.gif

Matty.

------------------

CG596.jpg

[This message has been edited by TopSquads (edited 08-07-2002).]

Just had to buy a set of tyres meself, had the SO2's for a good 2 years and was well impressed, after reading various reports on other car sites about S03's i decided on something else, went to www.topgear.co.uk and spoke to the owner who owns a Zed, he uses the new Yoko AVS Sport's and swears by em, sp plonked for a pair of them, 255/45/18 at £175 each, just burned me old ones up last nite, so will see tomorrow how the news are, nice looking tyre though.

cheers

smithy cool.gif

Guest Ay3388

also, micheldever arent like an e-commerce site, they are a proper tyre place who happen to have a website, its just the last one had really limited functionality, like a scan of the catalogue, hehe, but they get mentioned on a lot of forums for many makes of cars, so they must have seen the light.

(i knew id use a full stop at some point!)