NZR New Ferrari engined Alfa

I might have to sell my Z - 400bhp V8 which will no doubt sound awesome!

brera3.jpg

brera4.jpg

brera5.jpg

brera6.jpg

brera1.jpg

brera2.jpg

Christened the Brera, the Giugiaro-penned stunner was unveiled at this year's Geneva Motor Show. Mixing Alfa heritage with a daring, futuristic design, the newcomer stands shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the most famous classic Alfas, thanks to its flowing wings that curve inward to meet the traditional shield shaped radiator grille.

At the rear, the car's composite bodywork recalls the legendary Giuli-etta Sprint, with a domed window that extends deep into the roof. Stylised headlights complete the look, and are reminiscent of the SZ supercar of the Eighties. Inside, the attention to detail is further evidence of the Alfa's love affair with the past, with an attractive padded dashboard, ornate dials and excellent sports seats. Scissor doors, operated by unusual twisting handles that pop out of the bodywork, are more modern. But while it's full of retro hints, the Brera looks bang up to date and elegant, courtesy of deep flanks, and its aerodynamic stance and fluid lines.

It's incredible stuff, but the coupé's ability to exhilarate only really becomes evident as you turn the key. That's because the technology set to propel the Alfa is state-of-the-art. Sporting a V8 powerplant de-signed and built by Ferrari and which recently made its debut in the Maserati GT, the car offers a Formula One-style sequential gearbox mounted in the rear axle to improve weight distribution.

At idle, the exhaust trembles to a dull growl. Blip the throttle and it snarls like an angry tiger, straining to be let out. Press the pedal to the floor, and the Brera doesn't disappoint. Although Alfa says production models will have a tubular spaceframe chassis and not the shortened Maserati platform of this prototype, our test car was quick and cornered well.

Fat tyres and direct steering provide plenty of feedback to the driver, but the suspension is too hard to offer any comfort and will be much different by the time the coupé hits showrooms in 2004. One thing that won't be changed, however, is the semi-automatic six-speed sequential transmission, which offers swift, easy gearchanges. The shift is at its best as you hold the Brera in gear and use the steering wheel paddles to swap cogs as the rev counter soars towards the red line.

From our first impressions, it's obvious the Brera has plenty of promise, not least because it's one of the most gorgeous coupés to have been unveiled in recent memory. By the time it reaches production, however, things could be even better. Insiders claim the Brera will not only have stunning styling, it will also be one of the finest handling cars built by the Fiat Group.

Officials hint it may be available with a 4.5-litre, 400bhp turbocharged V8 sourced from Cadillac's soon-to-be-launched performance edition of the CTS. This arrangement is possible thanks to growing links between Alfa's parent company Fiat and US giant GM.

[This message has been edited by ChrisC (edited 13-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ChrisC (edited 13-06-2002).]

Guest Timmy_Turbo

That is sex on wheels! IMO

Always loved Alfas but never dared to own one due to the unreliability factor! But hey, fuck it, have owned a Z so they can't be worse can they? LMFAO biggrin.gif

------------------

sig.gif

lions.jpg

I've always liked 'em and the engines always sound awesome - way better than you expect in what are mostly family cars these days.

I had a 1.7 16v Boxer Flat Four which sounded like a meaty Subaru and the 145 Cloverleaf 2.0 Twin Spark which was a superb little hot hatch. Their 3.0 V6 is just stunning - sounds superb and everything is chromed!

I've loved 'em ever since I saw that SZ supercar mentioned in the article.

My 145 had a few electrical accessory problems and the gearbox stuck in 5th once but was fine on inspection at the dealer.

Not really what you want from a brand new car but worth it for the fun of owning it.

Unlike Z owners they always flash you or give a wave and I used to get nearly as many people approaching me to look at the car as with the Z.

Guest Ay3388

I had actually put a devastatingly witty repartie to your mini / alfa statement, but I have decided that I shall not be coaxed into a wrangle over the your obvious lack of taste and the undeniable ethos that is held by Italian cars!

Ciao Ciao

biggrin.gif tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Ay3388 (edited 13-06-2002).]

Originally posted by Ay3388:

NEw mini, you flippin chump! smile.gif

You obviosuly got no style mac 1 wink.gif

Each to their own I guess.

but you still have no style :P

not saying I do either! hehe

How do you work that one out I NEVER HAVE LIKED ALFAS AND I NEVER WILL tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

------------------

maxpower2.jpg

Guest Ay3388

Ah so, you got my original reply, I worked it out from your statement about not liking alfas...you dont like alfas you have no style. Further strengthened by you second statement which mean youve never had style and you never will! haha wink.gif

Biyeeee heheh smile.gif

Ah so, you got my original reply, I worked it out from your statement about not liking alfas...you dont like alfas you have no style. Further strengthened by you second statement which mean youve never had style and you never will! haha wink.gif

Biyeeee heheh smile.gif

Ay.33 of a brain cell,are you for real?So if anyone does not like Alfas they have no style?What the fuck is that all about?So you want to get personal do you? Well get into you pathetic Alfasud and and piss off,I am a 300 owner on a 300 website,If I said I did not like Alfas on an Alfa website,then I would expect to be shot down,If you want to argue for the sake of it then mail me,am sure we can sort something out.PRICK.

------------------

maxpower2.jpg

[This message has been edited by MAC 1 (edited 14-06-2002).]

Mac 1, it was a joke, you are after all so quick to dish it out to others, anyway i take it all back.

Ciao

I dish out to others,they are the people I talk to on the phone and consider friends,it is no other than a little banter among us,then MR Smart Twat comes on and thinks its funny to get personal,WELL I DONT.

I don't hate all Italion cars,infact some are very nice but Alfas must stand along side Fiats and Lancia IMHO TOTAL SHIT.

------------------

maxpower2.jpg