ecu .will it make any difference without jets

will a S-E or JWT chip make any difference to the performance of your car without boost jets?

ive had mine chipped and took out the JETS and found no difference to bfr it was chipped

[This message has been edited by jaylox (edited 14-06-2002).]

when i first had my car chipped i had jets put in but i was using normal unleaded and my car kept going into safety boost,after advice on the forum i started to use optimax and although it cured the problem mostly i still have my car going into safety boost every now and then.

i have now takin the jets out and are going to buy a controller,

could the chip of not been giving the right signals(not enuff fuel) which is why i was going into safety boost(maybe DETONATION)

or would you say the jets were giving too much boost

Guest wild turkey

why dont you take it to falcon engineering and get them to look at it? you can say hello to my poorly zed still sitting in their garage. i have also bought a jwt chip, uprated turbos and will not put the chip in until i have bought the digital boost control and will then get falcon to do it. they do seem to kow what they are on about there. The boss there (steve crawford) owned a zed for 6yrs. say no more

Guest andyduff

Jay,

Dettonation has a sound similar to rattling bolts in a biscuit tin. I doubt that it was the jets causing detting, that was putting the car into safety boost! More likely is a bad connection on the temp sensor wink.gif Check the left hand connector on the top metal coolant pipe at the front of the engine. Check it for any corrosion etc and measure the resistance of the sensor. Also check your ecu for error codes. If boost jets cause detting then so will a boost controller!!! What boost was it running to???

CheerZ,

Andy

Too much boost can cause detonation and you can't just stick one size of jet in a car and assume that the boost will be say 14psi. It varies from car to car and you need an accurate boost gauge to make sure that what you end up with is safe. If it is detting with the jets in then you can retard the timing a little but that is a bit self defeating because it will reduce the power anyway. Too much boost with the standard maps is likely to cause problems, too much boost with the JWT maps is still dangerous but will permit more boost before detting starts.

Put that JWT chip back, find out how much boost you are getting and if it's more than 14psi then get fractionally larger jets to reduce it a little. (All the time checking on your accurate boost gauge of course smile.gif)

andy thanks for the advice,i had the car checked on a consult its the 02 sensor needs replacing.cheers bud

turkey! ive had an engine rebuild and a new engine in my car at FALCON..they do no their stuff a top garage!

steve is not a bad guy either.

Originally posted by AndyP:

Too much boost can cause detonation and you can't just stick one size of jet in a car and assume that the boost will be say 14psi. It varies from car to car and you need an accurate boost gauge to make sure that what you end up with is safe. If it is detting with the jets in then you can retard the timing a little but that is a bit self defeating because it will reduce the power anyway. Too much boost with the standard maps is likely to cause problems, too much boost with the JWT maps is still dangerous but will permit more boost before detting starts.

Put that JWT chip back, find out how much boost you are getting and if it's more than 14psi then get fractionally larger jets to reduce it a little. (All the time checking on your accurate boost gauge of course smile.gif)

This is why a proper boost controller is a better option, as they are for more adjustable and they have safety functions built into them. Jets also cause spike and are never very accurate.

On the upside jets don't tend to get 'fiddled' with, so if correctly and conservatively set it could be argued that they are less likely to cause problems.

However, for maximum performance there is no substitute for a properly configured boost controller.

most boost controllers have a key code that can be put in to them by the people who install it ect, so that the unit can not be fiddled with. But that takes the fun away from it lol.

How long does it take to change jets?

Just interested.

thanks andy and warren,ive been really carefull with my boost,1 thing i was deffo not going to have was another new engine,thats for sure.

ive now invested in a HKS IV CONTROLLER.glad to get rid of those jets ,they scarred the shit out a me!!

thanks guys advice appreciated.jay