***my God Dont Let This Be What I Think It Is***

Guest dgsignmakers

Guest dgsignmakers

been out in my car today and cruisin about. a couple of times i thought i heard a very faint rattle comin from the engine whe i changed gear. never really listened for this sound before. and only owned her for a few weeks. i own a st mondeo v6 and she has a very funny knockin sound as you rev the engine up then release. this i know to be the usual v6 knock. i have owned loads of v6 cars and they all have a funny sound at certain revs on overrun. now i dont know if i,m being paranoid but i also noticed a drop in oil pressure. i checked the oil and it was at bottom of dip stick. i topped her up and the oil pressure came up to normal again. now i know wat you will say and i should of checked oil sooner but as i said i bought the car 3 weeks ago and have been on hols for a week so i didnt excpect the oil to drop so quickly. anyway took her for a very lengthy and very hard drive down a nice peice of disused airfield after i topped her up thinkin if shes gonna go then surely she will let go under very heavy load. after a coupl of 130+ runs up and down. i stood parked her up and checked the oil pressure which still was ok. but that faint rattle was still there at around 2000 revs after a blip on throttle. done a couple more runs but all seems ok. am i being paranoid???? or could it just be a bit cammy. any one had bottom end failure? does it happen quickly or does it take a while, could it be top ends? :nelson:

tappet noise is quite common... would have thought that top and bottom bearing failure would be apparent all the time, not just over certain revs.... UK specs are maped for 95 i think so it shouldnt be detting...

I'd do an oil change. Check the old oil for any signs of debris. If you're really unlucky you could find bits of shell in the old oil :(

If all'l ok, put a good quality oil back in like Silkolene ProS and see if she quietens down.

Fingers crossed for you bud!

Guest dgsignmakers

well i have had bottom end failure on a coupl of motors and this dosent soud any where near as bad . like i said you have to really listen for it and when driving you cant hear anything even under load. what oil should i use. i put 5 . 40 in fully synth. shoul i put a slightly thicker oil in

when you think you have a problem with your car the best thing to do is see a reputable garage or ask on here NOT drive at 130mph to see if the problem is terminal :D

I think someone on here had a simple problem once, they decided to do a 155mph run and turned a £200 fault into a £4000 fault

Guest dgsignmakers

:D well i had her up on the ramps today and dropped the oil and filter and replaced the oil with some decent stuff, i tried 10 40 castrol magnatec and she seems to be running nice and quiet. oil pressure is up a bit too. been running around in her and she seems fine. i think i was just a little paranoid as wen i checked the oil last night it was real low and she took a litre and a half to top her up. but not knowing what was in her originally i thought it bettre to put new stuff in today. fingers crossed :D