MOT Failure. Emissions! Help.

I havent got much info... but here 's what there is

Refusal of an MOT test Cert VT30.

Item on list

002..Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.2b)

005 Exhaust system has a major leak of exhaust gases. (7.1.2a)

Sooooooooo!

I know how to fix the exhaust hole. LOL

BUT is it affecting the emissions???

What else might cause the high CO content??

Whats 2nd fast idle BTW???

HELP!

Got 7 days to get this and other bits done and in for a hopefully PASS Retest.

92 J spec TT auto BTW . Big cone airfilter, decats and large bore Zorst. AFAIK Stock engine. Good turbos- no visible smoke

pete,do what i done for a big drop in emisions after the reading was high,

before you take it in go for a fast hard drive to get the cats upto working temp

when in the station take the small vac pipe off the balance bar and let the engine ingest more air, (it works believe me). Had the same probs myself till i did this ;)

pete,do what i done for a big drop in emisions after the reading was high,

before you take it in go for a fast hard drive to get the cats upto working temp

when in the station take the small vac pipe off the balance bar and let the engine ingest more air, (it works believe me). Had the same probs myself till i did this

Cheers. Im gonna drive it back to yorkshire I think for the retest so it should be warmed up. Has been decatted tho, so no cats to heat up.

But I will take that pipe off before I go in for the retest too.

I might try it locally on someones analyser before I go.

what was the CO reading??

unless its a 95 on car it should have had a non cat test. max CO 3.5% at idle!

if its more than that then you really want to fix the problem anyway! test your O2 sensors 1st bud

92 on a J. I only have the fail cert VT30 to work on.

Thanks for the advice I wasnt going to use the car without doing a full check(Conzult) But I was keen to get a ticket this week on it.

92 tt should be tested to 3.5% co and 1200 p.p.m. hydrocarbons, looks like mot station has bet ( basic emissions test ) yours which they shouldnt have done, car will not pass a bet test without cats being fitted, but only 300zx's after 95 require the bet test anything before that is older type test.

Go back and ask for the emissions print out, they should always provide this to the vehicle presenter, and they have to keep a copy themselves. Ive a sneaky suspicion they have tested it incorrectly but you will need the print out to confirm this.

If you have problems with them send me a PM, I may be able to help ;)

Go back and ask for the emissions print out, they should always provide this to the vehicle presenter, and they have to keep a copy themselves. Ive a sneaky suspicion they have tested it incorrectly but you will need the print out to confirm this.

SPOT ON!

Went back this morning as it was last day for retest.

I had already noticed on the Fail sheet that he had the car down as Dec 92. Showed him the log book which just says 92 with no month. Than I pointed out that the DVLA had issued a J plate indicating a late 91 early 92 manufacture date.

Mr F. at MJP confirmed the model/chassis numbers as late 91.

He had done a "cat " test before and tried to tell me that the DVLA computer told him to do it.

I politely asked him to enter the reg again and it came up as a 91 to Jul 92 vehicle!!!! So 1.5% CO was well within the 3.5% limit.

So he mumbled something... went into the office ... and re appeared with the MOT saying the DVLA Computer had accepted it! Whatever. I put the fee in his hand , grabbed the ticket and headed for the door.

YAHOOO! I got a ticket to ride!

Now its just got to go down to Z Worx so Mickey can breathe a little magic on it and fix a couple of little niggles and then I can look for a new owner for it.

Well I wouldnt want to be seen riding round in a four seat family saloon with windows where the roof should be :nono:

Not only that... somebody has nicked the clutch pedal :rofl:

thanks to Ossian, Mike at MJP and everyone else who has helped on this one. ;)

Dont ya just love it when a plan comes together???

Wanna buy it???? :)

If he'd done it right first time you wouldnt have had muck about trying to fix something that wasnt broke. glad its done now though, hope he didnt charge you for both tests !!!!!

Hmm exactly. The problem was I didnt own the car when it failed first time. So I had little idea what had ben done. The previous owner was kind enough to give me the fail sheet with the car. It was up to me whether I broke the car or fixed it. I paid the owner his asking and took it away.

MOT man was NOT going to own up to the mistake. He just blamed the DVLA Computer. (yeah right! :rolleyes: )

I just paid the £20 retest and left with the ticket. Thats all I wanted.

Micky will do the o2 sensors anyway. So not really any time or money wasted. And it has been an entertaining thread :rofl: