Central locking and door motors

Hi

My passenger side door has not locked for a while now with the central locking. The central locking I am controlling from the alarm key fob. You can see the door lock move inside the car when you press the lock button, but it does not move enough to lock the door. You have to push it in fully by hand to lock it. My drivers side door today has started doing the same thing. Again, the door lock is moving but just not quite enough, and again I have to push the lock in myself, but literally on the drivers side it is about 1mm that I push it in, then close the door and it will be locked.

Is this just a case of the door motors being old and weakened over time, so they don't pull the lock enough anymore? Or could it be anything to do with the alarm and the motor that they have to put on the drivers side for the central locking to work?

Thanks

Colin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi mate, this is an example of one of the door motors. I presume they are standard ones. The passenger side one I fitted a couple of months ago, brought second hand from someone on here after my existing one made strange noises. However, since the central locking wasn't working at the time, I couldn't test it. The driver one is also recently fitted by the previous owner, again a second hand unit.

DSC00419.jpg

Are the actual motors adjustable, or do you mean something else? The alarm fitter had a look at the passenger door motor a couple of months back when he got the central locking working again, and said that the motor wasn't adjustable and that the one fitted was weak and a new one should fix the problem.

The driver one I'm not really sure why it's suddenly stopped working today, because it doesn't look like it is moving the lock any less than it always has done when it worked.

Might just get two brand new ones, and hope that it fixes it. How much would you be looking for for the 2 you have?

Thanks

Colin

No I haven't had them retrimmed. Funny thing is, have just gone out to the car and the drivers side is now locking! Tried it several times in a row and the door was locked each time. Not sure how long that will last for. As suggested though, will take the door cards off tomorrow and get some WD40 sprayed on. Would be awesome if that fixes it, as it's quiet annoying having to remember to lean over and lock the passenger door before I get out the car.

No I haven't had them retrimmed. Funny thing is, have just gone out to the car and the drivers side is now locking! Tried it several times in a row and the door was locked each time. Not sure how long that will last for. As suggested though, will take the door cards off tomorrow and get some WD40 sprayed on. Would be awesome if that fixes it, as it's quiet annoying having to remember to lean over and lock the passenger door before I get out the car.

report back after you do it bud :)

I've been needing to sort mine for a few weeks but been too busy. If you need new actuators you can get them from maplins for £10-20, loads cheaper than the clifford installed ones on my car that are playing up. I have to get in on the passenger side because the drivers side is jammed. Bloody annoying.

Have just finished on the car. Passenger side has had WD40 sprayed on it. Has made no difference at all. The lock just doesn't move far enough when you use the central locking. Driver side stopped working again this morning, so used WD40 on that side as well. Again it made no difference. However, I have fixed it by adjusting the rod that comes with the Clifford actuator that they installed. Where this joins on near the lock, I undid the screw, moved the rod along a couple of millimetres and then tightened up. Locks perfectly now :)

Could I get one of these actuators from Maplins and fit it on the passenger side or would that not work?

Have just finished on the car. Passenger side has had WD40 sprayed on it. Has made no difference at all. The lock just doesn't move far enough when you use the central locking. Driver side stopped working again this morning, so used WD40 on that side as well. Again it made no difference. However, I have fixed it by adjusting the rod that comes with the Clifford actuator that they installed. Where this joins on near the lock, I undid the screw, moved the rod along a couple of millimetres and then tightened up. Locks perfectly now :)

Could I get one of these actuators from Maplins and fit it on the passenger side or would that not work?

I think the actuators your on about are the ones I have,should work if you already have one rtro-fitted for the alarm.