300zx vs BMW 330

Guest wild turkey

Guest wild turkey

I was pulling out right from a side road onto the A164 and a BMW was behind me also pulling out the same way, he pulled out with me and was right on my tailgate...so i slammed the anchors on as it was pissing me off...he then went to overtake and i realised what he was upto, so down to 2nd gear down goes the pedal and even though he had moved out to overtake he couldn't gain any ground and was resigned to sitting behind... we reach a round about and coming out from the roundabout we're off again, still he cant make any ground on me, but i cant get away either..well it was pissing with rain, traffic was busy, so i just stayed where i was, he was obviously mad as he overtook about 6 cars at once...fuck that..if he wants to kill himself thats upto him....

I was surprised with how i couldn't get away, my zed is totally standard except for exhaust.

steve

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest charis300zx

I was in the same situation once i was in front and i couldn't gain any distance mine was standart auto.Next day i decided to start modifying my car

Guest wild turkey

the same tohughts passed my mind as well...i already have the chip and boost controller, but wsnt going to sort it out for a few weeks yet... those beemmmers are fast though

Guest Timmy_Turbo

Steve, you're racing BMW's when you're supposed to be running in???

I hope for your sake you've covered that 500 miles coz I never took my car over 3000 rpm for more like 1000 miles after my rebuild!

------------------

sig.gif

Guest Timmy_Turbo

I'd still take it easy though bud, certainly NO wot antics just yet. You should gradually open up easing more throttle and revs on in stages. Dropping into 2nd and flooring it to the boards is not a great idea IMO! wink.gif

------------------

sig.gif

Maintaining a light load on the engine is more important than sticking to specific rev limits. It is sometimes argued that specific rev limits can cause problems because it tends to lead to steps in newly honed bores which leads to early piston ring failure !

Guest Timmy_Turbo

That wouldn't apply in Steves and my case though with us only having head work done. wink.gif

------------------

sig.gif

Guest wild turkey

Originally posted by Nelson MainFella:

Try using the overdrive button on the Auto gearbox !

A 300ZX is more than a match for a BMW 330 !

www.parkers.co.uk

manual me, but wont get into that

ste,how sick are ya gonna be when it all goes POP!

GIVE IT TIME TO BED IN M8!FFS

Every time you thrash the fuck outa ya car ya risking fooookin it.

even tho you have just done ya first 500 miles ,i wouldnt be running it too hard until u have done ya first oil change(3000 miles)

ive had enough experience to tell you that the better you run it in ,the better it will be in the long run!

jay

[This message has been edited by jaylox (edited 05-07-2002).]

Guest Grant

My brother has a new 330 cab with the improved steering. I've driven it and it is lovely. Plenty of power, smooth and a reasonably sporty ride. It is not a match for my Z though, either in handling or power.

I've also driven an earlier 330 coupe before they improved the steering. I thought the handling was light and lacked in feedback. This put me off buying it unless I could get an upgrade from one of the aftermarket tuners like Hartge or Birds.

The sales guy kept saying / asking me on the test drive, it's powerful...isn't it. He couldn't believe it when I said I thought it was slow, lacked in driver feedback and the traction control was crap. Bearing in mind this is nearly £40k's worth of car.

When turning out of a tight junction and flooring it the traction control kept cutting in. I don't know if this was a fault with this particular one, but it wasn't a pleasure to drive with any kind of enthusiasm.

When I got back in my car after the test drive it felt like a race car in comparison. The sheer pleasure of driving it eclipsed the BMW.

I am still trying to get my mate to take his new M3 to North Weald this Sunday so as to shut him up once and for all about how quick his car is.

Now... an M3 Cab may be a candidate for my next purchase, but it will have to be more of a drivers car than the 330.

Grant

Guest Howdy TT

Originally posted by wild turkey:

I was pulling out right from a side road onto the A164 and a BMW was behind me also pulling out the same way, he pulled out with me and was right on my tailgate...so i slammed the anchors on as it was pissing me off...he then went to overtake and i realised what he was upto, so down to 2nd gear down goes the pedal and even though he had moved out to overtake he couldn't gain any ground and was resigned to sitting behind... we reach a round about and coming out from the roundabout we're off again, still he cant make any ground on me, but i cant get away either..well it was pissing with rain, traffic was busy, so i just stayed where i was, he was obviously mad as he overtook about 6 cars at once...fuck that..if he wants to kill himself thats upto him....

I was surprised with how i couldn't get away, my zed is totally standard except for exhaust.

steve

Might have been a 330TD..they have masses of torque in the mid range (about 290lbs ft)and thats what gives the good acceleration...not outright power! wink.gif

...so i slammed the anchors on as it was pissing me off...

...if he wants to kill himself thats upto him....

Forgive me for being an old git but if you're slamming on your anchors in the rain because someone is behind you then I'd suggest that you'll be helping him to kill himself !

Like I say, I'm an old git, but I'm happy to let a tailgater past me. More than once I've waved when I've let them past and then gone past them again by the roadside with the old bill behind them. It's far more satisfying than a dent in the rear bumper.

Personally I quite like the idea that it might have been a diesel ...

Anyone wanna race me in the Shogun ?